Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Wayne I gave you a shout out...

Started by motocross269, August 09, 2009, 05:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

Wayne I mentioned the G3 tubes as being key to my win on the BFL trailer...There weren't that many guys left standing around in the rain, but let me know if you see an increase in sales....  ;D
Jack was standing there watching I think he got a kick out of it.......

djkimmel

That's my overall favorite tube on Lake St. Clair. But I didn't win the BFL ;D So... when do we get a little more detail on this story? You know how to write, I've heard somewhere :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mark117

what's a "G3 tubes?"  what was the color? did you win it on the tube or something else? was it just a shout out or what? Did you get the call? Are you on the prostaff yet? talk to me!!! how deep? how far did you run? rocks or grass? U.S. or Canada? What kind of boat? Because I think you were fishing next to me...stop it!

jj sniper

djkimmel

Xtreme Bass Tackle Formula G3 tube - may number 1 favorite color. Because it catches bass like crazy. Especially on Lake St. Clair. Green pumpkin with chartreuse and purple flake.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Quote from: djkimmel on August 10, 2009, 10:23:42 PM
That's my overall favorite tube on Lake St. Clair. But I didn't win the BFL ;D So... when do we get a little more detail on this story? You know how to write, I've heard somewhere :)

Here is how I came to fall in love with the G3 tube....Wayne will be able to support some of this story...

A month or so ago I took my wife and daughter out fun fishing in Anchor bay.  They like to fish there because of the calmer water and it feels more like an inland lake to them. I was throwing Cranks and spinner baits and my wife was dragging a tube around. She wanted to throw the pretty green one with the Purple and Gold flakes...Wham!!! She gets a hit and after a long fight brings in a 5 lber....No sooner does she unhook that bait and get back in the water and another one around 4 hits her lure. Needless to say I am starting to take notice because I couldn't get crap going on my faster moving lures..Shortly after that we had to call it a day...
The week or so after that day I started pre-fishing for my club tournament and getting ready for the BASS state fish off.  I worked Drop shots and all of the other LSC tactics but the best thing I had going was that "pretty" green tube with the purple and gold flakes that my wife had turned me on to..I struggled some Saturday in the club tournament, but did manage to win on Sunday with 18.5 dragging that tube around.
Like most Fisherman I have plastics in boxes, bags and strewn all over my boat. I knew that those tubes were from Wayne's company, but for the life of me I didn't have a clue what they were called. I was running low and I needed to get a quick order in before the State Fish off. I emailed Wayne and described the tubes and he said they were G3 and if I placed an order he would get them right out..I ended up picking up some tubes at the banquet from Lunch money lures and KD just to be safe. What was kind of funny is a couple of guys in my club had made comments that Lure color didn't really matter much, but after my results Sunday I noticed they were first in line to buy a few G3 tubes..
The State fish off ended up not working out really well for me but that was more a combination of things than the bite going cold on the tubes....
Fast forward to the BFL on Saturday...I prefished with all of the plans of going as a boater. When I called the FLW HQs Monday they said that they had 30 more Cos than boaters. I found a great area about 20 miles from Metro in practice and a couple of secondary areas that would work great for maybe rounding out a limit on the way in.  I started watching the weather reports for Saturday and things didn't look too great. When I got to the meeting Friday night and heard that they had more boaters than Cos that pretty much set in stone that I would stay a Co. I am not fishing the whole series so there is wasn't any sense of taking points from a boater. 
They called my name and boaters name and I went to meet him at the Ranger boat which is customary at these BFL meetings. While I was standing there looking for Curtiss his buddy Larry came up to me and said my boater had truck problems and gave me his cell number..I went home and gave Curtiss a call and he said his tranny had blown out on his truck and that had really cut into his practice time. He asked if I had anything going.  I did but was a little apprehensive about giving up some of my key areas. My boat wasn't around so I couldn't pull out my exact GPS coordinates anyway. 
We met in the morning and sat in line in his truck looking over a LSC hotspots map and agreed we would hit his areas first and then maybe give one of my areas a try. 
We were boat number 24 and after the blast off headed straight for one of his spots that was within a mile of the launch. We managed to put 2 keeper size fish each in the boat.  Curtiss was throwing a jerk bait and I was throwing and jerking a Sand Craw tube(Another one of Wayne's baits). (I didn't have any jerk baits tied on).   The bite slowed there so we moved to another one of his spots, with the wind and waves building it was pretty much impossible to hold there. So he asked me "What have you got". I sat down at his Lowrance GPS and picked out the area that I had hoped still held fish and marked two GPS point using the cursor only..I didn't have the exact coordinates, but I knew we could use the GPS points as reference to start our drifts and cover some areas hoping to basically stumble across some fish in a pretty large area.
The 4 mile run to the spot seemed like a 30 mile journey with the weather and waves pounding us..We hit the Way point "5" that I had marked and started our drift..I threw out the G3 and it didn't take long and I had put one over 4 in the boat. So we marked that point as a supplemental reference point..We basically spent the rest of the day drifting between way point "5" and the supplemental points.  We would pick up a fish or 2 on pretty much every drift.  My basic pattern was to absolutely drag the tube on the bottom with little or no action at all.  You needed to be just ticking the sand grass. I love to Drop shot and throw cranks, but the fish refused to hit those presentations and that was consistent pretty much to what I have found this year.  I know crankbait masters like Chip Harrison have it figured out but I am a long way from being in their league.
With the weather building and having a pretty decent sack I started to get a little anxious about getting in and getting weighed in. Probably too anxious becuase my boater finished just ounces from cashing a check and if he could have put one more kicker in the boat he would have been golden.
We were one of the first to weigh in and I about fell over when Anthony called out my weight. I honestly thought that I had around 18 lbs. But 21-05?? That is my heaviest sack in tournament competition. I had a bass that was 5-01..It held big bass for a while until it got beat by a 5-04..

