Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Am I the Only one?

Started by skeeterman190, March 12, 2009, 09:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

Alright i guess this is just a post to blow off some steam. Am i the only one that is getting sick and tired of hearing about all these expensive baits that we gotta have to catch fish?? I mean our economy is in enough trouble and then our best fishing lures come from Japan?? for $15+ a bait?? I caught fish on jerkbaits just fine before Lucky Craft and Jackall. Smithwick baby!-skeeterman- yeah ive got them but quit pushing it down my throat!
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

DennisB.

I gave up on Lucky Craft, Megabass and the likes a few years back. I throw more Bombers and Bandits than anything else, If I need a fancy color I make it myself. One of the best colors I have seen on my local lake is Bandits "mad cow". It closely mimics baby crappie and it works awsome right after they start spawning.

I have enough expenses and feel I catch more fish with these then anything else.

TCook

The constant sales pitch does get very old from guys who are sponsered by those companies. Although i do beleive it is all personal preference when one decides what brand to buy. I myself have only been in this sport for a couple years and bought all my tackle in a very short time.  I researched and took the advice from accomplished anglers that recammended certain baits who are not affiliated with those companies. My time on the water is limited being a non boater and it would take way to long to figure it all out on my own so I wanted a good starting point. The more time I spend on the water the more baits I gain confidence in and have a better understanding for what baits and brands I prefer over others, and some of those baits are the more expensive ones and some are not.

T
FISH HARD!!!

skeeterman190

I catch 90% of my fish on 2 baits and both are hand made. I make my own jigs and fish Nemesis stik baits. and if u think im lying ask a few that fish with me.. its the truth. so other then the ocassional topwater and jerkbait fish i think im set.-skeeterman to each his own i guess
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Rocknfish

Skeeter-I absolutley feel ya...a guy could get seriously confused as to what to use and what is out there.Most of what I know about bass fishing is derived from simply watching them over my 35yrs and observing their behavior.I think alot of us out think and out smart ourselves in trying to "keep up with the Jones's".I,like you,only need a few different baits.It's truly how you rig them to suit the style you are fishing and adapting to the weather.As much as I love catching em on topwater(who doesnt),I love a vicious jerkbait strike and a slam of a jig-n-pig...aahhh...cant wait.Throw in the occasional tube and crank bait and keep it simple.When river fishing for smallies,all's I need are some New-do's or Super-do's and a buzzbait.period.My personal best...and ONLY St.Clair smallie was caught last September on a Rapala X-Rap...7.2 lbs and 22.75".not bad eh?Yozuri mirror minow and any version of the X-Rap are the only jerkbaits I really throw.
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

Cheetam

I'm torn on this one.  I love RC 1.5s and Pointers.  But, I have only bought them when they are on sale.  I don't think buying "high-end" tackle is any different than buying "high-end" rods, reels, sunglasses, boats, etc.  If buying a $15 off-the-shelf bait, $250+ dollar rod, $200+ reel, or $30,000+ boat makes you a more confident fisherman then I don't see a problem with it.  That being said, I think I have caught just as many fish on Minus 1s, Rogues, Rapalas, Bandits, etc. 
Jeff

matt

What other people buy,for me makes no difference.If you can afford it,go for it.

Me personally,I'll stick with what i can afford and works for me.

Rapala is half the price and probably better if not just as good. They come out with so many new baits too.I buy my jigs from http://www.custombassfishinglures.com/ He's all i use and buy now.

I'm just out there to have fun and catch a few.

I'll agree though the advertising is almost too much.Like anything,everybody tries to claim to be the best.

Fishmael

I agree with your point.  But with the big $ per bait, they need to make them seem like the best or no one will buy them.  And with the big $, they have more for marketing funds.  I am sure they have a higher profit margin, so they don't have to sell as many.  So, if they get some to buy them, the marketing worked I guess.

