Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

This will cheer everyone up

Started by djkimmel, February 01, 2010, 10:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Treacherous Times for Life on Planet Earth
Dave Thier
Contributor

(Feb. 1) -- Over the past 4.5 billion years, planet Earth has seen some rough times.

There have been five major mass extinctions -- the worst one claimed up to 96 percent of marine life and 70 percent of terrestrial life -- but the one most present in modern memory is the Cretaceous-Tertiary event, when a meteor impact probably claimed the dinosaurs.

Many scientists agree that there's also one going on right now.

Cornell University researchers announced recently that a fatal fish virus known as VHS has spread into Lake Superior and now exists in all the Great Lakes..

Read full article on AOL Science News

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

So this guy isn't someone you'd probably want to invite over to liven up your party. But he does mention some things that have been troubling me too, particularly about the bees and amphibians...? And I've never been one to bury my head in the sand or ignore things that should, if not be considered, at least known.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LGMOUTH

When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

djkimmel

LipRip

I dont know what they're talking about. The last two years i have gone to my farm in tennessee to cut the fields i have gotten attacked by swarms of hornets who made they're nest in the ground. I've been cutting those fields for 14yrs and only the past two years have I had a problem with bees. They may be declining elsewhere, but not on my farm in TN! Free bees anyone!??! You can have em!

LGMOUTH

Hey maybe you figured out where all of those bees are going, they are leaving every where else and settling in Tenn. Who would have thought to look there. :D  Bats have you seen any Bats
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

LipRip

lol, actually, YES! There's all kinds of bats there too!

I have to problem with them as long as they dont dive bomb me and try to bite me!

ahh, i have nightmares about getting stung by swarms of hornet now! I HATE EM!

djkimmel

Well... I can attest there is no shortage of hornet and wasps. I'm pretty darn good at getting stung by them.

But bees... those are the guys that are disappearing. And needed. I see very few actual bees now other than those big bumblebees.

motocross269

Those guys from Cornell are geniuses...How long has VHS been around for???  ;)

We will just have to live off Asian Carp frozen fish sticks...Yumm!!!!

As the earth ages, the closer we move to extinction...Just like a lake when it ages...I think humans are just pushing us along at a faster rate than what is natural...Just like phoshoruos run off in some lakes....

Puma

I know a number of fruit and vegetable farms that have hired honey bee keepers to set their farms on their land.  Some say it is a virus and others a Varoa mite.  Obviously the mite is much easier to kill, but it killed off nearly half the bee population in 2005.

Certain wasps are good for crops as they prey on insects and pests that kill them.  But I have seen an increase in those, especially hornets.  Not a scientist, but may the lack of honey bees has increased the other bee populations?

Luckily, God is still in control and will only let us muck it up so much before he intervenes - again.

djkimmel

I sure hope we figure it out first. Better if we take care of it ourselves probably...

sinkersanddinkers

Yep, really cheered me up knowing that in the future we're gonna be considered an "unusual blip" in the history of the planet. That kind of implies that we fall somewhere between dirt and cockroaches. LOL

On another note, not that Im preaching or anything, all of this that is expected to happen in the near future, has been fortold in the bible. Revelations.