Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Buffing the glass coat

Started by bshaner, September 21, 2009, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

I'm going to buff out the scratches as best I can on my glass coat.  Anyone have tips?  Brand of buffing compound?  How abrasive?  I've never done it before so any tip, no matter how obscure is welcomed.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

zooker

if you have scratchs just in the gel not in the glass..you can use scratch out available at walmart..put it on lighty let dry and hand buff out..that done you'll have to re wax the whole boat or it will have a funny looking spot in it...

i use merguires 100% carnuba with a 10" power buffer-super cloth bonnet-...i do mine 4 times a year using pledge after every outing between waxings..i fish year round from my boat and am pretty anal toward keeping it clean...

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...

djkimmel

Shurhold has the products you could use to do a good job with less effort on your boat.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Lightningboy

OK, as many will attest, I'm a shiny freak.  I love all my rides to have that deep shine you could read a paper in.  I've done a fair amount of research, and have reached this system as my present favorite.  I treat my boat and cars alike.  Be warned, this is pretty time consuming the first time; but upkeep is much easier.  But if you don't keep it up, you'll be back to square one over time.

I like 3M, meguires, and mothers.  There are many great brands out there, these are just the ones I've come to like.

Start with a good cleaning.  Wipe the hull with a wax/grease remover to clean up any road deposits.  If you've got water spots, a bath in CLR with a wash right after will get them out.  Wipe it dry and stay in the shade.

Using a buffer rub out the whole hull with 3M Finesse-it.  This puts a great shine on the whole rig.  You'll have spots with deeper marks that still show.  Hit those areas with 3M Perfect-it.  It's a deeper cut cleaner; it should remove most of the marks.  Those areas will be hazy, follow up with another round of Finesse-it.

You'll be left with the slightest haze.  Get rid of it by going over the hull with a machine glaze.  A glaze isn't abrasive; it fills in the micro scratches left from buffing so the surface looks smoothe.  It also contains conditioners that help keep the gel from becoming brittle.

Now that you're shiny, time for some protection.  You can use a carnuba wax, that leaves a deep shine.  But it won't last more than a couple of weeks.  A polymer sealant will give protection for about 6 months, but has a glassy shine to it.

Best bet is a combo.  I wax the hull with meguires NXT tech wax; it's a polymer sealant.  Rub it on like you're massaging the hull, and remove when it dries.  Next day, rub a coat of a carnuba wax of your choice on the hull.  You can follow up each night with as many coats of carnuba as you like.

The result will be a deep, easy to keep shine like no other.  Follow this pattern twice a year; once in spring, and once in fall.  It goes much quicker after the first time, since you've worked over the bad spots the first time.  It also gets better each time, as you keep improving your bad spots each time you do it.

For upkeep, wipe down right after you leave the water.  Always use a microfiber towel; they don't scratch.  Spray the hull while it's still wet with with a "wax as you dry" product.  I use the turtle wax version, but only since I can get it at a discount.

I know this sounds like a lot of work.  But the result is spectacular.  My TR21 is a 2000; but I get that raised eyebrow look when I tell people what year she is.  This will leave you with the kind of finish you need to be careful stepping on when wet, it's that slick.

River Rat

I've been a fan of Meguire's products for deep cleaning/buffing.  For regular cleaning my preference is BioKleen products, they have a hull cleaner that gets the nasty river sludge off my boat and then there is a QwikShine that I use for the fresh-off-the-water rub down.  They are environment friendly and the company is right down the road in K'zoo.

I'd a let ya use the buffer and all that stuff sitting in my garage, chief!
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

djkimmel

Clean your fiberglass hull like the manufacturers do it, faster, easier and better with Buff Magic and Pro Polish

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

zooker

lightin
don't ya just hate water spots on the prop???

me too...

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...