Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Marine Deep Cycle Cranking Batteries

Started by Skulley, March 07, 2009, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

I am about to buy a new cranking battery for my boat.  I have been doing some research.  I have owned Delco Voyager and the Complete Battery Source Battery.  The Voyager was a dry cell maintenance free.  Got 4 good years out of that battery.  The Complete Battery Source battery was nothing but hassle.  I replaced it three times in the last 2 years.  It is a wet cell and has to be replenished with distilled water every so often. 

I have been looking at the Exide Nautilus Battery.  Optima is out of my price range although I don't think there is one better.  I hear that one that Cabela's sells is every bit as good.  I am trying to stay under $100.  I also do realize you get what you pay for.  I hope to get three to four good years out of this next one.

Aside from cranking the engine, this battery will run all my accessories.  That means ship to shore radio, fishfinders, GPS, bilge pump, aerators, etc. 

My questions are:
What do you own?
Are you satisfied?
Would you buy it again?

Any other input would be appreciated including opinions and preferences.  All input is helpful.  Thanks.

BD                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Cy

I running an Everstart from Wal Mart for my starting battery.  I was out of town, fishing a tournament and needed a battery.  The Wal Mart was the first place I saw.  I went with a group 24 and changed the battery tray to fit it.  I have been very happy with that battery over all and it was like $70 or $80 bucks.  I put my battery charger on it a couple times a year to keep it topped off.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Bender

Mine is shot too. I thought about getting another Cabelas AGM to match the TM batteries, but money is too tight right now. Those were $190 each but are great batteries if your budget opens up BigDog.
Thanks for the tip Cy, maybe I will try one of those.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

fiker

I"ve been using the Everstart batteries for both TM and Cranking.  I"ve been happy with both. 
Like Cy, I top off my cranking battery every once in awhile with a charge.  Other than that, they are maintenance free.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dashaver63

I just replaced both Everstarts in my boat, they lasted 4 years. $150.00 for both, never had a problem with them.

Cy

I have to replace both of the deep cycle trolling motor batteries this spring.  I have been doing my homework on batteries all winter.  I would love to go gel or AGM but the cost is so high.  I'm going to check CostCo and a couple of Auto Parts stores for prices before I make a decision.  I may end up running EverStart batteries.  I think they are fine batteries I just don't like spending my money at Wal Mart.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Hooksetter

I replaced all 3 batteries in my boat last spring with 2 Everstart series 29 TM batteries and 1 Everstart series 31 cranking battery and couldn't be happier with their performance. I don't have the receipt in front of me  but I am 99% sure I paid just under $200.00 for all three, on sale. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

The thing with Everstart is knowing who actually made the battery. In the past, they have changed one year to the next and the battery you buy this year isn't the same as the one you bought last year. Also in the past, different models were made by different companies. I bring this up every so often because I hear from anglers and boaters who say they aren't getting the same battery this time that they got last time. The reason why usually is the company changed to a different maker or requested a change in manufacturing to save money.

That being said, some of the Everstart batteries have been made by East Penn, makers of Deka Batteries, the batteries I've been using for years because they are powerful, dependable and made in the USA. I'd have to check to see if East Penn is still making any of the Everstarts.

I prefer to buy brands that are actually made by the company. I know for sure what I'm getting. For quite a few years now, that's been Deka. Top quality battery that has never failed me at the worst time (or any time). They cost a little more, but the quality and the lasting time make it a simple, clear decision for me. I like to save money too, but fishing is too important to me to take chances I don't need to take.

Deka makes all the types of batteries for boating. I use 31 wet flooded cell Marine Master batteries which work great for my setup. I haven't had to spend hardly any time with maintenance. Got 4 years out of the last set. NEVER ran out of juice during the day no matter how long I fished in wind and current of the Great Lakes!! VERY important to me.

Here's a SE Michigan distributor if you want to call someone and ask questions:
Wonch Battery
26332 Lawrence Street
Center Line, MI 48015
Phone: 586-758-5400
Fax: 586-758-5956

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

skeeterman190

I run 2 different kinds. But i think that im trading my Everstarts that I use for my trolling motor over to Deka. I run a Deka cranking battery. Its great. I top it off every once in awhile. I just did a ton of maintence that was way over due today. Everythings working in tip top shape.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Cy

I know thedude bought some private label Deka made deep cycle batteries last year.  I need to find out where he got and check into it.  If I remember right it was near downtown GR and he paid less than $100 a piece for them.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skulley

I am running two wet cell Complete Battery Source Batteries for my trolling motor.  I am going on my third season with them and I am very happy with them.  As I said in my original post the cranking battery has been the issue.  I want a maintenance free because the one I had previously to the one I got now was a Delco Voyager.  It was an outstanding battery.  The problem is I have not been able to find another.  I checked Murray's Auto where I bought the first one.  They now carry the Exide Nautilus.  I started looking into this battery.  I have never known anyone who has owned one. 

