Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lowrance Questions

Started by blakstr1, April 05, 2006, 12:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

I'm wondering about the GPS antennas, with the new NMEA 2000 rating they have produced a LCG-2000 antenna, but will the last models (LCG-12W) work with the newer GPS units if you aren't going to be sharing info through LowranceNet? 

Not sure if I made that clear or not, so here is my relative example.

I have a LMS-240 with a LCG-12W antenna currently installed, I just bought a LCX-17M that is NMEA 2000 compatible and suggests using a LCG-2000 antenna....will the existing antenna work?

Next is can someone explain the benefits of using a dual frequency transducer vs. a single? 

I was on the phone for 45 minutes and still hadn't talked to anyone at Lowrance this morning..had to hang up unfortunately...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Revtro

I heard a guy giving a seminar once on sonar and he said that if you are experiencing cross-talk between 2 sonar units on your boat, or if you're getting interference from nearby boats, that you can switch frequencies to elimate that problem.  But I also heard another guy say that if you use the 200khz in shallow water, it's hard to get a good depth reading because it returns too quickly or something to that affect.  I have a dual freqency transducer and I have only ever used it on the frequency they recommend for shallow water (50, I think..I may have them backwards...DOH!)  I guess the other frequency is for fishing extremely deep water...nothing like we have in St. Clair.  But I don't fish Erie much, so I can't comment on whether or not I'd need to switch frequencies for the deeper water.  I'll take a look at my manual for my LMS-480 and see what else I can find out for ya.

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Revtro

Here's what I found in the manual...

The LMS-480DF transducer operates with both 200 kHz and 50 kHz.
The 200 kHz frequency has a 12? cone angle and the 50 kHz frequency
has a 35? cone angle.

The default frequency is 200 kHz, which is best for use in shallow water
(about 300 feet or less). This frequency is the best choice for about 80
percent of the fresh and salt water sport fishing applications. When you
get into very deep salt water, 300 to 500 feet or deeper, the 50 kHz fre-
quency is the best choice.

The 200 kHz transducer will give you better detail and definition, but
less depth penetration. The 50 kHz transducer will give you greater
depth penetration, but a little less detail and less definition. (Remember,
all sonar units typically read deeper in fresh water than in salt water.)
There is a common exception to these rules of thumb. Some fishermen
on freshwater lakes (or the ocean) using downriggers like to see them
on the sonar. In many of those cases, you'll see a 50 kHz transducer
frequency in use because the wider cone angle lets them watch the bait.

-- I guess I had the 50/200khz thing backwards...  Also, contrary to my last post, it seems to have more to do with cone angle than frequency as far as fishing deep or shallow. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Revtro

Here's what their parts documentation says about that module.

LGC-12W   Part # 112-06
12 parallel-channel GPS module. WAAS capable.
Works with: GlobalMap 2400, GlobalMap 3000, LCX-104C, LCX-15CI, LCX-15MT, LCX-16CI, LCX-18C, LCX-19C, LMS-240
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Revtro

Ok... I just spoke with Lowrance tech support.  The lady told me that you cannot use the LCG-12W antenna with the LCX 17M.  Her words to me were "It's a different antenna entirely."  I probed her about the pin config and she just reiterated that it's not a compatible antenna.  According to her you must use the LCG-2000.   :(

Straight from the horse's mouth.  Bummer.  Maybe you can find one on eBay for cheaper than the $229 they're asking at LEI.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

This is what I plan to do...I've already got 2 GPS units on the boat with 2 seperate antennas, I'm going to eliminate my Globalmap 2400 from the bow and move my LMS-240 to the bow from the console.  The LMS-240 has sonar and temp, where the Globalmap was just a GPS, I also have an X-65 up on the bow that I will be able to eliminate altogether.  I'll have to add a new trolling motor mount transducer.  Then I'll put the new LCX-17M at the console with the new transducer off the transon, and i believe I will have to replace my existing antenna here with a new NMEA-2000 in order to run the livewell temp probe and the fuel consumption probes that I want to install.  For this year I won't try to get a compatible sonar/gps unit for the bow, I'll let that stand alone and not hook it up through the LowranceNet.  I got a great deal on the LCX-17M but unfortunately it didn't come with the new antenna even though its brand new...(probably reason for the deal) i'm trying to get away without buying one if i don't have too, they run about $200 or so. 

so far this is the plan...should be a good education for me before its all over.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

blakstr1

Tom-

Guess I took a little long writing my last post, wow thanks for getting ahold of them for me, I waited, and waited....? looks like i don't have too many options.? i have both the globalmap 2400 and lms-240 that you listed, now i had to go and throw a monkey wrench into things!!? i think the 7" screen and awesome map compatability will be worth it, plus i bought it...yes off ebay...for an absolute song..i set my alarm last night for 2am and won it at the last possible minute. 8)? i found a guy selling a new LCG-2000 unit for $185, not on ebay...so that might be the best deal i'll find...

thanks a ton for the help Tom...what a guy! ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Revtro

Glad to help.  It was a pleasant distraction from my work.  Now.. back to work. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

yukonjack2

I know you are set, but check out http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeromain

the moderator on gps electronics is very good!

they told me that too, the 12W will not work on the nmea2000 network.

e-bay has some deals as you saw - especially on the fuel and temp probes you are looking for - figure $50 ea for the temp and flow guages. there is a flow guage for your dash that looks pretty interesting as well,  but its a little pricey - like $149. I am a bit nervous on the accuracy of the analog fuel gauges, and would like to put that in as well. I am not sure what the fuel info  looks like on the lcx-17.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

blakstr1

thats for the tip Jack...I posted on BBC earlier today but haven't gotten a reply yet..i know the guy your talking about though something like "Quachita"  whatever it is he does seem to have alot of knowledge about Lowrance.  So far searching the net i've found the LCG-2000 for $180..  that's the cheapest, not bad I guess..Cabelas price is $244...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

ronhuntfish

Hey blakstr1,
I don't know if I missed it, but what kind of transducer are you putting on? Is it the shoot-thru-hull, or a skimmer/mount on transom?
I know when I got my lcx15 it came with the skimmer/transom mount and I was able to send it back to Lowrance and they sent me the shoot thru hull.  I believe the shoot-thru-hull is only in 200khz.  That really doesn't matter, since you won't be fishing in 300 ft of water, I hope.

blakstr1

I bought some extra heavy jigs just for sight fishing in 287' of gin clear water!  it's a technique I plan to master... ;D

i'm putting it on the transom, its a dual freq. transducer..my X65 up front has a shoot thru and it doesn't always work the best, so I'll stick with the transom mount in back, then I'm going to put a TM mounted one on the LMS240 I'm moving to the front...

The fellow I bought it from told me I could send the 'ducer back to Lowrance and they would swap if I wanted...

I've got lots of projects to get to as soon as I head up north to get the boat out of storage..plan to do that soon.

Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

blakstr1

Talked to Heather Williams this morning, prices for the new antenna and probes are best thru her.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com