Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

best boat

Started by blazer64, September 29, 2009, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blazer64

I would like to here everybodys comments on the best bass boats for rough water on the great lakes? Lets here it all.

motocross269

Your going to open a can of worms here...   ;D

I am going to say the new Bass Cat Jaguar would be the best all around Bass Boat for the great lakes.....

Seriously though from what I have seen it is more about the driver than the boat...It seems that everyone makes good boats nowadays...

djkimmel

Z21 Ranger with a 250 Yamaha HPDI

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Fishing from the Co side I get to ride in alot of different boats and the best ride in rough water in my opinion is a Champion, second Bass Cat Jaguar, and third Ranger.

On the other side the most back breaking and wettest wave spearing rides in rough water have been in nitros, and second skeeters.
FISH HARD!!!

MBell

You'll get 50 different answers to that question.  The driver and prop has a lot to do with how the boat will handle in rough water, so don't let one bad experience scare you away from a particular brand.  Check out the boat owners forums on bass boat central, you can get a good gauge on the different boats problems.  FYI Champion has been owned by gemnar the last few years.
-Matt 

djkimmel

I also include safe fishability in rough water, which means a flatter, more stable platform that doesn't roll excessively, not just the ride. Hopefully spend more time fishing than driving. Some boats are easier to stay standing than others in the waves.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blazer64

I figured that might get something started. I myself own a 202 blazer and love the boat. I fished out of Elizabeth Park Sat. and Sun. we didnt get wet but i really got a work out keeping dry. I was just wondering if its any easier in other rides. I like my boat and dont know if im ready to switch brands or stay with the blazer. I like the speed ya know. Ill keep an eye on the board and see if i learn anything.

motocross269

Here are some pictures of the Jag that is sitting at Sherm's marine..There is a side by side comparison of the Jag sitting next to a Cougar FTD..The Cougar FTD is a 20' 4" boat so you get an idea on how massive the Jag is....Initial Performance numbers have the Jag running in the high 70s...I would be willing to bet that the rough water ride will be awesome....
Notice the 8 Ft rod lockers for the Co-angler...The tackle storage system is awesome, I just don't want to lock up the site with too many pictures....

REEL_MAN

Your question wasn't what the best bass boat is for the great lakes, you asked what is the best boat. Well in the last BFL I fished as a co out of a Ranger620 fisherman. Not that it was a Ranger but it is a Walleye boat. We passed the bass boats and the ride was smooth and DRY. It isn't the fastest boat until you get in the rougher water then they out perform ANY bass boat. Another advantage is they have lots of room. I have a ranger bass boat now but if I look for another boat it will be the walleye style.

REELMAN
<)))))>{

bigjc

There are only 3 choices for rough water bass boats:  Bass Cat; Legend Custom Bass Boats and some Ranger models (including Fishermen Series/ walleye rigs).

I love my Legend, it is a great rough water ride.

JC

MadWags

I have a 2004 Skeeter FX210. It handles the big water just fine. It is a dry ride, which is very impotant on big water. I am very confident in the capabilities of my boat and have had it in very extreme conditions. St. Clair is my home water so I see my share of weather and tuna boat conditions.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Lightningboy

The real answer to your question is "none".  Bass boats aren't designed for great lakes fishing.  Not that it can't or shouldn't be done, but you need to respect the limitations of your ride.

The best big water rides are the walleye or multi-species boats.  They are designed to handle much bigger water than a bass boat; but they do give up shallow water fishability and maneuverability.  But you can take some of the design cues from walleye boats to pick out a better functioning bass boat.

Size is the first factor.  Bigger is better; you can do the great lakes with smaller rides, but I wouldn't be in any less than a 21 footer.  A longer craft spans swells better.

Then consider deadrise.  That's the angle of the underside of the bow.  A sharper deadrise cuts waves better in general; you get less "slap" when you come down on a swell.  Some will tell you to avoid faster hulls, and that hull weight makes the biggest difference in rough water rides.  Champions have a good reputation in rough water because of their sharp deadrise, but so does a 21 foot bullet.  Which by the way is a suprisingly good big water ride.

For fishability, it's a compromise.  Hulls that ride higher in the water protect you better from waves, but have a greater "sail" effect in the wind.  Bass boats that have an outward flare at the gunnel with a sharp bow deadrise cut waves better & keep swells off the deck.

How you equip it makes a big difference too.  Max the HP, you can never have enough power on hand when your driving big swells.  Think about it; it's the only time your boat ever "climbs" uphill.  And put on a hot foot.  You need both hands on the wheel to drive the big swells.  You also cannot get on or off the throttle as fast with a hand control.

Get a hydraulic jackplate.  The bigger the swells, the greater chance your prop will break free.  You lose bite, you lose control.  With a hydraulic JP you can get that prop deeper while still being able to change trim angle.

The TM needs to be a deep shaft too.  24V minimum, you can never have enough power in big wind.

But most important, learn to drive the big water.  Guys will brag on how different hulls are better than others, but it's all hogwash.  The driver make the biggest difference.  I've been in "good" big water hulls with some bad drivers, and it sucked.  I've also been in some pretty rough stuff in "fast" hulls with a good driver; never felt a drop hit me.  Sit up in that seat, get both hands on the wheel with your elbows up, and drive that sucker.

I'm in a 2000 TR-21, not exactly a great rough water hull design.  But my equipment includes a 250+ hp merc with a 4 blade trophy for lots of lift and good bite.  It's hung on an 8 inch hydraulic JP; turn signal controls for both the trim and JP.  Also, a set of hydraulic trim tabs.  And the newer triton SRS "sprung" seats.  With the set up and a good driver, she makes an OK big water ride.

But a Bullet 21XDC is lookin' mighty fine sometime in the future... 8)