Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:37:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Pro's React to New Yamaha Game Changer

Started by djkimmel, November 17, 2009, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Watch the short video to the pro's react to their first peak at the New Yamaha Game Changer!

Click on the "View pro reactions video" button once you go there.

Another reason why I trust Yamaha's 'Turn the Key Reliability' for all my fishing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

But Dan, are they ever going to stop teasing and tell us the whole story? Looks fast anyway

t-bone

Says to come back Nov 20th... the suspense is killing me. I'd like to see some non-yamaha pros react to the engine rather than the guys in the blue hats.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

thedude

I don't get all the suspense and hype.... is it the Verado II or something?  ;D

its an outboard... they can act like its revolutionary all they want but unless its gets 20mpgs with no performance loss across the spectrum, it really won't be anything other than hype. don't get me wrong - i like yami's as much as the next guy but if its so fantastic and revolutionary then lets see it....  

way i see it, its the new marketing thing to do with your new motor - 1st mercury verado, then the 'rude etech, and now this. Improved engines? sure in some respects. Neither were all that exciting. Does the opinion of a few guys sponsored by Yamaha really lend that much more credence to it?

Didn't mean to rant, i just get sick of super-hyped marketing..... you can thank Apple computers and the 2008 elections for that! Give me some substance!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

thedude

Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Shoot!!! I'm tired. I meant psychic! Psychic!

Actually, the motor does sound pretty amazing! I wouldn't call it a verado. That's like comparing a bus to a Porsche from the description and from my experiences with verados. Those things were massive and I did not really believe that many bass anglers would want to hang something that huge on the back of their performance rig.

That has been the main issue with 4 stroke motors all along. Weight versus performance compared to 2 stroke motors. Sounds like Yamaha may have leaped ahead a couple generations...

thedude

i agree with you Dan. From the article, it sounds like yamaha has successfully addressed the weight issues - however i don't know how small you can actually make a 4.2l v6!  :o I hope its a great motor and a stepping stone to more efficient and powerful outboards in the future.

like i said though, when you can make any engine that gets GOOD gas mileage (like as good or better than my TRUCK)  then i'm really going to be impressed.  There's 15 year old motors that can put out tons of power (with some tweaks) and get bad gas milage... i find it hard to justify the cost of some of these state-of-the-art engines coming out that don't really offer that much more and come with a huge price tag.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Redbone

The Verado's are big in size, but you can hear a pin drop at full speed. My fathers 250,out of the water, dwarfs me standing next to it. A Quiet motor has a big advantage in alot of cases. If they could put the technology of a Verado in a V-Max size.. now your talking. I imagine this is just hype though...

Jighead

The designer in me cringes when I hear "light weight composites".  But then I also want to trust that they did plenty of FEA analysis and durability testing - especially on the mount, which they claim to be 29% lighter (if I read it right).  We all know what the water up here can do to heavier engine mounts and cowlings.

Don't get me wrong - I hope it works out great.  That's the kind of innovation the industry needs to push 4-stroke technology.  Especially after Mercury screwed the pooch with the Verado.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

capt charlie's charters

hello...what part of Yamaha aren't you folks getting, Yamaha is spelled Japanese! Unfortunately the American market has been hit so bad that the only one left is a Merc and I'm not sure what models of theirs are manufactured overseas.  have you driven a new F150 yet? do yourself a big favor and test drive today!  no need to buy foreign with what Ford and GM are putting out !

McCarter

Redbone

Im Pretty sure Ford is the biggest importer of foriegn parts of ALL the auto makers.   >:(

djkimmel

I drive a Ford F350. I plan on buying a Chevy/GM truck when I can manage the next one.

Waterfoul

Merc has never done me wrong.

If it aint black, throw it back!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bassmandan

ill keep my mercs...i dont need no lawlmaha or evinrofl  ;)
"dont stop keep fishing"

dartag

this what i would call a game changer.  can't use them in FLW,  not sure about KLBA.  took these last weekend in Fla.

djkimmel

My last Mercury 'threw' itself back unfortunately... but I've told that story before. They do seem to have things together pretty good now which is good for everyone. Competition is important. And I don't want anyone I know to have a bad product.

I buy American as much as I can including making sure I know when I'm really buying American verses thinking I'm buying American. Sometimes, I buy things that are sold by Americans, so they can have jobs, though some of the product is not American. As we all do. Every day.

motocross269

I won't get into the American vs Foriegn debate...I am employed by Ford so obviously I am bias in that respect...

People are kidding themselves if they don't want to believe that 4 strokes will dominate the outboard market in the next decade....I remember in the early part of this decade making statements along the lines of "Four strokes will never be competitive in MX"..Well guess what I couldn't have been more wrong...Who was the first company to put a truly competitive Four stroke MX bike on the track and into production...Yamaha....13,000 RPM Fourstroke motors are common place on the MX track...

The only thing that concerns me is cost of maintenance and durability of the valve train...I went from 350 dollar motor rebuilds to costs pushing in the thousands with my last CRF 450..

The Four strokes will be fast and competitive you can take that to the bank....The costs associated with the Valve train is the only thing that should be a real concern..

djkimmel

Lets hope for great toughness and reliability. I have had zero problems with Yamaha HPDI Vmax since I got it 5 years ago. That's the turn the key reliability I truly needed after my previous motors.

Luckily, they all seem to be getting a lot better the past few seasons.