Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

When fish "swallow" hooks

Started by billy8878, July 06, 2010, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy8878

Was just wondering what you guys do when you "gut hook" a fish. Do you cut the line leaving the hook inside, I hear the hook dissolves but was wondering the time frame and if thier were any studies on this.

Or do you just get the bait out because the survival rates are slim. I was fishing tube jigs this past weekend and let a nice bass take the bait "gut hooking" it. I cut the line hoping that she would fight again but have found nothing as to if this method actually works.

McCarter

if i can get the bait off the hook without doing too much damage, i try to do that.  especially with tubes.  but tubes are probably one of the hardest baits to get off without doing more damage to the fishes throat becuase they are so tough and dont tear as easily as other soft plastics.  i bought a pair of cutters 5 or 6 years ago that were perfect size to get in to a smallies mouth and they worked good for about 5 uses but then the edges got beat up and they wouldnt cut good anymore.  there are in my garage somewhere collecting dust.  either way, i think a fish has more of a chance with just the hook and not the bait and hook stuck in its throat.  do what you can.  no one likes to kill a fish, but it happens.  get what you can out, and i have read if you splash a little mt dew down there throat it will stop the bleeding.  havnt tried it but you might give it a shot and let us know.

McCarter himself :-\'

Dan

I bought a tool,  http://www.dbarb.com/ it's a pliers like and you can go straight down the shank of the hook  with it and cut the hook without having to get at it from  the side. It also has a magnet  in it that  the piece of free hook sticks to so you don't drop it down the gullet. You then  can back the hook out very easily. I'm not a believer in the hook rotting out.  Caught a bass one year that had a small ice  fishing hook halfway out of it's anus and it was well in to June and the hook showed no sign of rust or decomposition.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

MBell

Had a fish up at Saginaw this spring that totally swallowed a 4" tube with a 1/2oz foot ball inside.  You couldn't even see the tube, so I cut the line and didn't mess with it.  At the weigh-in I put the fish in the bag and was suprised to find the tube sitting on the bottom of the livewell.  I don't think the hooks disolve but they do work themselves free.   
-Matt

Cy

I always have side cutters in the boat.  I have used them on fish and on myself in the past.  I try to get hook out if I can, either by cutting it in half and working it out or at least cut as much of the hook off as I can.  I believe a giving up a little fishing time to try and save the life of that fish.

I agree with Dan, hooks don't dissolve at all.  I caught and weighted a small mouth with a 4/0 Gami hanging most of the way out of it's butt.  That means that fish managed almost past that hook and it was in perfect condition.

One more story.  I had a smallie this spring completely inhale a popper.  The treble was in the gills and in the throat.  I cut the split ring to get the hook and that stupid fish complete swallowed the treble hook.  There was nothing I could do but release it with that hook in there.  Hopefully it spit it out later and survived.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

Quote from: motocross269 on July 06, 2010, 12:09:55 PM
Try this...
http://www.walleyesunlimitedusa.org/documents/hook_removal_technique.pdf

That's the removal method I use when I can - the first I ever heard of it was from Ohio Lake Erie bass pro Jeff Snyder. It can work with many single hooks.

I always carry wire cutters. Have used them many times. Sunday at Lake Ovid on a musky for example. And have sometimes loaned them out to unfortunate anglers too :o

If I can't get a hook or lure out, I cut the line leaving about 6 inches sticking out of the mouth of the bass. For some reason, this seems to lead to more successful ejection of the lure more often. I don't know why, but it was actually studied and shown to work better. So I do it.

Always try to keep my fish alive and release them back in as best shape I can. Except for gobies. Gobies have to die. You're not supposed to put them back. In Michigan, you can't release a live goby back into the water.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

djkimmel

Uhh... I've never actually tried to eat one. But I've fed a few seagulls, turtles and crayfish!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Quote from: djkimmel on July 07, 2010, 12:38:53 PM
Uhh... I've never actually tried to eat one. But I've fed a few seagulls, turtles and crayfish!!

My daddy used to always say "You kill it you eat it"....    ;D   I don't think he would make me eat a Goby though.................

djkimmel

Mine too... Had to eat a sparrow that I shot with a BB gun once. But I draw the line at gobies!!