Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Will I ever use that??

Started by blakstr1, March 16, 2006, 06:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

I'm in the process of organizing all my tackle and am going to try to get down to a couple small tournament boxes and thats it, instead of taking everything with me all the time.? While doing this I've come across some stuff I never even knew I had!!? I'm sure many of you are better organized than this but some in the same boat...my question:?

What lure in your box, would be the last one you would throw...or basically never throw just own?

A little different perspective than we are used to..

Then maybe if somebody else has had success with that lure, they will offer some help...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

McCarter

I bought a 'hybrid' jerkbait 2 years ago.  I found it on Ebay.  Its made by Jackall Brothers/Lake Police.  I payed $24 for it with an additional $6 for s&h. 

I have never used it.  Its too pretty to risk losing to a toothy critter or a stump.

Other than that, i would probably say the Lucky Craft Wanderer.  I have heard guys say they are great and that they catch a lot of fish on them, but i just cant bring myself to tie it on.  Dont even know why i bought it.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Cheetam

Quote from: PoorBoy on March 16, 2006, 08:32:01 AM

Other than that, i would probably say the Lucky Craft Wanderer.? I have heard guys say they are great and that they catch a lot of fish on them, but i just cant bring myself to tie it on.? Dont even know why i bought it.

I have two that I have never tied on...an American Shad and an Aurora Black.  I also have probably 20+ crankbaits I haven't thrown in 2 or three years, but I still carry them around with me wherever I go.  I also have a boatload of softplastics that I carry around with me but don't use.  Yet, when I try and put together a little travel box, I can never exclude any of this stuff (there's always the "but what if I get into "x" situation...I may need to have this...).
Jeff

blakstr1

I started the string so I guess I should put mine up on here...Silver Buddies...I've got a couple of them but still have yet to get them wet.  I know some guys have success with blades but you gotta actually throw it once in a while to have any type of success..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Revtro

I also have some blade baits that have only seen water once or twice.  They're the XPS Lazer Blades.  They're similar to Silver Buddies.  This year though, I plan on figuring out how to use them on Cass in early May.  Evidently DK is the man when it comes to deep blade fishing on Cass in spring.  So pick his brain and I'm sure he'll some good suggestions.

For me, it's the Lucky Craft Staysee Minnow.  I have a couple that I haven't used.  Not sure really how to work them.  I originally thought they'd be used like a small jerkbait.  They have big lips on them.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

joshimoto son

BLKSTR,

I know what you mean about the silver buddies... but don't let happen to you what happened to me.

I knew that one day I would get out early enough in the year to start using them,(I always heard they work BEST when the water temp is below 55 degrees) I left it in a box of alcheapo .99 rapalas...
Well... my Mom was making some center pieces for our club banquet and she wanted some lures to put in with the flower arrangements so it would fit the "fishing" theme.
Well I gave her the box of alcheapo rapalas and thought to myself that I should take those silver buddies out, but then I said "nah" she'll never use them!!!
WRONG!!!! When I went to pick up the center pieces I got to lookin and they were plastered with my silver buddies... and Rapalas too... she wiped out the whole box in fact.
Now I gotta go back and replace a bait that I've never used before, just so I can have it in the box, in case I might get a chance to use it.

Josimoto son ;D

djkimmel

I've used Bullet Blades before and now use a custom homemade blade bait - won two late fall Cass Lake events in a row several seasons ago with almost every single fish caught on these blades. One of the events we had the only limit and the other there was only two limits that year because it was bad weather.

The first event, I had on over a dozen keepers on the blade from 20 to over 30 foot. I think I've had 3 or 4 top five money finishes there on with many of the bass caught on blade baits besides the two wins. It took a while to get the feel and I still find that the action seems to be a little different from lake to lake.

I've had my butt kicked on Hardy Dam even though we did pretty good between 3 of us on one of the spring trips. I've caught some nice smallies and largemouths on Cass in the early spring too on them.

