Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking for advice

Started by dashaver63, April 02, 2021, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

I'm hoping to get to st. Clair a couple times this year. What launch ramps do you recommend close to the mile roads? I went out of Harley last year and it great for the North end but its a long run down to the mile roads.

djkimmel

Clinton River Cutoff is the MDNR ramp a little south of Metro. It is unusable right now as usual for spring due to huge amount of silt piled on it, but they began dredging a week ago. Might not be ready until beginning of May. Sometimes they surprise me though and get it done faster. The picture I saw recently was quite the mess though.

They are supposed to start the redesign/rebuild of that whole ramp this summer too, which includes moving the actual ramps. Probably take all season. The DNR says they will keep at least part of the ramp open most of that time.

There's also the three St. Clair Shores ramps at 11 Mile Road (behind the blue sea wall), Blossom Heath (just south of 10 Mile Road) and the 9 Mile Road ramp. The first two are supposedly for city residents only. I know some people still launch there anyways, and seem to pull it off. The one time I pulled in to Blossom Heath on my own, the attendant there told me I couldn't launch... but I'm a redhead, and that's just normal for redheads... Same for 11 Mile. I've only launched there a few times fishing with locals.

9 Mile Road ramp allows nonresidents. It's supposed to be open all season because they've delayed some work until next year. I can't guarantee that, but the locals are saying that's what they've been told. There still a fair amount of parking there. Can't quite remember if you can launch 2 or 3 boats at a time? In the early spring usually isn't an issue.

The things to know about 9 Mile Road ramp are the drive to the ramps from the parking lot is a long drive and a looonng walk from the parking lot to the boat docks. If fishing alone, don't leave valuables sitting in your boat where they are easily visible while you park and walk back due to the very occasional incidents with things disappearing from your boat in the time it takes you to make the drive and walk back.

Seems a shame that this happens sometimes - not sure if it is other boaters leaving the dock, or maybe people walking out on to the peninsula that happen to be there. In the early season, there might not be anyone else around so not much of a worry. There's very little reason for someone to boat back into that long canal other than to use the ramp, but maybe sometimes someone idles back there and sees a boat at the dock? Don't really know. Easy enough to just not get any stuff out onto your boat deck until you have parked and walked back. If you're fishing with someone else, then no problem.

I've launched there a dozen or so times, and did not have a problem. It's good exercise, and it puts you just N of the Ford Mansion, and just S of 10 Mile and up flats everyone fishes early. I think there's a fee ($15 for nonresidents), but early there's not always someone there to collect it. Seems like I rarely remember someone being there to monitor, though I launch more during the week for some time now. Make sure you remember which canal the ramp is in. They can all look alike when you're coming back in later in the day. :)

The 11 Mile and Blossom Heath are both more convenient, but there tends to be an attendant more often who might check residency, and will definitely collect the launch fee. There's a nonresident annual sticker you can purchase from St. Clair Shores for $100 (residents $65).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Thanks Dan, great information!

fiker

I talked to a guy today that said he was there yesterday.  The attendant at 9 mile said he had to be a resident and sent him to blossom heath.  They let him launch but said the launch would soon be under construction and will close. 
Crocker is closed. 
Metro park was still operational last I knew as is harley and st. Jeans.
It really grinds me that I live an hour away from one of the best lakes in the world and my state cant figure out how to put a couple of boat launches on it that are for everyone. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Rangerman

How about Harley Ensign, Great ramp for Mile Roads

Bigbass201

Crocker had one ramp open, but the muck was horrible what a buddy told me.  He said his trailer was completely covered.

Rangerman

No problem with Selfridge or Clinton River Cut Off aka Crocker.   :) June 13-21 st.