Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:38:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Xpress X19SS

Started by peters_skeeter, November 15, 2009, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peters_skeeter

Has anyone ever owned or fished out of an Xpress X19SS? This is a 19' aluminum boat, similar to a bass tracker, but the max hp is 200. :o That's crazy! It seems that a boat that light with that much horse power would be a squirlly ride at top speed.  ???
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

djkimmel

Never been in that model before. I've heard mostly positive things about them, but don't have much feedback based on long term use up here on our Great Lakes. I know a Great Lakes angler who is thinking about getting one, but so far, no purchase.

In Mexico on Lake Comedero, I did fish out of 17' foot versions all week that had 60 HP Yamaha's on them. Nice to fish out of considering we were in the real wilderness.

They seemed pretty stable and though we didn't get into rough water like up here, they did fairly well in bumpy water. Looks like they are well built.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

WayneC

Frank Keller has an Xpress 19'.  He fishes NBAA and some other tournaments and is very satisfied with it.  He has since switched to a different outboard but my time on his boat has been with the 150hp he used to have.  The boat has a nice deck layout and rides a lot smoother on St. Clair than you might think for aluminum.  It comes down off the waves softly.  I would seriously consider it for myself.

djkimmel

If my memory worked a little better... I would have remembered that, though I knew you were fond of them.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

WayneC

To finish answering the question...I haven't seen a stability problem at WOT.

Anthony Adams

The X19 Hull is a standard Mod-V hull design. The construction and build are similar to the Bass Tracker Pro 190 Hull.

There are some big advantages to Mod V hull designs. I can't speak for the X19 but the Pro 190 will run on plane in less than 6 Inches of water. The hull design of the mod V is the most versatile & proven hull design and it originated in the Bass Tracker product line. This one of a kind hull design allows for good rough water performance and great perfomance when maneuvering on the shallow flats.

The hull performs best in less than 2 feet waves. If your a fisherman who spends a great deal of time on rough water you may want to consider a deeper hull design. The flatter bottom design doesn;t offer as much cushion as a deeper hull design does.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

WayneC

That's some great inside info Anthony.  Considering everything you've mentioned, I've still been surprised by the ride of the Xpress.  It's not the kind of hull that you can overcome the bigger waves with but with some skillful driving even three foot chop can be handled surprisingly well.  It's the way it comes down on the next wave...very soft.  Compared to most boats in that size class I wouldn't feel like I was giving anything away as far as big water performance.  Now when you get into the 21' class, that's a different story altogether.  There is at least one fiberglass boat I would trust to push through anything Lake St. Clair can throw at it with a driver behind the wheel that has average boat handling skills. 

What do you think about the deeper walleye hulls?  I haven't found them to be as forgiving as they look.    My perception of the deeper hulls in the walleye style boats (that would fit with our style of fishing) used to be that they would be a better ride.  No matter what brand of walleye boat I have been on the ride has been consistently disappointing.  Those hulls can work out OK but is always seems to come down to a finely tuned setup to get the best ride.  The other two things that curb my enthusiasm are the pedestal seats and the amount of wind they catch that force over corrections in boat control.

Anthony Adams

Quote from: WayneC on November 17, 2009, 06:40:32 PM
That's some great inside info Anthony. 

What do you think about the deeper walleye hulls? 

I haven't found them to be as forgiving as they look.    My perception of the deeper hulls in the walleye style boats (that would fit with our style of fishing) used to be that they would be a better ride. 

I assume your speaking directly to me Wayne.

Like Bass boats there are a variety of Walleye hull designs, I could go into length about each one and it's pro's and cons.

The real question is .... what specific Characteristic are you looking for. I am assuming ride since you mentioned that.

Best Ride & Construction - I love the Tracker Tundra 21 - It is the only Aluminum boat that is forged aluminum. It has the benefits of both Aluminum and Fiberglass. The ride is second to none and this boat has been voted best ride for some time.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing