Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tippy Dam Backwaters

Started by new2fish, April 16, 2009, 06:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2fish

Hello everybody.This is a great site.Every year my friends and i go camping to Michigan, this year I would like to go to Tippy dam.Anybody can give me some info on this Backwaters?I am taking a 16 ft fbgls boat.Most of the guys don't fish but i do.We like to camp on the water,maybe for night fishing.The trip is the first week of June.Or any other suggestions??? Thank you...new2fish

Dan

I've fished Tippy often and there are good walleye and smallmouth bass to be caught. It can be very tough fishing at times when the weather gets warm. If you are there the first week of June it will probably be just prespawn or some may be up on beds. Tippy is always a good evening topwater bite. Fish around the islands and pounding the shoreline can  be good at times. Knowing what I now know about dropshotting I'd bet you can get some of those tough fish deeper on a drop shot. I have done well there jerking rapalas fishing them like a jeckbait. A good spot is where the two rivers come together. Just upriver before the river bends fish the slot between that last island and the shore. Fishing the Manistee River for smallies below the dam is also very good.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

new2fish

Thank you for your reply.Mainly 99.9% I practice c&r.If anybody got some other suggestions where to camp and fish on the water ,would be highly appreciate it.. I from NWI ..Love Michigan..
Thanks again>

canvsbk

I've fished Lake Manapine a ton over the years. You'll find it clear and deep with alot of vertical wood. Once in their summer pattern the fish suspend all over, generally relating to the vertical wood that still stands. It has better than average walleye fishing, some giant pike and decent smallmouth. Try casting crankbaits in shad colors to those suspended fish. Good luck.
Look past what they want you to see.

new2fish

Thanks for the info..Is Manapine same is Tippy dam backwaters???

canvsbk

Look past what they want you to see.

River Walker

Wonder how old Jeff is doing up there at Mana-Pine,been awhile since I stayed there.Yes,smallmouth fishing can be fantastic there,but it also has very good fishing for largemouth also.Don't know how many dozens of nice green bass I've caught in the little weedy cove right out in front of Mana-Pine,along with pike,crappie and hordes of rock bass,and that's without even leaving the docks! One of the best spots I've ever fished on that lake is the island straight across the lake from Mana-Pine,there's a small channel that runs between the island and the mainland on the back side of the island that is literally full of smallies.Any of the countless points that jut out into the mainlake(especially if the bottom on these points is pea-gravel)will be productive for bass,on the points,can't beat a Lucky Craft Pointer 78SP in Aurora Black.Down on the Pine River arm,a couple of the weedy coves always produce a bunch of both smallies and green bass on black?w red flake Senko's,fish near the old Mattson's place down that way.As far as the walleye,if you know where to go,it's not usually too difficult to bag a limit,especially if you night fish.Same gravelly points,go with either a 1/8oz. or 1/4oz. Northland Fireball jig tipped with half a crawler.If you want to rough it,get a camping permit,and stay somewhere right on the lake,or just stay at Mana-Pine,best cabin prices in that area,they also have a tent camping area.If you really want to learn the lake well,they do have a guide service.

River Walker

BTW,I was staying up there a couple of years ago when Jeff caught a walleye over 10lbs. pretty close to the docks,he is always willing to tell you the hotspots.About right now with the bass season getting close,and of course shroom' season starting up,I really wish that place wasn't an 8-hour drive away >:(!

new2fish

Thanks Rw.
We are planing to camp on Gov Islnd or near the water so  we can soak some rods at night with campfire and beer.Can I get the permit up there ??Out of 6-7 guys only 2 is hardcore fisherman incl myself..only 4 hr drive for us.Thanks again...

River Walker

Yeah,if I remember correctly,there was a ranger station a couple miles east of Wellston on M-55 that had the camping permits for Tippy.I wish I was going with you,I love that lake.If you're going to be soaking worms at night,that lake is loaded with big channel cats.I would always hook into them when I was walleye fishing there.I live kinda right between Cleveland and Columbus,and with my work schedule presently,it may be rough venturing that far north for awhile.

new2fish

I can not wait till we go,I will post some pictures.
Happy fishing.Thanks.

Dan

I am assuming that you stop at Dublin General Store    http://www.dublinstore.com/   for jerky before you get to Tippy right? I have a cabin about 10 miles from Tippy. If you have never been to Dublin it's a must!!! It's only a few miles from Tippy.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

chrisvmo

are the waters of tippy plent navagatable for a 19 ft. Ranger. I have a cabin in Irons and really haven't considered fishing here. and yesif your in the area you have to stop at the Dublin general store.

River Walker

Yes,but you have to be careful,there's thousands of stumps an inch or two below the surface.Very few are marked,maybe none by now.Most seem to be on the Manistee arm,but there's still enough on the Pine to keep you on your toes.

chrisvmo

so be careful in the river arms? how is the pond? plenty deap or are there alot of dead heads there too?

River Walker

The main lake from Tippy Dam up to where the two arms come together is a whole lot easier to navigate than either arm is.There still is a deadhead here and there,but nothing like the arms.

spinninbug

This is my all time favorite body of water to be on,  it's peaceful and beautiful.  Sometimes the fishing is great sometimes not so great,  either way I love just being there. 

And you can run as long as you stay in the middle and don't try to run up in the coves or the rivers.  Just take it easy until you learn it a little better.  If your cautious you shouldn't have any problems. 

Go and enjoy it,  you won't be sorry!
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

chrisvmo

thanks for all the help. Can't wait to give it a try

new2fish

We are  going up there Thursday morning. 6 guys canceled on us.The weather is going to be cool, but who cares.I hope the fishing will be good. By the way .. do i have to worry  about bears up there??

new2fish

Dan

I always put in on the Pine River end at that public launch with the scary steep hill coming down to the ramp. They have improved that ramp and even though the cement ramp is steep it's a good ramp. Pound the bank and skip stuff up under the trees. as you head toward the confluence of the Pine and the Manistee you head left to the dam and right to go up river. If you go up river you need to watch your depth finder and stay in the river channel. It swings here and there. There are plenty of things to hit if you don't. Even in the main bodies if there has been any significant rain you can happen on floating logs so whenever you fish an impoundment you have to be ultra careful. I have my best luck early and late. It's a fun place to go for an evening topwater bite. From the confluence to the first bend at Swimmers Point it's pretty good fishing and you can find some weed beds along what I would call the northwest side. I have done well jerking a number seven rapala there. I'm sure the standard fare of lures for smallies will do you well. Very few largemouth to be had. Good panfishing. Eagles nest up the Manistee if you keep a good eye out for them they are fun to watch. Probably early for the chicks to be flying, but when they do you'll hear them. I have a cabin south of Tippy about 10 miles and I have been seeing more and more bears. I would be careful with trash and food. I assume you have been up that way before, but if you haven't make sure you stop at Dublin General Store. You won't believe their jerky counter. Also, if you have canoes, float from the dam west on the Manistee can be some terrific smallmouth fishing.