No question gel would be the way to go but that is some big bucks.....$$$$$    :o  Within a budget like under a $100 I would look at an Everstart if I could purchase one from someplace other than Walmart.  I am on the east side of the state in the Detroit Area so a retailer around here..........other than Walmart......I would be interested in contacting.

Got Fish?? who lives down the street from me has a Sears Die Hard Deep Cycle Marine  Cranking Battery in his boat.  He is very happy.  I was looking at the Die Hard too.  But it is over $100.  When he bought his three years ago he said he paid about $89.  Inflation!!!  Still the Die Hard isn't that much over $100 and I haven't seen them go on sale yet.  I have been checking the flyer. 

The Nautilus from Exide has some interesting qualities.  From what I have read the Exide has got the market in anti-vibration technology which they claim.  I haven't heard any of you guys talk about the Nautilus which leads me to believe that no one on the board has had one.  Maybe I should buy one just to try it and then let you guys know what I think.  I can get one from Murray's and it is under $100.  We still have a couple of weeks because it is still winter however I want to have one by Easter because I will be fishing by Easter come heck or high water which I hope it is the later..........high water.............I like high water.........get into the Hot Pond easier.     8)     Any way back to Marine Cranking Batteries. 

Thanks DK for the name of that distributor in Center Line.  I will check him out.  He is close to work.  I'll give him a call and check to see if he still carries Everstart.  In a global market is there anyone who is making their own product any more.  An Everstart from East Penn would be fine.  Made in the USA as you said and the name is associated with quality product.  Lots of good product out there.  It is all about $$$$$$$ and how much we can keep in our pockets.  Thanks fellas!!!!   8)

BD           ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

SethV

I also need a new cranking battery this year.

I have run Delco Voyagers in the past - might go that route again.  Great batteries.  BigDog, if you need a Voyager, you can go to any Chevy dealer and get them from the parts counter.  They won't have them in stock, but they will bring you a fresh one from the distribution center within a couple of days.

FYI - Mercury recently released a list of "reccomended" batteries for use with the big block DI engines:

(Testing and information courtesy of Mercury Marine Research & Development)

-Odyssey PC1500, PC1700, PC2150 and PC2250.
-Optima Group 31
-West Marine Sea Volt Group 27 AGM.
-Trolling Thunder TT1175 and TT1370.
-Excide Megacycle (Mercury Brand) MC-31 and XMC-31.
-Sears Die Hard Platinum 34M and 31M.
-Deka Sea Mate 8A27M and 8A31DTM.

I am thinking about the Die Hard Platinum 31M - same battery as the odyessy, but less $$.  1150 CCA & 205 Min reserve.  $249

Seth

Waterfoul

I think you should all buy West Marine batteries.  :D  Which by the way are East Penn batteries.  And the last time I checked JCI was making the Everstarts for Wally world.

And we all know who makes Optima.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Seems like a lot of the 'store' brand batteries are doing more with JCI and East Penn now. I think that is a good sign they want to put out a more dependable product.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Could be true, but there is nothing wrong with an East Penn battery either.  The West batteries seem to be holding up as well as anyones these days.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

I went to A1 electric on the corner of Turner and Ann street. If you take the southbound 131 exit for ann street you drive right by it. Guy charged was asking 90ish a pop for a 31 DCM - He made me a deal on them for 85 each cuz i got 2.
the brand was Transcontinental which is a shop-brand from east penn (deka). They work great, i've got a 36v system now and had to toss an everstart in there for the short term, but they run forever w/ my 101 terrova.

A1 might have changed hands since i bought them 2 years ago, but i dropped some old batteries off there this summer and they still had some trans on the shelf.
D&R has deka 31s for 109$ also.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

That's a very good price for a quality 31 battery.

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 10, 2009, 08:08:36 PM
Could be true, but there is nothing wrong with an East Penn battery either.  The West batteries seem to be holding up as well as anyones these days.

You talking to me? I think that is what I was saying...? Obviously, since I only use Deka batteries made by East Penn, I'd say I like the company's products. In my boat. In my truck. In my lawn tractor... :)

I was just saying that it is good to see store brands sticking to the quality battery companies more often.

BryanP

I've been using Crown Batteries for the past 7-8 years.  They're made right here in Ohio.  Fremont, OH I believe?  I use the 31's for my trolling motor and the biggest crank battery they make (can't remember the model). I believe they run right around $100-109 and I usually keep them 3 years.

I'm surprised to see so many positive remarks about Everstarts.  Those things pretty much suck in my book! LOL!  Everyone I know that's had them has had at least one go bad in the first year, sometimes two!

djkimmel

I've had various levels of success with them in the distant past, but it was usually related to who was making them at the time. For the past 8 or 9 years, I've stuck with Deka and no problems anymore. Consistent quality.