Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 11:32:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bleeding Hydraulic Steering Lines in a Basscat

Started by Dan, June 29, 2009, 06:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Anybody have any tips on bleeding the air out of the hydraulic steering on my Basscat Jag?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

Dan, what kind of power steering unit is it...Seastar?
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Potter

Go to the BCB web site (owners board).  You will get information.

Potter

thedude

i just did it on my seastar...  you need to borrow cy's little brake-bleeder contraption.  ;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Dan

Yep, it's a seastar. I talked to a mechanic who told me to try to bleed it myself first just by adding the fluid and turning the wheel back and forth. He had a contraption he used. Look like a lower unit pump but in reverse. He would screw the connector on and then fill the plastic bottle that was cut in half with hydraulic fluid and then work the wheel back and forth. Tomorrow I plan on looking at the orifice to see if I can find a connector and make my own little deal. Is that what you have done Cy?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

The thing thedude is talking about is called a hand vacuum pump.  You need to attach and bottle of Seastar oil to the unit at the helm and attach the pump to directly to the bleeder and pump out the fluid and any air bubbles.  This is the quickest way to bleed the system and you can do it by yourself.

The other option to bleed it you will need a helper. 
1.  Connect the oil bottle to the helm with supplied hose and connectors.  Hold the oil bottle upside down and punch a hole in the bottom of the bottle so air can replace the oil as it goes in.
2.  Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or clockwise until the motor is as far it will turn.
3.  Attach a hose to the right side bleeder and open it.
4.  Hold the outboard in place and crank the wheel counter clockwise, oil will pump out of the bleeder along with air bubbles.  Make sure the oil comes out in a solid stream with out air pockets.
5.  With the wheel still turning and oil flowing close the bleeder.
6.  Turn the wheel counter clockwise so the motor is all the way left.
7.  Attach a hose to the left side bleeder and open it.
8.  Hold the outboard in place and turn the wheel clockwise and pump out all of the air and oil again.
9.  Once the oil runs in a solid stream, keep turning the wheel and close the bleeder.
10.  At this point the system should be bled and ready to go.

During the entire process make sure the oil going into the helm pump stays full, do not let the supply run dry!  The hose on the bleeder will allow you to bleed into a clean container and reuse the oil.

Make sure you use Seastar oil too.

I think the instructions are complete and you should be all set.

Dan if you want help give me a call or shoot me an email or PM.  I am in GR tonight at home or I will be leaving for Newaygo tomorrow and be there all weekend and my vacuum pump in in Newaygo.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

Dan - i found that a male-to-male air fitting (1/2" i think) like you use on standard aircompressor attachments fit the threads. I took a funnel and screwed it into one end of the fitting and then screwed the whole thing into the helm.

you can borrow it if you want.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Dan

Thanks, I talked to Cy and he's going to mentor me through the process a day next week. I do appreciate you getting back with me and your generous offers of time and tools.