Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BBdN Fish Camp III

Started by Slipkey, June 09, 2013, 01:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipkey

Just got back from our annual fish camp on Bay de Noc.  Dad lives in Minnesota and I'm in Grand Rapids so it's a decent midpoint for both of us - plus the scenery is gorgeous.  We camp at Fayette State Park and, this early in the season, basically had the place to ourself.  The downside - the big fish fly hatch was late this year and we caught it full on.

Pa's a walleye guy but they weren't really on and the smallies were (no complaints from me!).   Caught a lot of fish over the week.  Most were in the 2-3 lb. range with a fair number of 4's and a few 5's mixed in. Surface temps on the bay were in the high 50's.

The best action came off of Porcupine Point with Stony Point as a decent back up.  South River Bay was also on but, as usual, was mostly dinks with a few 3's in the bunch to spice things up.  We spent two days exploring new water.  Launching out of Fairport, the water temps were in the high 40's and we didn't get a bite except for a few fish around the Marina.  Launching out of Ogontz on day two, we found a few scattered fish in Martin and Sand Bays. I wouldn't recommend the Ogontz River launch for anyone with a boat over 16 ft.  We had to skim with the trolling motor to get out with an east wind and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it back it in if the wind had gone to the west.

All in all, another great year on Big Bay! :)

Mcfish

Great report and pics.  Thanks for sharing.  I love to eat walleye, but like you, I'll take the brownies any day.

Treasure those trips with your dad.  I'd do almost anything to spend a day on the water with my old man.

Slipkey

Quote from: Mcfish on June 09, 2013, 06:34:28 AM
Treasure those trips with your dad.  I'd do almost anything to spend a day on the water with my old man.
I hear you. Lost Mom to cancer a couple years ago.  Made me look at priorities and place extra on the time I have left with my Dad.

djkimmel

I love a great fishing report! I really love stories about getting the true important things in life in the right order!

I also enjoy exploring more remote parts of the Great Lakes and other strange, new bodies of water. Probably what I enjoyed most back in my old tournament travelin' days. You've got a win, win, win fishing report there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.