Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Torch, Clam, skegemog, Elk and Bellaire Lakes in Antrim County

Started by FSU Basser, July 07, 2010, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSU Basser

Heading up to Antrim County to fish Torch, Clam, Bellaire, Skegemog, and Elk lakes Saturday for a week. Wondering if anyone has been up there lately and if anyone has any hits on catching some giant small and largemouth?

gbaade

I was just up there last weekend and fished Elk and Skeg. Only fished Elk for about an hour before it was overrun with jet ski and water ski traffic. Had a pretty good spot by the mouth of the river (a hot spot according to a local guy) and caught a couple of 2 to 3 pounders before I was run off by a rich woman with a big mouth who screamed from her dock that it was water skiing time. I didn't feel like arguing so I left and went to Skegemog. With no electronics I went looking for what I could see and settled on a stump field the map said to avoid. It was pretty dicey in there but I used an ore to get in to it and stayed there the whole day. I ended up with a total of a 19 pound Musky, 5 SM counting the 2 from the Elk River, 3 LM biggest being 4 pounds, and 3 small pike. All fish came on Rapala DT6 craw color, and carolina rig with a black powerbait lizard.

The water is clear and super deep! If you have electronics you should be able to find some monsters in the deep and do alot better than I did.

djkimmel

Water skiing time, huh? Must be a new law we all missed somehow...? Tell me where the house was so next time I can stop by and be educamated but good by her. You should never stop learning!

Any pictures of the big ones (musky included)?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

gbaade

I left this part out to save myself the embarrasement, but since you asked. When I was on the dock tying the boat up at the boat rental place, I had a little mistep and went into the lake. Lost my shoes in knee deep muck and destroyed my phone with the pics. Had to walk back into the marina looking like a wet dog barefoot. Probably the most bummed out I've been in a long time. All the guys at the marina thought it was pretty funny though.  :-[

mikesmiph

Did anyone get pics of THAT? would be much better than more old fish pics. LOL I think I'd love to sit right off that womans dock and fish the day away. I have some really good ear plugs.

djkimmel

Shoot! I didn't mean you had to reveal embarrassing secrets... But THANKS for doing so!! ;D

As far as ear plugs... I've been living with and working with mostly women my entire life! I no longer need physical plugs. After all, they are the true selective hearing experts!! :o

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Actualyl they should be heating up.   2 weeks ago they were post spawn hard. All ya could find were small males.  I could see the bigger smallies on the graph ,but even hitting them in the head with drop shots they wouldn't eat.    I'll be all over that chain  this week since its my home waters. If ya see an older gray and silver champ go blasting by  wave.  Id start with Bellaire from the fishermans paradise launch all the way around to the oppisite shoreline.  After that jump over to the south corner and work your way to the launch.  The west side is a great drop off ,but there is absoutlyyyyyyyy nothing on it but sand.   the other lakes are good, but Bellaire combines all the lakes in the chain into 1 lake. Good depth, good surface area, weeds and timber.  Any other questions don't be afraid to ask
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

BTW, if I have offended any female members and visitors to this site... I didn't mean you!! You're anglers!! You're different!!

Got Fish??

White tubs work best on Skag. Most locals sware by them.Belair Lake is a nice lake to fish, with a lot of smallmouth. Wayne's Canadian mist works great on Belair. LongLake is a local favorite for largemouth. Clam Lake gives up a lot of musky and largemouth. If you get hungry, there is a great restraint at the mouth of Clam were it runs in torch lots of slips to dock your boat.

djkimmel

Whitish tubes can work real good in Torch. All you have to do is get one look at the 'ghost' crayfish in there and you'll see why. I have had some good burgers at the restaurant. And I have had on a couple huge musky just into Clam Lake!!

bassassasin88

Anyone have any pics, or common or scientific name of those "ghost" crayfish? I'm always looking for new patterns to paint.

djkimmel

I don't have any. I have to believe it is something in the water and/or something in their diet that makes them that color. If I get back up there, I will attempt to capture one or two. They usually look dead when you first see them and then, off they go just like any other crayfish.

LipRip

Me and a few buddies rented a cottage on torch for this weekend and next week. I'm draggin my bass boat and all my gear up there to try to conquer these lakes! I've never fished these lake but have been on torch and clam once. Any update on how the fish are biting or any additional information on these lakes would be great! I cant even wait to get there.

djkimmel

White on Torch (wait until you see the crayfish). May have to fish deep on the breaks. Clam is usually easier, shallower and a mixed bag of just about everything.