Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

swim areas

Started by bassmandan, July 16, 2010, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmandan

ive got a question about these and i havent found the answer or really know where to look but maybe you guys would know. are there any laws about fishing around them...or maybe just laws for being nearby with the boat, i thought ive seen something about it somewhere its been awhile.
"dont stop keep fishing"

djkimmel

It depends on if they are private or public. Some may involve local ordinances and sometimes do have local regs about not boating (or fishing in them). I have even seen them mentioned in some tournament rules over the years as off limit areas.

To be safe, I've only fished them in the early morning if no one is around and if I was pretty confident there were no local ordinance or similar that makes them off limits. If it is any kind of public area and there are any signs saying no boating or similar, I treat it as off limits.

I always stay a fair distance away if there are any people around. In Michigan, you should always treat them as off limits by 100 feet minimum for boating. There may be signage that states a farther distance too, like 300 feet in some areas. Since young people in particular like to live dangerously, I never run even that close to a marked swimming area.

In some states, by law you must keep your boat out of marked swimming areas. I don't know when a marked area is official verses unofficial. I always recommend to anyone who fishes that they find out and know all local laws, regulations, orders and ordinances.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I like the boat-ed.com site for checking state level regulations. This page has some bearing on your question and I usually find many people are surprised about some of the boating laws in Michigan since we have no required licensure or training: http://www.boat-ed.com/mi/handbook/oper.htm

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bassmandan

so what it looks like to me is you cant be over "idle/no wake" speed so i can fish around them and drive by them (at idle/no wake speed). i dont fish inside them so it looks like its clear to fish around them unless stated otherwise. thanks for the help
"dont stop keep fishing"

djkimmel

You can fish outside of them in Michigan and in most tournament circuits I'm aware of, but again, I'd only do it if there are no swimmers present or close by. If there are swimmers present I wouldn't get that close. Some of them swim outside of the marked area and none of us would win any arguments about fishing close to swimmers regardless or win any points by fishing too close to swimmers.

It's just like I don't fish under docks with people on them, definitely if there are kids. On a rare occasion I have asked permission if people were only on the dock and not getting in the water, but usually I just pass by.