Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New front deck help

Started by mikesmiph, April 14, 2010, 11:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

In the next few weeks, I'm planning on redoing the front deck on my Nitro. Right now, it is set up more like a fish and ski, than a REAL bassboat. I will post some pictures, but I left my camera at work last night. The two biggest things I need help with right now is: I am planning on using marine grade plywood with indoor/outdoor carpet glued and stapled for the deck. What thickness should I use? And the other thing: I see in many boats an organizer that holds the plastic Plano boxes. Does anyone know where I can buy this organizer for a retro-fit? Thanks in advance. I know you guys will have answers.

Cy

Marine grade plywood will work but I think regular plywood coated the polyurethane a couple of times is better.  I think the poly seals in the pits and voids better and you can coat the edges better.  They also make a plastic "plywood" you can buy, but I remember it being expensive.  I would not use staples...they will rust and break.  Either use contact cement or water proof carpet adhesive and that's it.  Now, your question is "what thickness should I use?"  What thickness of what?  Wood?  I would use at least a 1/2 inch or 3/4.  The front deck on my boat is about 1" think in most spots.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

oldjigger

what ever you use plywood you need to put sealer on it before you glue (not  staple ) the carpet down.  If you don't use a sealer on your plywood it will absorb water. this will steadily make it heavier,  which will give you less bow lift and slow you down.  also will rot faster if you don't seal it

oldjigger

mikesmiph

So far, so good. I'm already learning. Thanks guys

Durand Dan

Use regular marine grade carpet also. Bass Pro sells it. It resists hooks a lot better thatn indoor/outdoor

fiker

I replaced some flooring in an old Nitro I had a few ago.

I bought regular ole CDX that was "good" on one side.

I painted the wood with fiberglass resin to seal it.  I then put a couple really thin layers of fiberglass cloth on that.   When I sold that boat, the area that I had repaired was the best spot on the boat.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Cy

Yeah Rick has the right idea.  If you cover the wood in "glass" it will better then factory.  Dan is right on the carpet.  I know Lowes has good marine grade carpet too.  When I re-did my boat I bought it online as bassboatcarpets.com

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

peters_skeeter

What ever you do. NEVER put looped I/O carpeting in the boat. ;D I made that mistake, any hook that touched the carpet was in for good. I had to cut the barbs off the hook to get it out of the carpet with out it fraying all apart.
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

Waterfoul

Mike, as stated several times... you can use standard plywood that is finished on one side.  It will be best for the "up" side...  the carpeted side.  Resin coating is a MUST or you'll simply be doing it again in a couple years (and it will be much cheaper than the costs of a sheet of marine grade plywood too).  Do NOT use simple indoor/outdoor carpet for the reasons mentioned above... you will only curse yourself for doing it!  You can order it from Lowes... or better yet.... you should stop in my store and I'll set you up with everything you need except the wood.... resin, spreaders, glass if you choose to put a layer on, carpet, and glue (even a Humminbird if you need one! :D )
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

Mike, I'm going to take you up on that. It will be worth the drive. I'll call you soon about it. Now, anyone have any ideas about the storage piece?

billy8878

Myself with the help of Stackenem just did what you are about to do Mike. I had an old fish and ski rig and wanted the whole front to be deck space.

We used 1/2 inch plywood. I sealed it and then put marine grade carpet down. Looks great

motocross269

Mike, You can get really nice Plano 3700 box holders from Bass Cat..
From what I have heard from multiple boat brand owners Bass Cat has some great carpeting...You can find that in their store also..
Click on link below...

http://www.basscatstore.com/tackleorganizer.aspx

bigjc

Mike how are you supporting the new floor?

mikesmiph

JC, I have to build it up a couple inches. I was planning on using treated boards, and painting them with spar varnish, then glueing it all together so I dont use any metal screws. Planned on making the frame for the new storage area the same way.

Waterfoul

Mike, you can give me a call just about anytime between 9 and 5 at the store (except Mondays... I'm off fishing!).  616-954-9822.  I'll help you out with whatever you need.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

REEL_MAN

Using ply is ok BUT remember the thickness adds weight go as thin as possible and use reinforcing for the main traffic areas. Pushing that extra weight accross the water costs money plus makes the bow heavier and affects handling.

REELMAN
<))))>{

jacksonmj

Waterfowl,

What colors do you have available for carpet? I need a lighter blue color and can't find it any where, would you have any in stock or be able to order some? I can send you a picture of my boats carpet so that you can see it if need be. I believe the color name is indigo but I can be sure. Thanks Mike

Waterfoul

Shoot me a picture and I'll see what I can do!

use this email:

mgr00154@westmarinestores.com

Mike