Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Who makes the best flourocarbon?

Started by peters_skeeter, March 02, 2010, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

I forgot about Halo, I used it and really liked it. I switched brands last year because they bumped up the price to $22 per spool.  :( No complaints about it though and I think I used 6, 10, and 12#, the heavier line really casts well.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

SethV

I have been thinking about trying the Seaguar stuff.  What is the diff between Invisix and Abrasix?

Also, how is the P-line Halo different that the P-line 100% floro?

LGMOUTH

Quote from: SethV on March 03, 2010, 04:16:28 PM
I have been thinking about trying the Seaguar stuff.  What is the diff between Invisix and Abrasix?

Also, how is the P-line Halo different that the P-line 100% floro?

http://www.seaguar.com/products/the-right-line.htm
This will show you the differences between the seaguar line.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

BryanP

Halo is a "co-fluoride".  It's a 100% Fluorocarbon line, but they exturde it using 2 different kinds of fluorocarbon crystals: a "hard" one that provides great abrasion resistance and "softer" one that makes the line more manageable.  The result is a 100% fluorocarbon line that casts great yet still maintains the beneficial characteristics of fluorocarbon line.  They added the mist green tint to it to make it even less visible.  It's a little more expensive than the standard fluoro, but it's a great line.

I've used the regular P-Line 100% Fluorocarbon since it came out and also use some of the Halo, and had great success with both.  I've been using the P-Line copolymers since the mid-90's, so when they came out with 100% Fluoro 8-10 years ago I tried it and never looked back.  There are some good lines out there I'm sure, but P-Line is all I've ever used in fluoro.

bigjc

I also tryed the P-line co-poly's years ago and I hated it, switched to Silver Thread and have used it for years, so when flouro's became all the rage, I didn't even consider P-LINE.

Since you guys are all raving about Halo, I might have to try it.  Even if agreeing w/ Willie is against my better judgement...LOL  just kidding bro.

JC

Big dreams

Has anyone tried the Spiderwire 100% Fluorocarbon?  I purchased some for this year and am wondering how it rates to Seagar.

Mojo

Another question for anyone who knows: Seagaur carbon pro flouro. Any good ?

And

Is there a shelf life to Flourocarbon line ?

Aint spending $22 bucks on 200 yds .... what else besides BPS is good economical flouro ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Durand Dan

Aint spending $22 bucks on 200 yds .... what else besides BPS is good economical flouro ?
[/quote]
Seeing that it doesn't absorb moisture, and uv light is supposed to pass through it without distortion, I would think that the only thing that would affect the shelf life of Fluorocarbon would be extended periods of high heat.

Bobber

Quote from: mojo on March 05, 2010, 12:23:06 AM
Another question for anyone who knows: Seagaur carbon pro flouro. Any good ?

And

Yes carbon pro is awesome. It is the most abrasion resistant flouro i have ever used. I snag the wooden pilings and docks in the channels all the time and we have to turn around the boat to go get it off even at the end of the season when the line was worn out. It is also pretty sensitive and easy to cast. Ive used it this last season and was pretty impressed with it.

Mojo

Good - I found a store up in Gladwin last hunting season cleaing these out at $6.99 / 200 yds, so I got 600 yds of 8 and 600 of 10, but I thought maybe it was cause it was old line etc ..........
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Big dreams

Quote from: mojo on March 05, 2010, 10:04:18 PM
Good - I found a store up in Gladwin last hunting season cleaing these out at $6.99 / 200 yds, so I got 600 yds of 8 and 600 of 10, but I thought maybe it was cause it was old line etc ..........
Mojo,  where at in Gladwin?  That is my old stomping ground.

DDBethke

P-Line (100%, not flouroclear)has my vote...
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

dashaver63

I've been using the P-Line Flouro-clear for a couple seasons and I really like it.

MadWags

I don't remember the guys name but he doesn't have any teeth. ;D
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

River Walker

My personal favorite is Sunline,after that I like Seaguar,Silver Thread and the XPS.I definitely stay clear of anything by Vicious or Gamma,nothing but line twists and break-offs with those two.

Big dreams

What about spooling up?  I have been told that the tighter the spool the better.  I recently purchased a 3,000 yd spool and have no device to hold this spool tight while I real it in.  Any ideas?

Bobber

I just use my hand to tighten up the line before it goes onto the spool.

Lightningboy

I've had a much different experience with vicious.  I've used the fluoro for two seasons now, and I'm pretty OK with it.  For pure handling ease P-line halo is excellent.  BP excell is a pretty good line too.  Sugoi handles like a dream; need a loan to spool up.  Seguar is very tough, but stiff.  Vanish? Yup, right after I got home first trip.

I've used vicious 15#, 12#, 10#, and 6#.  All have been satisfactory in performance.  Some fluoros are a little more abrasion resistant, and some a little more limp for handling, but vicious has been pretty good for me.  Especially considering the price.  My son & I have landed more than a few 5+ smallies on the 6#.

There's a lot of possible variables in fluoro performance.  Kinks in the line will create a weak spot.  Could happen during a backlash, or not wetting a knot enough as it's snugged.

As far as particular lines being "strong", how many lb test do they really break at?  Some lines are famous for 10# that actually tests nearly 14#...makes it hard to compare lines when they don't actually rate near each other.

Bender

I just found this article on another site about fluorocarbon line: http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/2010/03/connecting-to-fluorocarbon.html
It is very interesting and in depth about how the line is made and what to look for in a line.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

LennyB

I've tried Berkley Vanish, Seaguar Carbon Pro, and P-line 100% Fluorocarbon. The Vanish should do just that, "Vanish", absolute garbage. The Seaguar is my first choice and the P-line is also good. All the fluoros are a little kinky cutting down their life expectancy and can be frustrating on the water. I fish about 4 to 5 days a week with customers and found this to be expensive$$$ and a pain in the xxx, so what I do is spool up with 15lb braid and use about a 10 to 15 foot leader of fluoro. I use a blood knot to join them. I fish next two guys use all fluorocarbon and I get just as many bits. The braid will last an entire season and at the end of the season you can unspool and respool the line back on in the opposite direction and get another season out of it, very tough and sensitive stuff. You can replace the fluoro leader every trip.
Good luck, Len B.