Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

JIGS!

Started by 32eml24, July 25, 2010, 09:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

Does anybody know if there is a company that actually makes a football head jig with a rattle??  I like the way a football head presents so much more but can't find any with rattles and I need them in muddy water...
Ethan

markgoetsch

Just add them to your favorite jig.  I think booya makes and sells rattles you just slide on the jig.

redwing

There are several companies that make the rattles that you can buy seperately.

McCarter

order from me and i will throw the rattle in no extra charge.  and, i will tie custom colors.  cant beat that with a bat!

McCarter himself :-\'

thedude

mccarter makes the best jigs. i would take him up on that.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

dashaver63

I would definately take him up on that. Great colors and the rattles he put on mine were tied into the wire wrap. I've caught a bunch of fish on them and the rattles have stayed put. Solid construction and excellent hooks. I'm getting more for next season. (Just make sure he doesn't forget the weedguards) LOL

play for keeps

i agree with "thedude" the nemesis upskirt jigs are the only jigs i use anymore
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: 32eml24 on July 25, 2010, 09:14:46 PM
Does anybody know if there is a company that actually makes a football head jig with a rattle??  I like the way a football head presents so much more but can't find any with rattles and I need them in muddy water...
Ethan

Just use a super fluttering trailer like a rage craw or lobster craw - rattles are one of those majorly overrated items in the bass fishing world in my opinion.  If you want jigs for Lake Mac ask McCarter (Nemesis Baits) for some McCarter Magic, Pig Destroyer, PBJ, and some Black & Red skirt that I don't know the jazzy name for - they all caught fish on Sunday in the tourney.  I wouldn't go lighter than 1/2 ounce on a football and recommend some 3/4 ounce for Mac - Speed kills on dirty water........
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

Durand Dan

Rate of fall and water displacement(size) are the most effective combination to trigger strikes. A rattle has never made much difference with me.

McCarter

i dont throw rattles much in jigs either, but they definatly came into play last saturday on belleville.  no rattles = no bites.  rattles = bites.  dirtier water out there, the rattles were key.

McCarter himself :-\'

32eml24

Well and even if they don't help that much... do they hurt at all?  Most cranks we throw in clear water have rattles why not have them in a jig?  And in water that muddy, I want a bait that is easy for the bass to locate... a big profile, slow movement, and a rattle are all key in that situation.  Not to get off topic but did anybody see the Kentucky Lake tournament this year where KVD would switch from the rattling crank to the silent and turn the school back on?  Pretty cool to see..

McCarter

i dont think it hurts in most cases.  just stick with what you are confident in.  if you are confident in jigs with rattles, your not going to fish as hard if you throw a jig with no rattle.  your confidence will already be down.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: 32eml24 on July 27, 2010, 11:22:12 AM
Well and even if they don't help that much... do they hurt at all?  Most cranks we throw in clear water have rattles why not have them in a jig?  And in water that muddy, I want a bait that is easy for the bass to locate... a big profile, slow movement, and a rattle are all key in that situation.  Not to get off topic but did anybody see the Kentucky Lake tournament this year where KVD would switch from the rattling crank to the silent and turn the school back on?  Pretty cool to see..

Rattles should be used as a secondary tactic when fish do not seem to be responding to baits without rattles - for me cranks without rattles have outproduced ones with rattles over the last few years and I think the reason for this is that rattles are not natural in most situations.  I would have to say the best rattle system is one that is easily removed, if the experts are right they conclude that rattles will hinder strikes more often than they elicite strikes.  Below is some insight I found on the sensitivity of the lateral line vs. the bass inner ear - the way I look at the rattle question is it's natural presentation; there isn't anything natural about them but they do have their time and place which from my experience is not very often. 

Bass use the lateral line system and ears to locate their prey, they have an inner ear similiar to that of humans.  The lateral line system is also an ear of sorts in that it detects vibrations. The inner ear detects sound by registering vibrations in the high frequency range of 500 to 3,000 hertz  a normal, useful range similar to that of humans (500 to 4,000 hertz). Just like the diver who can't tell where the outboard noise is coming from, the bass' inner ear suffers the same problem. The lateral line, however, detects low frequency noise (or vibrations) as low as 50 hertz. Noise in this low range is beyond "normal" human detection (the human ear can register 20 to 20,000 hertz, but we don't necessarily "hear" it) and hard for anglers to understand. The "noises" the lateral line "hears" are pressure waves. With this lateral line, bass detect the low frequency waves given off by swimming prey. 

All that said the one major benefit of rattles for jigs in when you deadstick - you can slowly shake your jig and call them in so to speak; but like the above citation says the inner ear cannot locate where the sound is coming from nearly as accurately as the lateral line can pick up vibrations.

Why don't we go out to Lake Mac together in the next few weeks and test the theory with cranks and jig with rattles and without rattles; I am curious myself and it is really the only way to know for sure.

dashaver63

I use rattles in almost all my jigs since water clarity is usually less than a foot or so. I also use either a Paca craw or a Berkley Chigger Craw. I like the combination of moving a lot of water when the bait is falling and then just shaking the jigs so the rattles sound without moving the jig, I think it helps the fish find the jig better in dirty water. I think it lets me keep the bait where the fish are longer without having to move the bait to attract a strike.

32eml24

Yeah dude let's do it maybe a 2 day thing one day with rattles, one without or something??  Obviously there are a lot of independent variables but heck it's an excuse to fish, right?

chrisvmo

If you want to learn how to throw a football head jig ROI is the jig master. I watched him get jiggy with it and cull our whole bag in 5 cast in a tourney on Big White fish. I was using the exact jig in the same spot and couldn't buy a bite. let me know when your going we can take my boat in exchange for another deep jig lesson.

djkimmel

I'll make a note of that for future football jig articles/video

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Went out to my favorite lake Sunday evening for a couple hours and got jiggy with it - those who can sacrafice less bites the pay-off is bigger fish.  Pic below shows an average jig fish from one of the best largemouth lake in Michigan.

chrisvmo

your always getting jiggy with it Ohhzinger.