Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need a boat ramp near Windmill Point.... suggestions?

Started by Waterfoul, October 08, 2009, 10:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

I"ve never fished that far south and would like to give it a look Friday.  Can anyone give me directions to a ramp near the Windmill Point area?  I'm coming from Grand Rapids.  Or post an address of something near/across the street, etc... from a ramp and I can put it into my Nuvi.

Thanks,

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Waterfoul

Um..... was there a message in there somewhere Madwags?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

LennyB

Vaughan - Reids Ramp (AKA St. Jeans) is the closest ramp to windmill point. It is located at: 1 St. Jean, Detroit, MI.

You can go to www.MichiganBassFishingTour.com and click on Launch Sites and then select St. Jeans and it will bring up a Mapquest map for directions.

The ramp is open 24/7 until Oct 31 and costs $10.00 to launch.

fiker

Bender and I launched out of there this spring during the Walleye run.  I thought it was a pretty good ramp.   A little tight, but not bad.

I'm guessing that the $10 would more than be saved in gas money, and time, compared to coming down from either Harley, or the cut off.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Waterfoul

I know for a fact I can't run from Harley/Metro/Crocker to Windmill Point and back for $10, not even close.

MadWags

Quote from: Waterfoul on October 08, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
Um..... was there a message in there somewhere Madwags?

No message. Just a link. When I click it all the info for the ramp you want to use is there, including pictures, driving directions amd more.
But to respond directly to your original post.
Use Reids Ramp aka St. Jeans.

Take the Conner Ave exit 220B to City Ariport - go 0.2 mi
Continue on Conner St - go 2.3 mi
Continue toward Clairpointe St - go 0.1 mi
Bear left at Clairpointe St - go 0.2 mi
Turn right at Freud St - go 0.5 mi
Turn left at St Jean St - go 0.3 mi

Civil Division: Detroit

County: Wayne

Coordinates: Lat:42.355724, Lon:-82.963772

Waterbody: Detroit River

Site Rules:
(1) Special rules apply, such as special closing hours, rules against consumption of alcoholic beverages, or others. This designation is also used where the site rules are established by an agency other than the Department of Natural Resources.

Ramp Description:
A hard-surface ramp with sufficient water depth and lake or impoundment size to accommodate all trailerable watercraft (minimum of 2.5 - 3 feet deep at a distance of 20 feet from shore). The site is signed.

Site Administrator:
Detroit City

Contact Number: (323) 224-1100

Total Parking Spaces: 75

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Waterfoul

Funny thing is... there is no link in your post here on my work computer.  Strange.  But thanks!!

Bender

When using St. Jeans make sure to waypoint it before you go out into the river. That place is hard to find when you are coming back in!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

MadWags

Quote from: Waterfoul on October 08, 2009, 05:27:04 PM
Funny thing is... there is no link in your post here on my work computer.  Strange.  But thanks!!

How can that be? Must be a security thing.
Does anybody else see it?

djkimmel

Apparently... many work places feel they can block non-work content from being shown on their computers in their browsers. They can block links, scripts, ad graphics, types of pages, entire types or categories of web sites. Really makes doing what matters overly complicated ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

There is a large cement structure in the middle of the river right near the entrance of the ramp. I use that as well as GPS to locate the entrance to the ramp. It is a bit tucked away and can be a little hard to find at first.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Skulley

Although not the greatest ramp in the world, St. Jeans is closer to Windmill and the Grosse Points as well as south shore areas.  Some of the areas on the south shore light up this time of year.   I use St. Jeans a lot. 

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Skip Johnson

Theres a ramp at the end of Alter rd that puts you right at windmill point, its about 1/3 mile closer to the lake than st jeans and its $6 and open 24/7.
I use it alot and its fine plus its no where near as steep as st jeans.
Go Big or Go Home!

Skulley

Cast, I heard about that launch but have never been able to find it.  How about some directions.  You can put them here or PM me.  Thanks.   :D  Glad to hear you did well in Iowa.  Always nice to cash a check but I am sure it would have been sweeter making the cut. 

BD         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Skip Johnson

Hey Bill yeah Iowa was a blast, just one more fish and I woulda made the cut and I had it on a few times so Im bummed about that plus I came in 45 minutes early on day 2, I gave myself too much time to get back to the ramp becouse the wind was blowing about 40 mph, I realy think I coulda put another fish in the boat with that 45 minutes but Im very happy to just have cashed a check so it is what it is, I love that place and cant wait to go back.

To get to Alter Rd ramp I come down 94 west from Port Huron to I think outer drive exit then hang a left on alter and take it to the end, as alter rd hits the river and takes a right turn the launch is immediatley on your right, its a 2 lane ramp in just fair shape but has a good dock and isnt as steep as st jeans so I like it, theres parking for about 20 rigs and usualy only has a half dozen rigs in it so theres alot of room.
when you put in take the canal to the north then hang a right to the river, it puts you about 50 yds from the lake in the river.
its not in the best of neighborhoods but I think its a better neighborhood than st jeans, Ive allways had all my cement tools in the bed of my truck and never a problem.

Im sure I will see you down at the winter hole soon.
Go Big or Go Home!

Skulley

Thanks for the info Skip.  I have been fishing a lot on Erie over the last month and have had some stellar days.  Erie is always a great place to go in the fall however you have to be alert as the wind in the fall will kick up in a moments notice.  It can go from smooth to 6 footers in less than an hour. 

As soon as Belle Isle water temps dip below 40, I'll be at the winter hole.  I may even make a trip sooner.  I have been watching the water level meter in the Maumee River and there have been some days in the most recent past that would indicate a Erie seich.  Levels dipping 20 to 40 inches below low water displacement.  When the wind stops blowing out, the levels raise back up to 30 to 40 inches above low water displacement.  Last year during the fall the water was in the teetering around 10 inches below to 10 to 15 inches above low water displacement.  That is enough water to get in there but you got to be careful.  See you out there soon.    ;)

BD            ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

mikesmiph

Can you guys give me a little more info about this "winter hole"? I'm kinda new to this, but I'm also not ready to put my boat up for the winter. Thanks