TCook

Last winter I went on a LC buying craze and the following season I tried all the different baits. This winter I knew what baits were worth the money and sold the baits that were not to replace with cheaper ones that catch just as many fish. I mostly only kept my pointers, RC 1.5 and 2.5's, sammy 115 and 100's, S8 poppers, and a few D12 and D20's and sold the rest. The only other expensive baits I own are a few ito 110's and C-flash cranks that I bought this winter to try in 09'. If they dont outproduce the cheaper brands this year I will sell them next winter.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Lightningboy

I buy whatever works.  Doesn't matter if its cheap or expensive, my bottom line is it must work for me.

More importantly, they must all work.  I like Normans, but only 2 out of 10 are real fish catchers.  I find less "duds" among the high end baits.  But I use a handful of everything, from Bandits to Megabass.

I have limited storage space & time to throw baits.  I only want what I know works;  don't care if it's $2.50 or $25.00 each.

McCarter

dont buy any tackle.  make your own out of pipe cleaners and pine cones.  you will save a lot of money.

spinninbug

We don't have one lucky craft in our boat, we throw Rapala x raps,  and besides that it doesn't hurt as bad when a toothy critter bites you off.... :o
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

TritonTR20

Most baits are designed to catch fisherman more than fish. When was the last time a fish spent $20 for a bait? Some people say the number of fish you catch is a direct inverse to the number of baits in your boat. The more the baits... the less fish caught. I have seen this in some cases where the angler spends so much of their time changing baits and changing colors and making less casts. Divide the season into 6 water temperature ranges and concentrate on the lures that work at those tempratures.

River Walker

I'm like the other guy,the cost of the lure doesn't matter.I would pay $50.00 for a lure if it was a consistent producer,or the same thing if the lure cost $2.50.I have an impressive collection of Lucky Craft baits,and other than the pointer series,I think other,less pricey baits are just as good.I actually prefer Bandits and Strike King crankbaits over any of the Lucky Craft models.However,I believe the pointers are far superior to any other brands including X-Raps.Rapala DT's are nice lures,even though the diving lips break off if a bass even looks at them-lol.I think everybody agrees all bassin' gear is a personal thing,what one guy prefers,another guy doesn't and so on.Just like bass boats,the best one is the one you own.

BigSmallie

I must be doing something wrong with my LC's.......lol.     

I've caught approx. 90% of my fish on Bombers & X-Raps than on the "famed Lucky Craft".      Plus.....I have found them to be anoying when trying to move the boat while throwing a jerk bait...they move way too slow through the water....where the X-Raps and Bombers come through the water quicker.   Same thing with a Sammy!   If the boat is not completely still.......the bait will not work properly.....but if I'm throwing a Spook.....I can keep the boat moving and make the bait walk.

I can't believe I'm the only one that has this problem with these expensive baits...........as I've checked these baits in different conditions and on different lakes...no change.....they don't like to work while you're on the move.

If anyone is looking for just a hand full of LC's........let me know.....I'll drastically discount them.   

In my opinion...1) They are not worth the money.  2) Other baits out fish them too often.

JMHO

BS  ;)

"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Got Fish??

Brads Wigglers work just fine for me. Thay look just like the old wiggelwarts, and come in all the old storm colors. Thay are nice on the pocketbook and hold out just fine. You can get them at lakeside tackel, Franks tackle or on line. Thay are my hot pond goto bait.

dashaver63

Bomber fat free shad are my crankbaits of choice in the citrus shad color. I also throw the Rapala X-Rap. I don't think I would pay $15.00 and up for a crankbait even if I could. I'm going to check out the Strike King crankbaits this year Just for a crank bait with a wider wobble, I like Bomber but I don't like the shape of the diving lip on their round cranks. Lipless baits, I use the Koppers and Strike King Red Eye Shad. I also like the Spro baits.

yukonjack2

Big Smallie:

I have not had the issues your speak of with the pointers.  I'll take the ones you have, just IM me and we'll work out the details. 

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

TCook

Big Smallie, Ill trade you a few x-raps for some pointers?
FISH HARD!!!

Cy

I fish with what works for me regardless of price.  I don't feel like I have to run out and buy the latest expensive bait but if I like it I will try one or two.  If they work I will always have one or four with me.  ;) 

However, I have found that the more expensive crank baits, run true out of the package and stay true longer then other baits.  I like Strike King cranks but they normally need to be tuned out of the box and re-tuned regularly.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net