Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tube Colors

Started by HellaBass, August 03, 2009, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HellaBass

Anyone have good ideas for Lake Michigan Tube colors?  Ecspecially Bay De Nocs?

smbassman

I am pulling for the Michigan team to win the divisional, so I can't provide any advice until Aug. 16th.   ;) 

HellaBass

What if you PM and I don't tell my team mates....   ;D

motocross269

I know MN has some great anglers..You will be able to figure it out I am sure...My fellow Team Bass member Smbassman and I have two of our members on the team so he is just giving you a hard time...Smbassman just made the team for next year.....

I would PM Wayne Carpenter from combat tackle from this site for some unbiased information....I am sure he can help you out....If I remember right the Nemesis guys fish Lake Michigan some also....

Good luck to you in a couple of weeks and come back on here and let us know how you did.....

HellaBass

well, how about this, any good tackle shops up in Escanaba/Gladstone area?

smbassman

For the most part, Yoopers consider bass "trash fish".  So you won't see a huge bass selection anywhere up there.  Mostly salmon and walleye close to the bays & Lake Michigan and Trout inland.  Check out the small article in your bass times.  The guy interviewed for that preview gave us the exact same information when we were up there and I truely believe he is one of only 10-12 people in the whole UP that bass fish.  So he is probably the only one to get bass tackle from and is located between Escanabe and Gladstone.

motocross269

You still have time to order some tubes from Wayne.....

djkimmel

I would think Great Lakes Perch and St Clair Goby would work good. I know anywhere on the Great Lakes, I'll throw my favorite, tried and true Formula G3 (green pumpkin with chartruese and purple flake). I catch bass everywhere on that tube, particularly on the big water.

Those three colors would cover most situations in that clear, cool water.

Canadian Mist has been a top producing color since it came on the Great Lakes and inland - smoke with small gold and purple flake that works really good on spooky, clear water. If you are confident with smokes, it is the best. Personally, I would have that one always available, or Erie Goby otherwise, which is one fish-catching tube. I've had excellent, consistent success in clear water on that one, shallow and deep, since it came out.

Last time I fished the lower part of Green Bay, smokes and green pumpkins were the best tubes.

I like to snap jig on the Great Lakes a lot and I use Emerald Shiner Hologram much of the time for it. Simply, it looks like a minnow. The new 2009 version is about as perfect as a design can be. I would have that one handy always myself. You can swim it. Jerk it. Snap it. I even use it as a frog sometimes with no weight and catch bass from clear water weeds.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

HellaBass

Quote from: motocross269 on August 04, 2009, 09:10:31 PM

Good luck to you in a couple of weeks and come back on here and let us know how you did.....

My finsih was right above middle of the pack, the fish up there bite very shallow when the sun is out.  I was pretty close to having them figured out, just a little too late.  You can really catch them on reaction baits like big jerkabaits, swimbaits and spinnerbait with a little sun & wind!