Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

rod for texas rig

Started by play for keeps, March 31, 2009, 03:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldjigger

Another brand is B&R Outlaw great sesitvity and guarantee.  They sell for $130 and lifetime warranty for $50 replacement no ? asked.  Call Bill Ferris at 616 902 2888 if interested.  I've had gloomis and several rods but I now like these the best

Dick Courser

Lightningboy

OK, y'all are missing a real sleeper.

Rogue MB 764, blank $105.  With a split grip, fuji ECM seat, no foregrip, and revolve the guides.  Alconite single foot fly's, two 8's twelve inches apart with a 6 between to get under the blank, then 6's all the way up.  Kistler style hook keeper 3 inches up from the seat.

Mine done like this weighs in at 5.3 oz.  With a Scorpion 1001 on top, the total rig comes in at 13 oz.  Balance point is 2.5 inches in front of the seat.  The sensitivity is awesome, and I've never felt underpowered in anything but the heaviest cover.  I mainly use it for texas rigs & light to medium jigs.  It's got enough back bone for a good eye cross, but enough flex that fish stay buttoned.

I've done 5 rods on Rogue blanks, and I'm very impressed.  In fact, I've got to order a BB 796 for swimbaits soon.

Dude should be able to roll that for pretty near the $150 mark; trust me, you will not be disapointed.   8)

thedude

LB - i'm actually using a double foot 6, single 5, single 4 and then single 3s for my spiral wraps now. Micro guides are the bomb! Light and cheap. i just setup a pitching rod and testing it out - i can't tell any performance degradation with the tiny guides.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Lightningboy

What are you using for your tip tops?  I haven't seen or read much real info on the micros; but I've heard you need to split the top to get them on most bass blanks.

I'm all for as light as possible, especially removing forward weight.  The only time I think I might like to stay a little larger (6) is to throw braid with a fluoro leader.  Need a little room for that knot.

I'm interested in hearing more on your use of the micros.

thedude

batson makes micro tips on up to a 5.5 tube which covers a pretty good range of blanks. Once you get into heavier blanks with thicker tips, i use a standard alconite tip with a 6 ring (smallest ring to fit the tube) - i have no doubts the micros will hold up as good as a 6 fly guide, but i'm more comfortable with an in-tact tip in heavy-duty scenarios.

i'm a bit leary on the knot issue and the micros also - but even the sz 3s look like they would pass a knot ok on smaller diameter lines (like 12 and under).

can't beat the price and weight... i had a bag of 72 size 3s and i bet it didn't weigh 1/16th of an oz
Palehorse Custom Rods

thedude

i ran a test this morning, and the size 3s will have issues passing a uni-to-uni knot between two lines of 15lb mono. Thats a pretty big knot however. I typically either fish full braid or full mono on my casting gear... on some of my spinning gear i do use light braid with 6 or 8lb floro leaders.. i'm going to test those out tonight, i think they will pass fine though.
Palehorse Custom Rods

MadWags

Contact me this weekend. I am in Rhode Island working the last show of the year. This is a salt water show. If you order your rod this weekend during the show it will cost you $99.00 - $109.00
Send me a message with a daytime contact for Saturday or Sunday and I will call you.

We have been doing this 26 years, make rods for 68 companies and take a World Class display on the road with the Largest IN STOCK selection in the World.  We can and do sell alot of rods with custom features and we know how to do these. But if a person thinks that we cant or don't make rods with simple wraps they are just dodging the facts. Grandt has done this as a full time successful business for 26 years.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

McCarter

shame on me for not remember to mention Grandt as another suggestion.  They are still offering show prices which is huge, and they are a board sponsor.  I would talk to Wags before making any final decisions Monzo.  They have a lot to offer and you can get a discount if you hurry!

McCarter himself :-\'

djkimmel

Waterfoul is always fully observant... maybe he's actually attracted to the fancy wraps and doesn't know it? Grandt makes plain wraps and custom wraps both. It all depends on what the customer wants. They have a large variety in style, look, action and types of fishing rods.

All I will keep asking is that if you enjoy this web site, please always remember to consider the companies that make this site possible. With Grandt and help from MadWags and others, you can save quite a bit of money and keep that price sometimes if you buy at show prices. The prices I mentioned are standard prices if you buy outside of their shows. I truly appreciate that they are willing to extend that pricing to members during these shows. Save $40 to $60 per rod! I have 4 now and they are excellent rods.

I know we bass anglers are all pretty particular about our brands, but I also know we can suddenly and completely shift our allegiance to a new company brand after a long time of saying I only use 'brand x.' See it happen all the time. So I know we have it in us to consider any brand that makes a great quality product at a good price. Thank you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

that is a great deal from Grandt and definitely worth a looksee  ;)
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Now I didn't say Grandt didn't make a good rod... it's just that all the ones I've looked at at the shows had too much wrap on them for me.  I'm sure their rods are top notch, especially for the money they ask for them (they offer a good deal to members of this website!).  But since I started selling rods that I really like I've been buying most of my rods the last two years from myself (employee discounts are such wonderful things!).  I Didn't mean anything bad by my earlier comment. 

Thedude is building me a rod that I won during the COTM season or I would probably have replaced the shakey head rod I lost overboard with one from my store.  That and I like giving business to local guys/businesses and it doesn't get a lot more local than Thedude!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

To me... 'fluff' on a fishing rod would be something like those fuzzy dice you see hanging from rear view mirrors, etc. :D

I do agree that I would not expect to see fuzzy dice hanging from your rear view mirror. ;D

Grandt does have quite a few rods that don't have the extra fancy wrap. I saw them. Some people do like those decorative wraps though. When I built rods way, way back, we were taught how to do some tricky wraps because some people do really like them and pay extra. Unfortunately, I'm not very artistic.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

And please don't forget that you only have to buy the American made Grandt Rod one time, as it has an UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY. This means if it is broken in any way accidental or otherwise it is covered. It will only cost you $25.00 for the shipping and handling charge of the rod returned to you FedEx insured in a tube. I always save the tubes as they come in handy when I have to send in a rod. I have personally used the warranty 6 times and figure I have saved around $1,200.00 if I was to replace the rods. Also since we are the manufacturer, if you desire to have a rod built your way we can do this, but encourage you to try our rods they way they are as they are built to last and endure the rigors of tournament fishing. OUr rods are used by many well known anglers in all species.
Thank you for considering Grandt Rods. I look forward to personally serving your needs. I you would like me to come to one of your club meetings and demonstrate some rods. let me know.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

bigjc

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned the Kistler Magnesium Series which is a great rod and a bargain in the $150 range.  For TX riggin' I use the Kistler Mag. TX in 6'9" MH or for a bit heavier application the 7' Heavy is a sweet rod.

Check them out at Kistlerrods.com