Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Taking care of Batteries?

Started by Vic Cerabone, November 20, 2010, 01:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Cerabone

It's time to put my baby away soon.  :'( I'd like to understand what everybody else is doing with their batteries.  I had to replace two last spring and I'm "not down wit dat" for next year.

**I run a 4-bank dual pro.  I have usually leave it on all year.  The rig spends the winter in the garage.

**I know I have killed a batt or two from low water in winter and during the year..  I'm going check them much more often.  I will check them before I put her away this year.

**Is anybody taking their batteries out and putting them in the house?  It's a pain in the butt... but it's better than buying new ones in the spring.

Advice guys?

Vic
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

mikesmiph

Last year, I stored the boat where there was no power, so I took them out and kept them in the basement. Charged them up when I got the boat home again and they were fine. This year, I'm keeping the boat at home, and was planning on just leaving the charger hooked up all winter. I'd also like to know if this is a bad idea. Actually, now that I write this, I'm planning on buying all new batteries this winter. LOL I'll ask again next year, I guess.

Skulley

I keep my boat in the garage all winter.  I leave the charger plugged in.  The guys over at Complete Battery Source on 8 Mile Road will tell you that if you have access to electricity through the winter, it is perfectly fine to keep them plugged in and charging.  They actually recommend that.  I have been doing it that way for years.  If you don't have access to electricity, then take them out and keep them inside. 

BD                               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

SethV

I just leave the 4-bank plugged in all winter, no problems.  Done it that way for my last 3 boats and have had good results.

Dan

I took my batteries out and have them in the basement. It is certainly a pain, but I don't have a heated garage up at the cabin. I have taken all my electronics and all my tackle out to store at home as well. I filled and treated my two gas tanks, (I did allow for expansion) and then taped off the vented gas caps. I also tape off the exhaust ports. I made sure to drain the lower unit and had the motor fogged. I put dryer sheets in all the compartments and glue boards on the deck for mice protection.
I made sure that I opened all compartments and dried them ahead of time. Wiped out the livewells.
I stored my motor all the way down, but wondered if that really made any difference. I've never heard anybody talk about what position to store the motor in. I put it all the way down to make sure any water in it would drain.
I also try and make sure to hit all the zirts and bearings with some fresh grease. I have learned though not to overdue the greasing of the bearings.
Last thing I always do is zip tie the key to the steering wheel. I always think that I will remember where I put it in the spring, but usually don't, so I zip tie it.
This year I also hit the flat four plug and my pig tail with some of that electric grease. Oh yea, checked the brake fluid on the trailer to see if it needed topping off.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

peters_skeeter

Don't let a battery sit on bare concrete if you have them in your basement, place them on a piece of plywood, or a 2x6 or something to insulate it. Concrete is a ground and will drain your batteries.
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

Victor Cerabone

Thanks for the info guys.  I think I'm going to just check the water and keep em' on the charger in the garage.

Happy Winter  :-[

Dan

Quote from: http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ.aspx
Question: Will storing a battery on concrete discharge it quicker?

Long ago, when battery cases were made out of natural rubber, this was true. Now, however, battery cases are made of polypropylene or other modern materials that allow a battery to be stored anywhere. A battery rate of discharge is affected by its construction, its age, and the ambient temperature. The main issue with storing on concrete is that if the battery leaks, the concrete will be damaged.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."