Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:10:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the dumbest thing you've bought?

Started by Revtro, March 22, 2006, 09:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You fell for it... what was the dumbest fishing lure you bought?

Banjo Minnow
Zip Lure (Blinking baits)
Helocopter Lure
Chuck Woolery Moto Minno
Bionic Minnow
The Walking Worm
Other
The Flying Lure

Revtro

Ok, I'll start right off by admitting my darkest secrets...  I bought the Banjo Minnow Kit about 10 years ago.  And someone bought me a Helocopter Lure Kit 6 or 7 years ago and I fished it a bunch and never caught a fish on those stupid looking things. 

Gull-a-bull.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

Helicopter Lures
Flying Lures
Banjo Minnow
And something called the Dragon that i bought from a guy at the old Fishing Show they had at the Palace years ago.  I think i was 14.  I think it was an early version of todays chatterbait.  But i never caught anything on it.  And still it was my favorite lure at the time.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

blakstr1

i have been fortunate enough to receive the revolutionary helicopter lure this past Christmas from my daughter  :(.  so according to her i will be winning with that this year  :(  looking forward to adding it in as a go to bait  :(  better than a new tie  :(  why am i frowning  :(  kids you gotta love 'em.. :D
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

smbassman

Yep, I got the helicopter lure kit as a gift from a very proud Aunt a few years ago.  It was tough to hold back the laughter but I managed. 

My worst purchases were baitcasters when I had an extrememly limited budget.  I learned real fast that you can get by with a $20 spinning reel, but a $40 baitcaster is a huge waste of money.  Man was I disappointed after saving up twice as much as I normally spent on my spinning reels, to get a reel "to fish like the pros."  Only to get non-stop backlashes, inconsistent breaking control, screaming bearings(or most likely bushings) and 30ft maximum casts with 1/2oz lures.

bosshawg

i had to put other, the dancin' eel.....other than that, never was a 'gimmick' buyer of lures. i did have a friend that gave me some flyin' lures the larger ones. kinda worked cool for under docks. same guy uses the banjo hook-up w/a frog for slop fishin', does catch fish.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Revtro

Now that I think of it a friend of mine gave me a flying lure kit about 10 years or so ago.  I'll have to add that one to the list.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Dance's Eel - but I actually caught 1 or 2 bass on it so long ago, I can barely remember any details. I still have a few Flying Lures somewhere, but I did buy them in a grab bag or bargain bin somewhere.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

Bill Dance was the main drive behind most bait purchases in my younger years.  I bought the eel, another snake imitator, the strike king Pork-O, etc... Every saturday morning I added another gotta have bait to the list in the quest to catch nothing but 4+ pound largemouths every other cast.  It took me about 4 years of this to realize he was fishing the same lakes every week and then realized they were stock ponds.

Revtro

I see noone wants to admit to the Zip Lure...
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cheetam

Other...I can't think of the name of it, but it was a minnow bait that vibrated every second or two to simulate a struggling minnow.  It was a joke...
Jeff

MBell

I bought the banjo minnow after about the 100th time I saw the infomercial.  I actually caught a lot of fish on them in the spring, but $40 for soft plastic jerkbaits, don't think so.  Sold the what I had left on ebay a few years back.  Someone actually bought them!!
-Matt

kgr624

ALRIGHT!!!! You got me I always try out those stupid thing because of one reason the BANJO's
DO WORK!!!!!!!!!! I have actually caught some of my biggest fish on those things. I have used them in recent years and so they do work but those darn zip lures are the biggest waste of money and time I have ever seen. So there is my stupid things I have bought. I also got these swimming fish they kinda look like lucky crafts but not as good. BUT yeah sucker for those gemics.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

stackenem

I have several of the Joe Camel crankbaits and have yet to catch a fish on one.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

yukonjack2

I bought a budweiser topwater plug that lights up and flashes every few seconds - it was more of a joke at the time ,but on those slow days.....hmmmm - never caught anything on it before getting hung up in a brush pile someplace in ky lake - if anyof you see it this may, remember where you heard about it.

Also bought a pocket fisherman for my golf bag many years ago - caught alot of barely keepers, but no hawgs on it.   Boy, I am not sure what ever happened to it, but for what they are going for these days, wish I had it back.  Ron popeil - my hero!

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

bosshawg

i have a john deere spinnerbait & rattletrap that i still use. something abt that john deere green for cloudy overcast days. picked those up at their sovenoir shop when i was doing a job at their factory many years ago.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

djkimmel

Anybody ever use the 'Cobra' crankbait the had a big cobra head on one end and smaller tail on the other? You could hook your line to either end for a medium diver or shallow diver...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishon1219

I never bought any of the mentioned baits, but there is one spinnerbait that i bought that the lead head on it was formed in the shape of a, well let me say it is the shape of a portion of the male anatomy. It was painted pink on the tip. I caught alot of bass on it mostly females. I got alot of smiles when people would ask what i caught those fish on.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

a couple more came to mind last night.

How about the topwater frog that 'croaked' when it was in the water.  Remember, it had the two little metal sensors on the bottom and would activate when it was wet?  I never actually caught anything on this little treat.  But one night while fishing on Duck Lake in Highland, MI i had a massive blowup on it.  It was pitch black and i could barely see the lure when all of a sudden a fish exploded on it.  I missed the fish.  Figures.

And how about the Culprit Sticky Worm?  A 6" ribbon tail worm with a small patch of velcro fused into the bottom.  I caught a ton of fish on that one.  Purple and Red shad were the colors.  I bet i still have some of those in my parents garage.

Anyone remember the name of the snake bait that had the rattle chamber in the tail.  It came with small ball shapped rattles.  That was another one i used quite a bit when i was a kid. 

Man, this is a great thread.  Bringing back so many memories.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

fiker

I never bought the banjo minnow, but Babe Winkelman swears by em..
Why I've seen videos of him catching Pike in Canada with them.

I borrowed one once and caught a couple of Bass on it.

But, the one I did purchase was the Flying Lure.  I bought into the whole infomercial thing, and bought the kit.

I'm glad somebody mentioned these, because I'll be bringing these to the swap meet.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390