Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

More on So You Want to be a Tournament Angler

Started by djkimmel, February 28, 2009, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

An interesting article about the realities of becoming a tournament bass pro that fits my knowledge is power belief of saying things like they are for persons who have the aspiration - from Gary Yamamoto's Inside Line:

How Healthy is Professional Bass Fishing?

By Ken Smith
Central Staff Writer

February 20, 2009

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but if you're thinking about going pro, you better go into it with your eyes open. Read the article...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Durand Dan

Good article. I think most of most of his  budget assumptions were on the low side though. Making it even harder to survive the tour.

skeeterman190

Great article he wrote there and really puts things out there for you. I wonder how many guys want to do that for a living? I know i would but the mental aspect of it could be draining. We all love to fish but how many would risk everything they have to try and make it?-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

jgip087

Great article but I agree the estimates were low on total costs. I know it cost a lot more than his estimates in gas. I would think more of about 12,000 miles divided by 12 mpg gets you to 1000 gallons at 3.50-4 bucks a pop puts your fuel more around 3500-4000 bucks plus driving around town with less mpg and idling while waiting to put in/take out. Best guess from experience with Elite anglers was the total cost was $55,000 for entry fees and about $20,000-$25,000 for fuel, lures, lodging and other things so look at them spending more like $75,000-$80,000 just to fish last year. Just to fish the southern opens we probably spent about 3500 bucks a tournament. $1000 entry fee and 2500 for fuel, lodging, etc. but I think it could be done much cheaper.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Skip Johnson

Good read thanx for posting that, I think theres alot of peaple that REALY need to read and absorb what was wrote.
My input on it would be dont think about quitting your day job to be a tournament guy or full time pro and hopefully your winnings will help your hobby be more affordable thus allowing you more time on the water.
if you are one of the lucky few who make an "ACTUAL" profit from tournament fishing enjoy it becouse its likeley to be short lived unless you have a deep pocket/major cash sponsor backing you.
Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

I don't want to shut anyone down who wants to be a bass pro, but I do agree with the 'eyes wide open' approach.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TritonTR20

Sure would be nice, but I would have to hit the lotto...

TCook

Looks like the goal of fishing on the pro level is a pipe dream at best. Why did I have to get the passion for bass fishing and not something cheaper like billiards or bowling? I cant even afford a boat and if it stays that way I might not be tournament fishing much longer. Being stuck on the back in big tournaments is better than nothing but gets old fast and still costs a ton.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Durand Dan

You could cuts costs by
1. Sleeping in the rod locker
2. Trolling Motor only
3. Eating your culls
;D ;D ;D

Fishmael

...guess I'll keep the day job... :o  Another cost cutting measure is to hitchhike and only accept rides from people that have a trailer hitch...gas cost would be way down!

Skulley

I know I will be hanging onto my job.  If I can make a few bucks fishing, that's a bonus.  It sends me a message that this bad economy is affecting everyone across the country.  I personally haven't fished too many tournaments in the last 3 to 4 years.  I try to pick and choose which ones to enter.  Fishing first and foremost should be for fun and relaxation.  Tournament fishing can sometimes take away from that.  The pressure and the stress to do well and cash a check can be extreme.  I wouldn't be able to fish if it weren't for my regular job which also pays the mortgage and utilities.  It is going to be interesting how the economy will be affecting the local tournaments in the area.  If fees don't come down, you can probably count on the participation being down too.  People are going to spend their money more wisely and try to keep as much as possible in their pockets.

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jcox7

As always Dan you came up with a great article that brought some realities to life.  There are many questions to be asked however having friends that play this game at the highest levels they will be honest and tell you that there is a lot to risk making the jump to this level.. But if you are truely good enough the risk is a little more managable.  For instance even though most pros do not have cash deals that actually pay them to fish most do have some sort of boat and motor deal.  Also I dont know about everyone but for those I know all of there entry fees are paid for.  So in this article that means of the 67000 or whatever 55000 is taken care of.  Pure fishing jumps on every pros back most pay nothing to use there product the rest have huge percentages off.  Go to the big campgrounds while the tour is in town and you will see hundreds of fisherman so the Hotel fees is a little false.  Is it expensive I guess that is how much money you have but that should not be your worry or the question.  You should worry about competing against some of the best anglers out there.  If each year you do not destroy the people locally you fish against and we are not talking about mccarters KLA trail then dont seriously think that you have a chance.  There are a few anglers around here that have a chance that I think at this but most have families and real jobs and those people would not risk the happiness of thier families to chase a dream. 
    Nothing negative was meant to McCarters KLA Trail just that it is not where you want to make the decision if you arepro material or not

Jeff Cox

5alive

I am going to shoot some holes in this guys theories, and this does not include all anglers either. But you are only looking at the actual fishing side of this sport. These upper tier anglers do more than fish, and have you looked at their shirts? Most do have more than one sponsor and most do not jump right to the Elite levels. They get paid for appearances, seminars and have many incentive clauses in their contracts with sponsors. All this adds up to more income, these guys doing it professionally are a business in themselves, and thus they get a few more write-offs at the end of the year. Many have paid the price getting there though, and only a few will become rich, but it can be done. Take at look at BassZone's in the Zone and look at these guys houses, garages and tackle rooms (makes me wonder were some of the e-bay tackle comes from?).
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

JL

cr

Quote from: JL on March 04, 2009, 01:33:45 PM
So you're telling me there's a chance...

Now thats funny right there!!!!
   One of my favorite movie quote's

djkimmel

Fishmael

And the way I see it, you have at least a 50% chance of making it, because really you either will or you won't.  Not a lot of other options.  66.5% of all fisherman never try and 58.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!   ;)

cr

Plus there is other factors to consider. If your a stuck-up, know it all type, always blowing your own horn, looking down on others and bristling at constructive criticism, then the odds go way up against you. BUT if your a open minded person who has the ability to enter into conversations without insulting anyone who has a different perspective or opinion, can develop friendly relationships with-in a group of peers and truly value a fresh idea for what it is instead of attacking it because its contrary to what you believe, the odds go WAY UP in your favor, IMO . Look at the top anglers on tour today. Are there any horses butts? Or are the most successful ones nice guys who are approachable, talkative and friendly ?
The term "Emotional Quotient" comes to mind, and if you haven't heard of it, Google it, especially if my second sentence offended you .

motocross269

I would be happy to win a BFL on the Boaters side....   ;D
I don't even have enough stick to do that yet....