Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spark Plugs

Started by Big dreams, April 28, 2010, 09:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I am having one heck of a time finding anything over standard for spark plugs.  I was hoping to get a platinum plug but the only brand that offers even the standard plug is NGK.  Any ideas?

Cy

What are you looking to put them in, 2 stroke or 4?
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Fishmael

NGKs are good plugs.  That is what I have in mine.  I might be mistaken here, but aren't those recommended?

Durand Dan

I have to agree, NGK plugs work fine. By the way the cheapest place I've found them is NAPA. I don't know what engine you have but KGK does make a platinum plug. Try this partfinder link.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/watercraft/make.asp?table=toutboard

Big dreams

I am looking for platinum plugs for a V4.  I called the local marina and they informed me of a standard copper plug made by Champion.  When I asked them for a higher performance plug, they said they could not find anything after cross referencing the number.  I am having a little trouble with the motor bogging down (sometimes on take off and sometimes at full throttle).  I changed the plugs today with the standard Champion plug and it didn't make any difference.  I put Stabil in it when I filled it up this year.  Any ideas?  I doubt a performance plug will help at this point...

motocross269

Sounds like a fuel problem....It sounds like it mainly occurs under heavy loads...Take off and WOT....

It takes 3 things for a motor to fire...Compression, Spark and Fuel.....

I am not an outboard mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I have alot of experience on 2 stroke MX bikes...

I would do the easy things first..Check your compression, Make sure any fuel filters are OK, make sure your Squeeze bulb pumps up hard, check for any obvious fuel leaks,  Is the fuel in your tank fresh and water free??

HP spark plugs are only going to do so much...It only takes so much spark to ignite fuel in the cylinder...It could be a coil but I would lean towards the fuel system...It is alot cheaper to work your way through the fuel system then just blindly changing out ignition components...

Good luck...If this is an Evinrude or Johnson they are known to have Heat soak issues..The gas boils out of the carbs and the motors will bog bad on take off...I have been battling this problem on my 225 vindicator for a year now...Heat soak usually doesn't show up at WOT though....Usually it is when you try to take off after fishing for awhile....

Big dreams

Thanks for the information.  I checked some online forums and have a few other possibilities as well.  One person stated that it might be air in the line.  I will begin with checking the fuel lines and go from there.  Hopefully it does not take too awful long to find the problem. 

Cy

I agree 100% with Moto.  The spark plugs are probably not your issue.  I love NGK plugs in 2 strokes but I run Champions in my Johnson outboard.  If the fuel line and bulb are old, replace them.  Based on personal experience buy good marine grade fuel line and a BRP bulb.  I have a couple of cheaper bulbs laying around because the just didn't work right.

Also check the this:  http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=357667  Mine was screwed up and it made a big difference when I fixed it.  Also the forum that info came from can be very helpful as well.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

fowlmouth

Quote from: Big dreams on April 29, 2010, 09:06:09 PM
  I put Stabil in it when I filled it up this year. 
Did you put it in last year? If not, how much old gas was in it? Sounds like you may want to run through a tank before you start changing things.

motocross269

That is a good link CY...I have seen that post and it has seemed to help alot of members of that site.....

That V4 Evinrude motor is a great motor.....That is what I had on my Ranger and it was bullet proof...

TheFishinPollock

yea sounds liek a fuel delivery issue. But with the plugs. I put NKG plats in my older 86. Much better  spark. I did up the  temp level of the plug itself. Got a hotter burning plug to help make sure the mixture is totaly burned.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Big dreams

I left approximately 5 gallons in it from last year.  I put Stabil in it this year when I filled up the rest of the 22gal. tank.  I was on Wixom Lake today and was on my way to pick up my partner.  Long story short, it took me 1.5 hours of what should have been 10 minutes.  The motor kept dieing on me.  Once again long story short, the motor itself filled up with water.  I took the cover off the motor and water gushed everywhere.  When I had the seals in the lower unit replaced two weeks ago, I had him put in a new impeller on the water pump.  The old base seal could not handle the improved water pressure and burst.  Good news it is being fixed, bad news is $$$.  Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.  I guess it is all apart of owning toys.