Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Late Fall Lake Erie Largemouth Bass

Started by djkimmel, November 10, 2010, 02:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I've known for a long time how underfished Great Lakes largemouth bass are. I've targeted them sometimes in the past, made a state team courtesy of them one year on St. Clair and they have occasionally turned an especially rough, troublesome day into a fun day catching lots of bass.

I haven't targeted the green fish as much lately on the Great Lakes. Haven't fished the actual Great Lakes as much lately so I jumped at the chance when fishing friend Mike Nolan called and offered to take me out to some new spots for some late fall, cold water largehead fishing this past Sunday.

Wow! Good call there. Nolan whacked them real good and I even did okay, mostly just pitching creature baits. Not too many things more fun than short line fishing when you're getting them.

I thought we had a great day. Other than a real stiff southerly breeze, it was a fantastic day for chilly November. Water temp was sitting right around 43 F and the bass were biting great though Nolan kept apologizing for the 'slow' bite. Boy, are we spoiled up here in Michigan.

I had a great time! Nolan let me catch some real solid largemouth bass and didn't laugh when I missed and lost a few early while I was getting my pitchin' legs back under me. I lost a toad early too due to not checking my drag setting, but made up a little bit for it later with a 4-4 and a 4-7 in just a few minutes pitching Xtreme Bass Tackle's St. Clair Crayfish creature bait.

I caught about half my bass on that bait and the other half on Nolan's confidence creature that he was nice enough to loan me! So I'm not at liberty to share that one. I don't give away anglers' special baits and spots unless I have express permission to do so. I think a number of compact creatures work good for this kind of fishing so use what you like.

Here's a few pics we took when we forced ourselves to stop fishing a few minutes early and pulled over to snap a few quick ones:

One of my 4 pounders

Mike Nolan with solid, fat cold water largemouth bass. He caught a boat load of bass like this one!

Two more for me - another 4 plus pound largie and one of the many solid, quality bass we caught.

Thanks Mike!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

VinceR

Okay Dan. You and Nolan "officially" make me sick. Wowzers! :'(

djkimmel

I'm giddy right now from so much great fall fishing! LOVE it Vince!! I LOVE it!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.