Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

jerk bait/stick bait rod & reel

Started by bosshawg, April 29, 2006, 06:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosshawg

after todays fish outing, i've come to the conclusion i'm not happy w/any of my rod/reels for throwing the above mentioned baits. so i'm looking for the all around rod/reel combo where i can throw floaters, divers, suspenders, con'tdowns etc. of all shape & sizes. is there one out there?? whats your preference, spinning or baitcaster?

i know i've read this topic before, but could not find or looked deep enuff into past threads, so i apoligize for the repeat.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

raisinrat

For throwing stick baits I like to run a 6'8" Med Extra Fast Shimano Curical. Match it up with Symetre 2500 and 8 or 10lb mono you are all good. I also like this rod for tube fishing has well. If the price for this rod is to high you can get the same rod, but one step down in IM, in the Compre Line . That should sell for around 89 or 99 dollars. Curical runs 139 or 149.
Justin Clark

canvsbk

I use Quantum 7' Tour Edition with Pflueger President and 8# Gamma. Love it.
Look past what they want you to see.

yukonjack2

I run a 6'2" St. Croix med action extra fast tip, with a curado 6.0 and 12 lb bps fluoro - works great.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

fiker

I am not a tall person.  I find that 6'-6'6" rods suit me better than 7' for these two techniques.  Shorter rods cut down on casting distance somewhat, but for these two techniques where I"m imparting a jerking action to the lure, I need a shorter light rod. I am also prone to fisherman's elbow.  (slightly different tendons and muscles than tennis elbow)

Jerkbaits- I use a Johnny Morris baitcaster with an inexpensive rod. It is light, has a soft fast tip, but enough backbone.  I disagree with most experienced anglers.  I don't feel that this is one place where I need an expensive rod.  In the past, I've used flurocarbon for this, but this spring, I'm going to try Berkley sensation in 8#.  Either way, I want a line with minimal stretch.

Soft stick baits- I use a Cabelas Fish Eagle II, shimano symetre, and 6# mono or 8# fluorcarbon.  This is also the rod I use to throw flukes, and ring frys.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Shayne Cleveland

I use a 7 foot Allstar titanium with a shimano sustain 2500. I wouldn't throw any thing else. I have a great hook up rate and great feeling. I can be on the pause with slack line and fill everything. 

I can throw one all day long. Depending on the depth I go from 8 to 12lb test.

Hooksetter

I use a G. Loomis 6'6" MH IMX with a Chronarch casting reel, with 12# P-Line mono for all my hard jerk baits.

I use a G. Loomis 6'6" MH IMX with a Stradic 2500 MgF spinning reel, with 8# P-Line mono with a swivel and a 18" leader made of 8# P-Line floro for throwing flukes.

These two rigs work great for me.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

bosshawg

as always thanks - gota list going & will check out some next time i hit gander or BPS.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

rufus

It really depends on the situation, but I like a 6' medium action G. Loomis with a Shimano Curado 6.0 and also a 6 1/2' medium action St Croix spinning rod with a Shimano Stradic. I use 10 lb. Pline CXX on the baitcaster and 8 lb. Pline flourocarbon on the spinning rod. I use both Pointer 100's and Rebel Tracdown minnows (discontinued). I also use a few floating Rogues when the situation calls for one. Day in and day out you will be able to fish longer with a spinning rod. You can impart more action and have more overall control, but you lose "power" in landing fish. Also with flourocarbon your bait will run deeper than with mono and many times this is very significant. I use the baitcaster on the days they are less finicky about presentation. You can vary your speed of retrieve and cadence, but it will wear you out much faster. You will have much more "power" in landing big fish and less of a tendency to break off. I also use the baitcaster more in water less than 5 feet. With the 10 pound Pline the bait will run a little shallower. God Bless and Good Jerkin'!
rufus