Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Astro Boats?

Started by Jmcfarland, March 17, 2010, 06:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmcfarland

Just wondered what you guys thought about this brand of boat especially the late 90's models. Any info is appreciated.Thanks

Hooksetter

I had a '95 Astro, it was a 20 footer but I can't remember the model. It was a dual console with a 200 Merc EFI. Great hole shot, about 65 mph top end. Storage was good, if I remember correctly. I bought it new and owned it for 3 years and never had a problem with it. The fit and finish left something to be desired, but it was my first 'glass bass boat and it was very affordable, well worth the money to me.

I remember the ride was not that great, but looking back now it probably had more to do with my lack of experience driving a 'glass bass boat than the hull design.

My buddy still has his '89 Astro and never really had any problems with it either. That was why I bought my Astro.

Just make sure you go over it real well, check the transom and hull for any issues. I would want to drop it in the water and take it for a spin to see how everything performs.  Most of the cosmetic stuff can be cleaned up with some elbow grease or replaced for a reasonable price.

Good luck!

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

LipRip

I own an astro 475 bass 17' boat with a 115 mariner on it. Its been a real good boat, everything is put together real solid. But, you cannot find any oem parts for it since they went out of business. But, with my 115, it does from 52mph -55mph (i just made mine a 125hp so i'm excited to see what it'll do). It moves pretty well, but also doesn't take waves very well. I havent been dissapointed at all, but i wish i could find a new windshield for it! Hope i didn't ramble or make a fool of myself, its 1:47 on st.pats night and the college partys have been fun!

Potter

Don't Know anything about Astro boats.  I would try Custom Mold and Tint for that windshield.

huston

I own a 97 1850 dual console I purchased used in 2003. It has a 150 Merc that has a top speed of about 65 on a great day, (not on LSC). I've upgraded the trolling motor, electronics, charging, livewell pumps and valves. The trailer has hydraulic brakes. The boat has been good to me. I'm not in it but about once or twice a week during fishing season. I also put a water pressure gauge on it since it was overheating once but I was still getting flow thru the water pump. It rides good but does not takes waves well, but what bass boat does. I paid about $12,000.00 in 03. If it's clean, get it. Take it out and open it up to see what it can do. I think when bass boat get old, you have to tinker with them and tighten this and that periodically. I also know a place down in Tenn. where they were once made that sells windshields.

LipRip

Quote from: huston on March 19, 2010, 08:27:49 AM
I also know a place down in Tenn. where they were once made that sells windshields.

Do tell about this secret place!?!?!?!   ;D

SethV

I think when bass boat get old, you have to tinker with them and tighten this and that periodically.

Thats every boat after a good day on Erie!!   ;D

River Rat

Quote from: SethV on March 19, 2010, 03:31:33 PM
I think when bass boat get old, you have to tinker with them and tighten this and that periodically.

Thats every boat after a good day on Erie!!   ;D

I'll second that! Running "the Mile" is about equally rough.

With my old boat I would primarily fish from below the bend (lower half) on the Detroit and occasionally have to tighten a bolt or screw or two.  Running the big water I did the same... Then the Mad Fisherman from Marshall had a broken transom mount bolt last year and I went to Sears and got a Craftsman torque wrench that afternoon!  Long story hopefully not longer: I chk'd my transom bolts and was tightening each one to "check" it's tension and was taken to the harsh world of reality... but safely.  Check everything with in, on, or otherwise attached to the hull or deck with a nut/bolt/screw, and you won't be sorry.

If you want a professional opinion, get it surveyed.  A few hundred dollars (and yes, I know that is a lot of money) can either give you (and most importantly your family) sound peace of mind... or save you from possible disaster.

Just my humble, yet sincere, opinion.

Scott

p.s. Sorry for the ramble but this sport is most fun when it's safe...

EDIT: Sorry for not knowing anything about Astro's.  Good luck in your search. "Patience is a virtue..."
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Jmcfarland

The boat I am looking at is almost the same thing as huston posted. Its a 97 astro single console with a 150 merc on it. Its posted on detroit craigslist for 4500. The guy said he is selling it due to a divorce. I live in northern michigan and haven't had time to go look at it. I know that is cheap for that year boat and he does say it has some cosmetic things wrong with it. Tear in seat and the clear coat is fading. I don't know a lot about boats (especially glass ones) and don't want to spend money on junk. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

zrt594

I went an looked at that boat if it is the one in Lapeer.  The motor has some issues with overheating.  Running it on muffs the Right bank of cylinders got so hot you couldn't touch them where as the Left bank was still cool to the touch.  I also found a significant hole in the right rear corner of the boat through the fiberglass about at the waterline.  The boat doesn't quite fit on the trailer correctly and the left fender has busted up the gel and fiberglass behind the fender and it appears that the Keel has been refiberglassed.  I thought the same thing about the cosmetic issues with the boat when I talked to the guy, but when I looked at it, that boat was really trashed.  I would say don't waste your time unless you have nothing better to do.