Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New Contest for a fabulous prize

Started by djkimmel, May 04, 2006, 01:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Been a while since I?ve held a forum contest, but I have a great prize compliments of Pete Johnson from Johnson Communications and the International Game Fish Association: the 2006 World Record Game Fishes annual ? a $12.95 value featuring artist Don Ray?s cover art ? Mako Moon, and almost 400 pages of interesting articles, saltwater and freshwater fish drawings and descriptions, and of course, a comprehensive list of world record catches recorded by the IGFA.

There?s hours of interesting reading on the above topics along with details on how to get a record fish of your own recognized by the IGFA. There are still plenty of opportunities to get your name in the record book.

Contest open through Sunday, May 7, 2006. If no one gets all the answer right, the member with the most correct answers wins. If more than one member gets all the answers right, a drawing will be held to determine the winner.

Here is the contest:

Commonly referred to as the Niugini bass, this freshwater game fish
(some refer to a saltwater cousin with the same name, but that is not the fish this is about) has been listed by at least one prominent magazine as one of the 20 toughest game fish in the world, comparing it favorably to much larger, better known tough fish.

• 1.? The Niugini bass is related to either striped bass or largemouth bass (same family).? True/False
  • 2.? What family of fish does the Niugini bass belong too (common name, not scientific)?
  • 3.? What nation is the freshwater Niugini bass native to?
  • 4.? What type of habitat does the Niugini bass live in commonly?
  • 5.? What does the world record Niugini bass weigh (within 5 pounds)?
[/color]

DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS. PM or email your answers too me. (djkimmel@greatlakesbass.com) I?ll post the responses after Sunday. Good luck!

For more information on the IGFA:
International Game Fish Association
Fishing Hall Of Fame & Museum
300 Gulf Stream Way
Dania Beach Fl 33004
954-924-4243
F: 954-924-4299
www.igfa.org
hq@igfa.org

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

And the winner is... (drum roll) joshimoto son!!! On a roll! Congrats Josh - PM or email me your shipping address and I'll get the IGFA record annual out to you ASAP.

The only person to get all 5 questions completely right including the only one to get the actual weight of the world record Papuan black snapper (Niugini bass). Some people guessed the country as New Guinea, but that is just the name of the island - not the actual country that is the Eastern part of the island. See below.

The answers are:
1.? The Niugini bass is related to either striped bass or largemouth bass (same family).?
False ? called Papuan black bass, Papuan black snapper

2.? What family of fish does the Niugini bass belong too (common name, not scientific)?
Snapper ? Lutjanidae Family, Lutjanus goldiei

3.? What nation is the freshwater Niugini bass native to?
The Independent State of Papua New Guinea (informally Papua New Guinea or PNG (also Papua Niugini), one of the most diverse countries on Earth, gained its independence from Australia in 1975. More on Papua New Guinea

4.? What type of habitat does the Niugini bass live in commonly?
Large, snag infested jungle streams and tributaries and may occur in estuaries.

5.? What does the world record Niugini bass weigh (within 5 pounds)?
42 lb 5 oz, Fly River, Papua New Guinea, September 22, 1992 Len Bradica

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

That's Awesome Dan, I was beginning to second guess myself.
And don't think for a minute that this contest was easy!

It was extremely fun, and it took me about two hours of straight surfing to find everything.

Here are some of the sights that I found that helped me find the answers.

http://www.pngtourism.org.pg/png/export/sites/TPA/fishing/baia.htm

http://www.igfa.org/WRec_temp.asp

http://www.anglingadventures.com.au/baia.html

http://www.tourismwestnewbritain.org.pg/fishing.htm

Thanks again Dan!

joshimoto son ;D

djkimmel

Well - despite the prize not being a new car or a million bucks - it is still an interesting book with lots of good reading and fish information in it - so I didn't want to make it too easy.

Thanks to everyone who entered and tried out for the prize.

fiker

I tried, but the best I could do was four of the five right. 

So I didn't enter. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Cmon now Rick. You never know. It almost came down to a multi-member drawing. Sometimes I might have surprise consolation prizes too. Depends on who is offering what at the time...

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390