Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Help with the Detroit river.

Started by peters_skeeter, October 12, 2009, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peters_skeeter

I am thinking about fishing the detroit river out of Elizabeth park in the next few weeks (if the weather holds out). Can any one give me a few pointers on what to look for and what to do? ??? Fished LSC last weekend, did horrible. >:( Would like one nice day of fishing before the year is over.
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

Firefighter Jeff

Hey Jp,  I can't help you on the river.  It's been a few years since I fished it.  Personally I don't like the river.  Too much current for me.  But I might be able to point you in the right direction.  My brother has fished it a bunch.  E-mail him at Stretchmfd94@sbcglobal.net  His name is Larry.  Make sure to put somehting about detroit river in the subject heading or my name Jeff Regina, or he might not open it up.  lol  Hey my other brother and I fished St. Clair last week also and struggled.  Fished 3 1/2 days from metro beach to Grosse Point flats and only caught 45 smallies.  Did get three 4 pounders but still, not what we had expected.  How did you do, and where did you fish??

peters_skeeter

I fished the mile roads in 12'-13'. I used jerk baits, crank baits, blades, tubes, drop shot, lipless crank. Did not catch one fish in two days. My father in law was ticked. I did not want to leave until I caught at least one! What a sad weekend. :'( I talked to someone at Dooley's about the fishing, they suggested that I go to the shipping channel and fish in 15'. We got up Sunday and started heading out, I got half way there and there were about 2-3' waves and we decided to come back. I only have a bass tracker 175. 17'-6" aluminum. My father in law wasn't hip about going any further, so we turned back. Followed around a few boats to see what they were doing along the mile roads, they didn't look too happy we were there, oh well, I wasn't like they were catching a whole lot anyways!

MIBassKid

jp- was that you out on the mile roads saturday and sunday around 12 mile? I was in the Blue and white Triton. I think you fished around us for awhile on both days. We were in the Big Ten Tournament so when we found fish Saturday we left. We only caught one fish over by you guys but we saw another boat within 100 yds. pull in 6 within 15 minutes so we decided not to beat those fish up and mark that spot for Sunday.
-Luke

peters_skeeter

;D Probably, we fished the mile roads all weekend. Did you hear my father in law whining about the weather?

MIBassKid

haha no couldn't hear anyone. It sure was cold out there. I'm sure it was you..around 12 mile out from the white tent?

Firefighter Jeff

Hey jp, sounds like you were in the right water depth.  Just needed to stick with crankbaits.  My brother and I fished last week Mon thru Thur.  Weather was a little warmer early in the week but it turned WINDY and colder.  We got some fish figured but we were in 9 to 10 feet of water.  It's tough isin't it when you are changeing baits and can't get bit.  If you could just know whick one to stick with.  We got lucky and cought a couple when we switched to cranks.  We would have done better if we had been a little deeper it seems.  We ended up with 45 fish for 3 total days of fishing with 3 between 4 and 4 1/2.

markgoetsch

I'm also currently having a hard time finding the smallies in erie.  I went out sunday and tried everywhere from bar point to Colchester from 4' the 16' and couldn't get a bite.  I saw other boats fishing the same areas but didn't see them catch any fish either.  I was wondering if anyone had an idea where they went.  Now that the tourneys are over I figured that info. might be a little easier to come by.

TritonTR20

Was out at colchester on Sunday also. Caught over 40 smallies in 20-25 ft.