Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

tips for new co-anglers!

Started by travisx15, December 31, 2010, 08:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travisx15

share your tips for new co-anglers. how many rods and how much tackle can a co bring?

TCook

First off bring everything you think you might need on that body of water with you. Talk to your boater at the meeting and ask how he will be fishing and what to bring. Ask if he has a compartment you can use to store your gear to keep from cluttering up the boat. Get a bag that would fit 5 3700 boxes max and load that up according to how you want to fish when taking into account your boaters plans. Take the necessary rods for those techniques maximum of 5. If your thinking about the bfls 4 of those are big water smallmouth fisheries so I would likely bring these 5 setups: dropshot, tube, deep crank, top/jerk, jig rod in case your boater gets desperate and fishes for LM. Bring your own food and drinks, I would also recommend getting a save face mask for the long wet runs and dramamine if you tend to get motion sick when fishing in big swells.
FISH HARD!!!

SethV

Tim is right on.  Ask your boater at the meeting if he has space in compartments, cooler, ect.  I always leave a rear compartment empty for the co and plenty of space in the cooler so he doesn't need to bring an extra cooler.

As for rods, I don't care how many my co brings, but usually more than 5 or 6, they start getting tangled and it takes extra time to untangle them.  Also, bring covers for your cranks - it keeps treble hooks out of the seat, out of you and from tangling up other rods.  We often run big water and waves tend to tangle things up fast.

Tim mentioned a mask - also a good idea if you will be making a long run (helments are great also).  Even on sunny days, a good rain suit is a must on the big water.

If you want a rear seat (or if you don't) let the boater know your preference. 

Make sure you understand when and where to meet in the morning.  With the pairing text messages in the BFL you should have his cell, but verify the number.

Let your boater know if you can't back a trailer - and this is not the time to learn with his truck and trailer in the dark on a busy ramp.  Take it slow when you are dumping him in.

Boaters may not always tell you exactly where and what you will be doing the night before - but you can at least usually find out if you are smallmouth or largemouth fishing.  That helps narrow what to bring quite a bit.

Have fun!!!   ;D

Seth

REEL_MAN

Both Tim and Seth are correct. I've fished both ends of the boat and have enjoyed both. The one thing I've learned is that the boater has put in a lot of time and effort finding spots.
But, he isn't finding spots for you, he is fishing for himself. Yes most of the boaters want for their co to do well. As a boater I wanted my co to do well, I felt it reflected on me as to how well the co does.
  But as a co I didn't go to my boater as tell him all the fish stories unless he asked and then I kept it short. I NEVER shared locations of other boaters. If I did share it was only locations that I had found on my own.
One last thing, remember the boater has not only put in the time to prefish but he has put in money for gas and travel. Make sure you give him some money to help and make sure they take it even if they only run a mile from the ramp.

Good luck to all this coming year.

REELMAN
<))))>{

Dan

I too have fished the BFLs and did so from the back of the boat. I traveled with a boater and we split expenses.
I did consider that part of my participation was to pay gas money to my tournament draw partner. Most often I gave my tournament boater money the night we met. I felt that it was just a part of my entry and by giving the money up front, before we launched, made it a better partnership.
I had good rides in all of my events, and made what I would call good friends. I didn't win any events but did cash several checks.
I went on to fish the regional down in Tennessee on Cherokee Lake. I always looked at each event as more of an experience over a tournament that I went out to win.  I did fish to win though and made the best of each outing.
As a back seater you can't make decisions about where you go so really you are along for the ride. If you accept that set of circumstances you'll have a good time. If you are interested in looking at some BFL pictures, and reading my report on the events, check out the main page button for the BFLs on my teardropbass.com website.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Mojo

Coanaglers .... The CARDINAL sin you cannot commit is to hook a mans vinyl or step on it. You must take every precaution. SLOW down. Buy lure wraps for EVERY rod, and re wrap after each rod you set down. Being in someones house, a mess is tolerable if you keep it on the back deck. And when the boater says time to go , DO NOT hold him up by having to take 5 min to store all your mess. I learned this the hard way and I AM working on it. Im not perfect, and as soon as I get there I'll be a boater but hey  ::) Thanks for tolerating my mess.

And now, I ask a moment of silence:

To thank all the boaters who clear out the left rear compartment so we Co's have a place to store our masks, drink, lunch and raingear. It means more than you know. Thanks.

Mojo
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Skulley

Mojo ought to write a book about being a back boater.  He walks the talk when it comes to this subject.

BD                          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Big dreams

I have always wondered how Angler/Co-Anglers worked.  I have only fished in a couple of tournaments that were all small time.  How much are the FLW tournaments on average?

BgD

t-bone

If your talking about the numbers of anglers in the local BFL - last year they averaged around 80-90 boats a tournament.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

MadWags

Best tip fo  a co. .......... drum roll...........
Buy a boat!
hahahahahahahah!
Sometimes I crack myself up.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Dan

Costs for BFLs: $100 entry fee, minimum of $50 for your contribution for boat gas. You have to be there the night before, so you may incur a hotel expense. Your gas there and back. You need to have licenses and in the Michigan BFLs, besides your Michigan license, you need a Canadian, and a Walpole Island.  You may need an Ohio license as well. They are a lot of fun and a good way to experience a larger tournament.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Big dreams

Does the boat owner stay up front or does it switch on and off through out the day?

BgD

t-bone

Boater is fishing against other boaters and stays up front and runs his boat.

Coangler stays in the back of the boat. Don't fish the boaters water first, don't cast in front of the boat or get in his way. So you need to adjust your baits and strategies for that.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Big dreams

Hey thanks T Bone for the information.  I have always been curious as to how those work at that level. 

Many thanks,
BgD

Dan

I would also add that if you choose to fish a BFL that a St. Clair BFL be the one you pick. On that body of water you usually have a very good chance of catching fish. With the wide open fishery it's not going to limit your ability to catch fish like a bedding tournament or maybe the one on the Grand River where you would be fishing behind a flipper.