Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What do you consider the top 3 crankbait colors?

Started by Cheetam, February 15, 2009, 08:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheetam

I'm just doing a little research for my own selfish purposes  :D.  What are the top 3 colors you look for when buying crankbaits?  Before anyone says it, I would like to eliminate "Sexy Shad", since it is obviously the color du jour.  I am guessing I'll see many variations of "Shad" (e.g. Tennessee Shad, Chartreuse Shad, etc.), "Crawfish", "Bluegill", "Firetiger", etc.  But, if you could only have 3 colors and/or patterns (I consider something like Baby Bass a pattern more so than a color), what would you choose?  Black back/chartreuse?  Blue back/silver?  Red back/yellow?  For me, I like baby bass, classic shad (pearl white, black back), and various combinations of greens, yellows and chartreuse.  So what do you look for?
Jeff

Durand Dan

Bandit's Baby Bass 200 is the go to bait!

thedude

i go with a bluegill or sunfish pattern from the get go. From there, gold/black,  chart/black or chart/blue, and rootbeer.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Lightningboy

Don't discount sexy shad; it's just a version of LC chart. shad, an excellent color.  I own a lot of cranks in some version of chart. shad, it's just a great baitfish imitator that works great in everything but very clear water.  (Well, it does work very well in deep clear water.)

Second place is rootbeer with a chart. belly.  Makes a good craw & bluegill imitation.  The back can be anywhere from brown to green, and the belly a hot chart. or a subtler yellow.

Last is some version of LC ghost minnow.  Killer in very clear waters, and does very well in stained water with a chart. dot on each side.

I think I could go just about anywhere and catch with those three.

Cheetam

Quote from: Lightningboy on February 15, 2009, 10:55:37 PM
Don't discount sexy shad; it's just a version of LC chart. shad, an excellent color. 
I'm not discounting it (as in I wouldn't use it or paint a bait with it).  I just know 50% of the replies I get would include it.  I'm working on a little something right now, and I want to get some ideas on what colors people like to buy.  Sexy Shad (or at least a variation of it) is on my list to include in my little project.  I'm looking for the next 2, maybe 3 colors in terms of popularity.
Jeff

Skulley

Gold Chrome/Black Back/Orange Belly; Sunfish; and last but not least Pearl White/Black Back/Orange Belly.  These three colors are on two different brands of baits.  One color is not made anymore.  These are my choices if I am only allowed three crankbaits in the boat.

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Cheetam

Quote from: ebond on February 16, 2009, 09:53:11 AM
Metallic w/ Blue, Green or Purple hue
Fire Tiger hues w/ Perch or Sunfish pattern
Red w/ Brown or Black shading

Jeff,

Please send three prototypes before opening catch and release season! 8)

Eric Bond

Just doing a little R&D right now.  Hopefully I'll have something soon (*fingers crossed*)...
Jeff

Cy

If I could have only three...that a horrible thought!  :'(

Chart / Green Back

Gold / Black Back

Orange or Red - Crawdad color

Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skulley

It's not all about color with crankbaits....... ???..........how about wobble............wide or narrow........ ???.......rattle sounds...... ???.....maybe not rattles....... ???.......balsa or plastic.  ???  Lots and lots of variables in crankbait fishing.   ???

BD               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

chrisvmo

I know its a bit of topic but how many use x-rap or x-shad regularly? I know this is about all I use during the pre-spawn but not much after that. I had alot of succes with the clown color last year.

Cheetam

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 16, 2009, 12:28:38 PM
It's not all about color with crankbaits....... ???..........how about wobble............wide or narrow........ ???.......rattle sounds...... ???.....maybe not rattles....... ???.......balsa or plastic.  ???  Lots and lots of variables in crankbait fishing.   ???

BD               ;D

Sorry, I sounded a bit cranky...Understanding all of that, everyone has confidence colors.  Actions catch fish, colors catch fisherman.  IMO, You can make the world's best crankbait, but if you don't make colors that people want, they won't buy 'em.
Jeff

Trux

My favorite colors:

• Sexy Shad (I'm a believer after last year)
  • Baby Bass - black back green sides white bottom
  • Firetiger

As for the X-Rap, I have had lots of success on olive, and more on the smaller size 8 than the larger 10s.

I've picked up a couple Bomber Switchback shad for this year. I'm really curious as to how turning the rattle on or off affects its performance. :-\'

Savage

Clear water before sunup - White pearl Bobmber fat free shad

Clear water after sunup - Ghost shad or the endless variations thereof

Dirty water - Chrome sexy shad colored redeye shad

Can't go wrong with those 3! 8)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

dartag

hey Jeff

paint me a Green pumpkin with black flake.  works with the Senkos.    i will have to cut it in half though.
:D :D :D

Waterfoul

What is this "crankbait" you are referring too??   ???   ???

::)

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cheetam

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 16, 2009, 07:09:00 PM
What is this "crankbait" you are referring too??   ???   ???

::)

It's nothing too big.  I have 6 prototype bodies I'm having cut special, and I am going to use 3 or 4 different woods for each (not basswood, paulownia, or balsa - although I may end up using those in the future if everything else bombs miserably  :D).  Of those (if they even swim  :D) I'm hoping to choose 3 styles to build a small run of hand-cut, hand-sanded, hand-assembled, hand-painted and hand-tuned crankbaits.  The question about paint and patterns comes up because I'd like to limit the paint possibilities down to 3 or maybe 4.
Jeff

djkimmel

Dark Green crayfish
Red Craw
Tennessee Shad

Why, if black and blue is the number one jig color in the good ole US, almost no one makes a black and blue crankbait?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

yukonjack2

1 - Rootbeer Chartreuse -
2- custom developed Brown back, blue sides, white belly
Tie for thirs
3 - Red eye shad in a banana split color - kind of a muted red craw with a little yellow sides
3 - White DD 22
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

LGMOUTH

C flash colors
Bluegill
Sour Cream (white with a little bit of chartreuse)
Shad Minnow (white with a little bit of pink)

When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

TCook

I have been buying the same 3 colors that LGMOUTH mentioned this winter along with threadfin shad, blue back minnow, and lemonaid. I used only a couple of those colors last year but will be throwing them alot more in 09. I actually like the fact that they are $22 a pop, hopefully alot of guys will not be throwing them because of the price.

T
FISH HARD!!!