Late fall smallies in cold water on St. Clair and some real nice ones when the water got cold a couple falls on Mullett including my best on a blade there - a 4-15 slab. I've caught smallies on the Grand River in Lansing (walleye too at many places and sometime the pike really get on them - one reason using less expensive homemade models is preferred), a few really nice 3+ largemouth in the spring out of the same hole in the weeds on Lake Lansing along with many other places.

I keep working on them because... well, practice makes perfect (actually just better and better... not even close to perfect - I've seen some wizards on these things).

I think what finally convinced me I had to use these baits was the late November day in that small pond in Black Creek on a crummy day when St. Clair was miserable and no other place seemed fishable without a really good reason to get really wet and cold.

Four other boats piled into that tiny pond for the same reason. They were in a tournament - a shiver event. The water was about 40 degrees and we had maybe one bite or follow.

I put on the blade and went to work in 9 to 10 feet in the mddle of the bay in sparse weeds. I ended up landing 11 small largemouths one right after the other while everyone else together landed 4 or 5 total. I like when that happens... so I keep snapping away.

As far as the lure I may never use again... I may still have a Dance's Eel somewhere around here...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

Josh, that is hillarious!  I wonder how many of us have had lures used for something other than fishing.  I have a bunch decorating my office, but they're ones I've used for fishing.  Too funny about the centerpieces. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

i used some aberdeen hooks for christmas ornament hooks one year, got the idea from Home Alone...

Gostenik had a blade bait with him at his Novi seminar, it looked really good, I might be tempted to try that, who knows..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

fiker

An array of soft plastics in colors that I'm sure work somewhere.  Just not the lakes I fish in.  But.... one never knows and so I carry them around. 

Three colors of moss boss.

A one ounce white jig w/ rattles of course.

Various crankbaits of various colors & depths that just never get wet.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bosshawg

i have this this buzz bait that has this styra foam looking bulb w/wings on it that i can't recall where the h#%$ that came from

plastics worms galore

some flying lures a friend gave me many years ago 
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Hooksetter

I have some Hartig inline spinnerbaits that have been riding my boat since the first day I got it. I just can't get myself to take them out. I just know someday I'm going to need them.

Revtro, try the Staysee suspending jerkbait on LSC. The smallies love em. I throw mine on 10# P-Line and they dive to 10-12 feet, with lots of side to side erratic movement. If there are smallies around they will usually hit it.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Revtro

Sweet.  Now that someone I know has had success with them, I'll definely give them a try this year.  Thanks!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fiker

Maybe we should all meet in a parking lot somewhere for a swap meet. 

Swap unused lures.... swap how to's......swap stories....

Hey don't they have a parking lot at Hooters?

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

McCarter

Quote from: fiker50 on March 18, 2006, 08:46:24 AM
Maybe we should all meet in a parking lot somewhere for a swap meet.?

Swap unused lures.... swap how to's......swap stories....

Hey don't they have a parking lot at Hooters?

I swear, this board is the best thing ever.  You guys are my kinda people.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Revtro

That's a great idea.  In fact, it's something our club is doing this year at our next meeting.  A swap meet sounds great.  There is a huge parking lot at Fountainwalk in Novi.  The back section is never full.  We could meet out there and put stuff out on our truck tailgates.  If ya'll want to do it, count me it.  I have a few old soft plastics, I'd love to pass along to someone.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

spinninbug

Yeah but Josh's mom did a great job on the ceterpieces they were so cool,  I had to tell my husband he couldn't take the crankbait off mine I didn't care if it is a good smallie color!
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

dartag

remember at the Novi Hooters it was all about the Lure molds..  the wait staff loved them..
no mo ice time to go fishing.

Cheetam

Quote from: dartag on March 20, 2006, 12:44:28 PM
remember at the Novi Hooters it was all about the Lure molds..? the wait staff loved them..
no mo ice time to go fishing.

Wait until they get a look at my new custom Goby mold...we might get some extra wings and cheese sticks this one is so purdy... ;D
Jeff

Revtro

Not sure if we're really serious about getting together to swap tackle, but if we are, anyone want to suggest a date?  I'm up for it if we can get enough guys to show up. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]