Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Planning first trip to LSC

Started by mikesmiph, September 29, 2009, 06:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

Most likely going to be in the spring now, but want to get out on LSC. Never been before, and I could use some info please. I have an 18ft Nitro with 150hp, but its rather narrow. Am i going to have trouble with roughness? My 8yr old grandaughter is my favorite fishing buddy, and her safety is always my greatest concern. I've read most of the posts on here, and figure we'll either try the mile roads, or the south side. What are the rules for crossing over into Canada? Any other info anyone thinks I need would be greatly appreciated. Inland lake fisherman only, up to now. I really want to get out on some bigger water. Thanks for any help.     Mike

motocross269

Your boat should be fine..You just have to make sure to check the NOAA reports and try to fish during the week...Boat wakes can be murder on the weekends, but your boat is plenty big enough to handle most anything with a little common sense...
Just make sure (I am sure you do) that your granddaughter wears a PFD at all times and it isn't a bad idea for you too...

As far as crossing into Canada remember the season doesn't open up in Canada until the end of June...If you are going to fish after that crossing into Canadian waters will take a Canadian license that can be purchased online at lakeside fishing....

If I were you and was going to bring my little one I would concentrate on fishing the mile roads during the catch and release season..The fishing should be fast and furious and you don't have to worry about a Canadian license..Also the Mile roads is fairly sheltered and you can duck in a number of places and still fish if the weather kicks up...

If you are looking for lodging there is a new hotel that has been built close to the Selfridge launch..It is a Holiday Inn Express and is in a fairly safe area only minutes from the launch....

Post again when you get closer to your trip and I am sure you will gain more info on spots and patterns that our developing at that time...LSC changes from year to year so you have to keep your eyes open on what productive patterns seem to be devoloping....Good luck look forward to seeing you on the water....

mikesmiph

Thanks for the quick response. I'm already looking forward to spring.

Waterfoul

Second on the Mile Roads area in the early season.  Senkos, drop shot, spinnerbaits, and jerk baits all worked well for me the last few trips early in the season.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

ROI Outdoors

The biggest thing is not planning a trip around your calendar but rather planning your trip around the weather.  During the summer it can flat but boat wake is worse than the straight waves (less than 3's at least).  Personnally I would try and make the trip into Canada if at all possible - Lakeside Fishing Shop. 25110 Jefferson Ave. Saint Clair Shores, MI 48081 (586) 777-7003 can get you squared away with a license and some good spots to start at.  In the spring you can pretty much use cheerios to catch the fish and the mile roads are a good spot but if you want to really smack the fish head to the Belle River Hump.  This area gets way less boat traffic and pressure during the first few weeks of the season and the fish are generally consistently bigger.  If you want to anchor or moor your boat in Canada you'll have to spend a good 3 hours at customs to get what basically amounts to a International water passport - it is handy but unneccessary if you don't plan on heading into a Canadian port to grab some Timmy Hortons or something.

The mile roads are decent but in my opinion the best spot in the spring on the American side is near the mouth of Detroit River.  We've had plenty of 100+ keeper days down there and the fish are much more concentrated when you find them. 

Tubes, tubes, and tubes work well year round - seriously though they are the easiest bait to throw the first time out there and will always catch fish especially early season.  If there is current you'll want to do what's called "the Erie drift" - cast at a 90 degree angle of your drift and let that tube drag the on the bottom and when you get bit remember what angle you get bit and start casting directly to that angle and you'll have a blast. 

Let's get you out there this fall on the 17th - call me at 616-558-6133 (I dropped my other cell in the river Monday trying to tail a steelie!).
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com