Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

bilge pump

Started by karol, August 15, 2010, 04:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

i have a sea nymph fishmaster-tin boat- and was wondering how big a bilge pump to put on it as the last one died. do i need one with a float in it so it comes on by itself or just a manual one? thanks again..karol

dartag

buy one with a float.  great way to know you left the plug out when launching.  you can also rig it to the switch to use as a manual.  Two pumps are better than one.  I have 3 on my Ranger.  750 - 1000 GPH should do the trick.

SethV

Nobody ever wishes they had a smaller bilge pump.  800 GPH minimum - that said I can pump 3000 GPH out of my Z21.

LennyB

Bigger is better and multiple is best when it comes to bilges, but no bilge works better than a man with a good sized bucket in a sinking boat. Keep one on board.

Durand Dan

The standard factory size for most tin boats is 500gpm. Today I could have used a couple 1000gpm. >:( My plug somehow ended up coming out during thr launch and I found it between the trailer cross support and the rubber rolloff thingy. ??? We managed to get back to the launch and trailer it. The water ran out for a good 5 minutes.

River Rat

Get the biggest (1500-3000) you can afford!  When 2 big cruisers pass on each side and you take wakes off both stern quarters that swamp your back deck, I promise you'll want at least 2 big bilges, leave that little hand pump in the bathtub...
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Dan

A couple years ago I was pulling out at Metro and a couple of guys had a Ranger and were also pulling out. They forgot to put their plug in and ran down to the mile roads. They decided not to come back for it and fished all day with the bilge running. Now that's some good pumps. I always carry a spare plug in my boat.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I carry a spare plug, but on my 492VS, you can't reach it from the boat unless you have a 4 1/2 foot long arm! Jump in the water or go back to the trailer. I'm due... I haven't forgotten the plug in about 3 seasons. One over my average ;D

I have 1,000 gph bilges. 1 on an auto switch. 1 on manual. I also have an extra pump rigged on a long wire lead with two gator clips, a switch, a 6 foot long 3/4" hose that I can clip on the batteries and drop in anywhere in the boat to pump out (or pump in for a bad livewell pump - which has been loaned out for that reason several times).

I also carry a large, heavy duty laundry detergent jug with the bottom cut off. Strong handle so I can scoop up a lot of water and dump in a hurry. Along with that I have long hand pump so two of us can get water out manually and the hand pump is a tube that will fit into boxes if I just take a wave over one part of the boat.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I also carry a secondary pump with alligator clips and a 10 ft length of hose....I thought I would have to use it for a livewell fill pump this year up north until I found the problem after shooting a half a day of prefishing to heck...I can't figure out why everyone doesn't carry an extra pump set up...

One other tip...I store my extra pump and hose inside a plastic Folgers coffee container with the lid...The Plastic container makes a great back up bailing device and it keeps my extra pump stored nicely....It is probably a shade less than a gallon....

karol

wheeww!! i checked under my little side console and guess what? my pump was just unplugged.. thank you Lord!! saved a lot of money and headaches.. works fine now. made sure it was squeezed on tight too.. now i can go fishing again..karol