Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Its officially rod building season

Started by thedude, February 09, 2009, 11:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedude

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

You're supposed to be working on crankbaits, aren't you?

Nice looking stuff dude.
Jeff

thedude

those were just to keep me busy until this shipment came in. Got a lot of eyes to tie before the last sat in april.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

Dang!  You've been busy!  I feel like a slacker.  I only have one grip ALMOST done.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skeeter

Hi all,  new here. Hope Im not being a jerk but, Dude-sir, Ive been building since november 1st..haha ;D
I would like to ask if I could also offer my input to this rod building forum. Ive only been building for 3 yrs, but would like to offer my limited opinions to others on the board also.  If I may??? Not wanting to step on any toes or anything. Dude, may I ask you about your spiral micro guide placements on a 7' blank?  I know every blank is different, but at what measurements from the tip do you start placing your guides? (comparing notes ;))  I mostly use 9 guides 6DF 5SF then 4's or 3's to the end. Thanks!!! DG

thedude

i haven't done any micros yet - however all but 2 of the rods in that picture will get micros this go around. In the past i've used 10 guides (including the bumper) on a 7'+ rod. Starting with a sz7 Double foot for the 1st guide and the bumper, then all size 6s to the tip.
for spacing on most rods i use the spacing charts that fuji published for the concept guides. I start with those and then do the static deflection test which usually doesn't even require moving them.
For this batch i'm using size 7 df to a sz 6 single bumper, sz 5 transition and 3.5s the rest of the way down. For the spinning rods, i'm using sz 10, 8, 6 match guides down to 3.5s also.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I have the Fuji Concept spacing chart in a PDF is anyone wants it.  I can email it to you.  I don't know how easy it is to find on the Net.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skeeter

Thanks Dude.  I'm on my 5th spiraled, micro guided baitcaster. I'm using the Batson guides. I also use the Fuji specs, although Ive found the need to move them a bit. I need to get the camera out and post up some pics of my builds.  I  have been cutting out and making my own 2pc seats. I know that pac-bay sells em now. haven't tried those yet.......Whats your blank of choice??
Unless you do alot of flipping and pitching you may be able to start out with a 6DF or even a 6SF then go to the smaller sizes as soon as you can. I'm probably preachin to the choir, not trying to offend your knowledge, just dropping some other ideas down. ( I have a 6'6" St croix that is a 6SF 2-5SF then 3's to the tip and it casts/works surprisingly really well!!) skeeter.

thedude

not at all skeeter - i've only been in the game a few years myself. Its my winter hobby, because, well lets face it - icefishing sucks!

i've got a bunch of the batson guides on order for these builds. Pretty excited to try them out after all the hype. I like the idea of spending less on guides and ending up with a lighter, better casting rod. I use alconites for the regular guides. I mostly build on batson's blanks as I feel they are the best bang for the buck. I've done a few on croixs and don't feel they are worth the extra money until you step up to a SCIV or SCV. Hoping to do a couple seeker s-glass crankin sticks in the future as well. I have a rod built on one and really like it. As for the seats - all these pictured are the new pac bay seats. First impression of them is they are gonna be great for spinning rods and light to medium duty baitcasters. The rod on the far left is an IMB845 - which is essentially a broom stick. It'll be my personal heavy cover pitchin rod. I went with the fuji ACS seat on this one because i really want the reel to be firmly planted in the seat and i don't want the rod to be able to flex there.  There were some reports of the early swampland/castaway seats (same as Airrus rods) not having a deep enough cup in the seat and reels popping out under the heavy impact of a 60lb braid hookset. I know at one point Airrus was taking back their commercial rods and guys in the factory were deeping that pocket by hand also - so it is fixable if it comes up. I read a few theories that the pac bay were the same, but from what i can tell, a standard baitcasting reel fits just fine so i'm not too worried about it. I think it was mostly speculation as they've only been available for about a month or so.

here's an imb743 jig rod i recently finished with the 7df, 7df, 6sf configuration i mentioned earlier. Of course, now i'm making one for myself too  ;D

Palehorse Custom Rods

AMAST77

Where do you guys order these batson products?

thedude

Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

So... is mine done yet?  I think the lake across the street is about thawed after the last couple days!

If not... there's about 1' of water on TOP of the ice I could just cast into....
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

you can put a reel on it... might kinda hard to cast without guides though.....
Palehorse Custom Rods

AMAST77

Quote from: thedude on February 10, 2009, 10:11:31 PM
www.customtackle.com
http://www.fishsticks4u.com/

www.batsonenterprises.com

;)
Thanks for the help dude, I agree with your ice fishing fellings. I built my first rod last summer and have done five this winter. I am pretty happy with my results but those rods you have look awesome!
My next step is to try custome cork. What glue do you guys use to stick those rings together.

thedude

i use waterproof wood glue  like titebond II or higher. a lot of guys use epoxy but i dont like the hastle. I used titebond II to glue bottom boards to cork duck decoys and they float in the water for hours at a time with no issues so i have no problems using it.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Skeeter

Ditto on the Titebond II.   I have used the 2 part FlexCoat epoxy also.  Not bad.... kinda a pain like Dude said. Havent had any ill effects after the gluing with either. Skeeter.

AMAST77

Thanks for the help guys. I just placed an order for a couple of those batson blanks last night. I remembered all the other components except real seats.

Shipping sucks,

BryanP

AMAST77,

Not sure where you're located, but you might consider taking a drive to Jann's Netcraft in Maumee, OH.  It's worth a couple hour drive if you're looking for rod components.  They carry a ton of Batson blanks and components, plus Loomis, St Croix, Amtak, Sportsman Series blanks.  Fuji and Pac Bay guides and lots of cork and everything else you might need.  It's nice to be able to handle the blanks in person so you know what you're getting instead of guessing what "brand X" 7' MH feels like because every brand is different.

AMAST77

Thanks Bryan Im located in jenison it may be a long haul but I think I am just about bored enough to check it out. This may be the longest winter in history.
If your the bryan P Im thinking tell Greg that Aaron should have your hooks welded next week sometime. (If you happen to talk to him)

thedude

the guys at patriot rods in Gobles stock blanks. they also sell them online. I haven't been to the shop, but i believe you can go in and check out what they have.
http://patriotcustomrods.com/
Palehorse Custom Rods