Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishfinder

Started by Big dreams, July 13, 2009, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I have a Humminbird Wide Paramount that stopped working on me.  The back light still comes on but no picture.  Has anyone had this problem before? 

Big dreams

Does anyone know of a good place that installs sonar units?  I just purchased a Lowrance HDS unit and am concerned I may screw something up.  Thanks!

Baybass

Depends on your location, If in the Saginaw/Bay City area, I would say either Bay Outboard on Bay Road or Lindys on 25.  If close to Mt. Pleasent I would say Central MS. any marina should be able to handle that for you. 

Big dreams

I live North of Midland out by Hope.  Does Strykers Marina install them?  Also, I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have used the US2 feature on Minn Kota trolling motors.  I am thinking about grabbing one but I am unsure if the detail output of the US2 is equivalent or worse than the stock transducer.  The $100 price difference between the US2 model and the plain model makes me think twice...  Any thoughts?

SethV

Quote from: Big dreams on February 02, 2010, 06:39:24 PM
Does anyone know of a good place that installs sonar units?  I just purchased a Lowrance HDS unit and am concerned I may screw something up.  Thanks!

It is not that hard if you take your time.  I would be really careful taking it somewhere for the install.  I know of several cases from dealers in my area that were really sloppy installs.  Looked like some $7 / hr kid just slapped it in - GPS mounted with poor hardware, antenna in bad location, poor wire routing.  Ask them about how they plan to do the install and look at boats on site that they rigged (not the factory).

Too bad you are not closer to Wixom, I like installing them for fun. 

SethV

Quote from: Big dreams on February 03, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
I live North of Midland out by Hope.  Does Strykers Marina install them?  Also, I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have used the US2 feature on Minn Kota trolling motors.  I am thinking about grabbing one but I am unsure if the detail output of the US2 is equivalent or worse than the stock transducer.  The $100 price difference between the US2 model and the plain model makes me think twice...  Any thoughts?

US2 is the same transducer - I can't tell a difference between the "stock" lowrance and the US2.  Works great for video fishing.  Nice thing is that you can't knock it off or pinch a wire.

Big dreams

Are you located by Wixom, MI or Wixom Lake?  I thought about doing it myself but I wasn't sure what all it entails.  I just do not want to mess anything up...

Big dreams

Also I was wondering if anyone has ever taken their shoot through transducer and mounted it on their trolling motor?

BryanP

Big Dreams, for someone who's so against buying foreign made product, you sure had no problem replacing a USA made brand with one made in Mexico  ;D

t-bone

Quote from: SethV link=topic=6033.msg50246#msg50246

It is not that hard if you take your time.  I would be really careful taking it somewhere for the install.  I know of several cases from dealers in my area that were really sloppy installs.  Looked like some $7 / hr kid just slapped it in - GPS mounted with poor hardware, antenna in bad location, poor wire routing.  Ask them about how they plan to do the install and look at boats on site that they rigged (not the factory).

Too bad you are not closer to Wixom, I like installing them for fun.  

I'm going to probably pick one up in mid March, I'll take Seth up on the installation!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

SethV

Quote from: Big dreams on February 05, 2010, 07:43:29 PM
Are you located by Wixom, MI or Wixom Lake?  I thought about doing it myself but I wasn't sure what all it entails.  I just do not want to mess anything up...

Wixom, MI.

Big dreams

Quote from: BryanP on February 12, 2010, 12:08:47 PM
Big Dreams, for someone who's so against buying foreign made product, you sure had no problem replacing a USA made brand with one made in Mexico  ;D
Until I read this, I had no idea.  I had to check on the box to make sure you are right...and you are.  You know, right after I purchased it I had a bad feeling.  I had one really bad experience with Hummingbird and chose to go with another company.  You got me!  Not that is my defense but...Mexico is a lot better than China.

BryanP

???Mexico is no different than China!

How long ago did you have that bad experience?  Humminbird is now owned by Johnson Outdoors (since 2004), the same parent company that owns Minn Kota.  A lot has changed over there since the pre-Johnson Outdoors days.  One thing that hasn't changed is the fact that they're still built in Eufaula, AL. ;D

Big dreams

It was last summer when I had the bad experience.  They charged $130 to fix an old unit I had.  When I got it back, the depth function did not work.  I am able to view the bottom contour but that is it.  It will go from 20 feet deep to 999 feet deep.  Sure I could spend another $25 for shipping but it should have been fixed the first time for that price.  The unit isn't even worth that. 

BryanP

That Wide Paramount is an oldie, at least 15 years old.  If it were me I probably would've spent the $130 toward a new unit. Lots of improvements in technology and performance since then, regardless what brand you went with.  Did you try contacting their customer service again to see if they would work anything out with you?

Eric

Big Dreams,

I don't care what you bought or where it was built, I will help you install it if you choose.  I live by Lakeview though, which isn't exactly in the Wixom Lake neighborhod.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Big dreams

Quote from: BryanP on February 13, 2010, 01:57:34 PM
That Wide Paramount is an oldie, at least 15 years old.  If it were me I probably would've spent the $130 toward a new unit. Lots of improvements in technology and performance since then, regardless what brand you went with.  Did you try contacting their customer service again to see if they would work anything out with you?
I did not contact their customer service after that incident.  I probably should have but I haven't yet.  The unit is old like you said but since I was just getting into bass fishing last year, I didn't know much about the sonar units.  Live and learn right?  A friend of mine is asking me about my Lowrance and I keep telling him to stick with Hummingbird.  After the law suit and what not, Hummingbird is the way to go.  Plus they are cheaper for the side imaging.

Big dreams

Quote from: Eric on February 13, 2010, 08:42:53 PM
Big Dreams,

I don't care what you bought or where it was built, I will help you install it if you choose.  I live by Lakeview though, which isn't exactly in the Wixom Lake neighborhod.
Eric,
Is Lakeview down by Michigan City?

Eric

No.  I am about half way between Big Rapids and Mt Pleasant, then south about 7 miles or so.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Big dreams

Eric,
I might take you up on your offer.  Can I let you know once I get the boat out of storage?