It was an awesome day even in the bad weather..The boater i drew was a great guy. It was his first time going as a Boater and we kind of worked through alot of issues together. I just wish I could have gotten him to switch over to a G3 sooner, it may have paid off for him with a nice check...

djkimmel

And now you know... the rest of the story... Great story Brian and congratulations again!!! Love to see a dedicated and loyal GreatLakesBass.com member take some names. ;D

WayneC

Wow Dan you were right, he can write!

Thanks for the plug at the BFL, that's huge but it definitely takes second place to that nice sack.  Nicely done!  I'll keep you posted on sales 4 sure and look forward to talking with you soon about the event.

That color has a proven track record over a long period of time and is known as the #2 color in my inventory, all time.  It gets a consistent bite all season long which is unusual for any bait yet it has a big fish factor that is undeniable.  Although we ended up chasing the wrong fish (the St. Clair River bite we had just crashed on us last Sunday) for the Wonderland tournament, Formula G3 was one of the three tubes I went to battle with.

Mark117

WOW! What a great story. Thanks for the info...great job!

how deep? That is the question...

thanks,
                                           jj sniper

motocross269

Quote from: Mark117 on August 12, 2009, 02:25:51 AM
WOW! What a great story. Thanks for the info...great job!

how deep? That is the question...

thanks,
                                           jj sniper

We drifted anywhere from 16-14 ft.....

Mark117

Cool!  Thanks... What a bag of bass!  feels so good!

River Rat

I just now finally came inside from trying to dry my boat out from Saturday so I'm late, sorry but:

Congratulations on a fantastic finish, Moto!

Geez Wayne, after all my ordering the past few wks I thought you'd have sent me some G3's... :P

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

WayneC

There wasn't a mutt in the baits you got recently in fact that lineup has:

* The #1 color for consistency
* My personal best drop-shot tube for big fish
* XBT's best Lake Erie color
* A major player in the laminates which is drawing a big bite this year and doubles as a crossover bait to largemouth
* A bread and butter tube that got unexpectedly hot this year on rock/sand combination structure
* The overall lineup has four distinct dominant colors, two which have the all time strongest highlight colors and one with the new Natural Forage Technology.

The decision to go with Formula G3 for the tournament was made on Saturday during practice and may have been a mistake because the conditions were 180 degrees out of phase from Saturday to Sunday.  Nevertheless, we needed to be around a good population of smallies to be competitive and the bite on the water we committed to really fell flat.

I like the lineup you have and would be confident going into battle anytime, anywhere with it. 

Wayne

River Rat

I honestly wasn't complaining about any of 'em!  My problem Saturday wasn't selection but location.

Actually, all this talk about tubes has got me itching to order more but they'll arrive when my wife will be home this wknd and she'll get mad... I've got "the shakes" right now but gonna wait til next wk... gotta shake the little Great Lakes Craw Tube Devil sitting on my shoulder!

WayneC

Yeah, I figured you were just bustin' my chops for fun which is way cool 'cause that's how my friends and I roll most of the time.  Someone new might not know that so I had to cover all the bases.

We are finally getting a stretch of warmer weather so it will be interesting to see if the bass respond to it or are going to stay set in their ways for the year.  Hopefully when you do get out the bite will be peaking, 'cause it's about time.

Have fun out there...

River Rat

I managed to find a pack of the little piranhas on the Detroit River yesterday and had a ton of fun trying everything at 'em.  Prior to this I hadn't taken the time to develop confidence in drop-shotting a tube well, yesterday - game on!  I caught fish on both the Great Lakes Craw and SC Cray but the Sand was my favorite.  Seemed like the bigger fish went for that one.  Had a beast on a shallow flat get really interested in the Firetiger but couldn't get her to take, probably cause we were staring eye-to-eye...  Anyways, I have faith in using 'bout the whole line up.

Scott

WayneC

Very upbeat report...I too ran into those little piranhas on the Detroit River on Sunday and one blasted a 4" St. Clair Crayfish.

All purchases of both baits and information products are confidential but since you are OK with mentioning it in the post, Sand Craw was the surprise bait of the year I noted before:

* A bread and butter tube that got unexpectedly hot this year on rock/sand combination structure

Firetiger is a streaky bait and the bite usually tracks with pulling the bigger fish out of an aggressive school (post-spawn feeders and the fall bite but any active school of bass will do).  I'm not surprised that a solo fish would be wary.  If you really want to amp up that bait under those conditions add a tube trailer.

Have a great weekend!

Mojo

;D

I first want to congratulate Brian on one heck of a bag !! On a day like that, you must be proud of this as any tournament you've ever been in !!!

Those 3 colors mentioned are the best for the main part of lake St Clair this year.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan