Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anybody out driving today (Saturday 1/17)?

Started by WayneC, January 17, 2009, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneC

I was on my way back from Lansing and had to give up counting the cars in the ditch, crackups and spinouts.  It got to the point where I would see a car fly by and note the make and model for later identification.  If I was a passenger today, I would have handicapped each one of those to see how I scored later on.

I96 was strewn with car body parts all the way back into Detroit.  I had one spin out right in front of me and there were four either in the ditch or cracked up before I went from west Lansing to east.  I saw small cars as well as SUV's.

I really don't get it.  I'll see a car go slowly past three accidents then accelerate and end up in the ditch about 10 miles down the road.  My whole objective was to keep from getting creamed by somebody else.  Driving according to the conditions was easy.  Sure, it took 2 3/4 hours to get back from the west side of Lansing to Clawson, but I got back.

Hey Dan!  Did ya see?  Did ya see it?  I graduated to Big Fish today!

Cheetam

We had plans to go see my sister's new house about an hour away (during regular weather).  Needless to say, I cancelled.  No matter how good of a driver YOU are, you still risk the chance of getting in an accident because someone else isn't as careful.
Jeff

djkimmel

I love driving a 120 miles each day. I see soooo many interesting and 'good' drivers.

Wayne - I'm PROUD of you!!! BIG FISH!!! Congratulations!! Who knows what might come next?!? Anything is possible with Goby Wayne Kenobi... Let the (prop) force be with you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

WayneC

It took the "Force" to get through for sure.

dartag

that makes 2 saturdays in a row with really bad weather.  we were out all day yesterday at my sons swim meet.  saw a bunch of fender benders.  when we got home there was 5 inches of fresh snow to shovel.   I think i have used my snowblower more this year than ever. I even had to shovel trails for Lola. she was bottoming out in the yard.
Is this what they call Global Warming??   at least there will be lots of water when this all melts.

think spring.

Bloomer

Actually ice fishing St. Clair all day yesterday, didn't care about the weather I was going. Made it there in 45 minutes at 6am, took 2 hours to get back at 8pm. But surprisingly enough only saw one car in the ditch, Drove 10 miles on 696, then 20 miles on 75, just the one car, was shocked considering I couldn't really tell what lane I was driving in.

djkimmel

Quote from: Bloomer on January 18, 2009, 09:53:44 AM
was shocked considering I couldn't really tell what lane I was driving in.

Probably ALL of them!!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

And it's still only January............... :'(!!!!!

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

WayneC

Got word from relatives that they passed 5 separate accidents on I696 on the way over today (Sun.).  It just isn't getting warm enough to get that thin film of packed snow and ice off.

I haven't checked lately but that is a very good point dartag...winters like this are supposed to bring the Great Lakes water levels up.

thedude

i went icefishing in muskegon... got out of my shanty 3hrs into it and found 6" of new snow... there was 10" by the time we left. Final report for out there was 13" overall i think. Fun times... didn't have much trouble getting home at least. 9600lbs of 4 wheel drive is good for that kind of stuff :)

ps. draggin a loaded fish-trap pro through 2" of hard snow is easy, dragging it back through 10" of fluffy stuff sucks!!!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

REEL_MAN

In just a hours I head for south Texas. It's for work not pleasure :(, but right now I'll take the 80 degree temps ;D. I'll think of you guys when I'm out in the WARM sun :P

REEL MAN
<))))))>{

WayneC

OK...we got:

2" of hard snow to start
3 hrs. then 6 more inches of new snow
10 or maybe 13" of fluffy stuff on the return
9600 lbs. of 4 wheel drive
and a fish-trap pro...

Waddid ya catch?

Skulley

A cold.................and snow in my snuggies.  :o

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Bender

I drove around that Saturday (1-17) and it was bad, but nothing compared to last night where I was. I went from Brighton to metro airport and back and saw more vehicles crashed and off the road than ever before. The roads were just random sheets of black ice, and in driving 3 hours I saw no salt trucks. I don't mind the snow, I keep truckin' but that ice really scares me.
I'm setting off for a 10.5 hour drive to the west end of the UP this morning, hope the roads are better today.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

WayneC

Hard to defend against the ice.  I was driving my front wheel drive Gran Prix last year on I96 one dark morning and started fishtailing.  Since I've driven nothing but rear wheel all my life, even professionally, I did everything wrong and ended up doing three 360's and came to rest in the middle of the freeway with no cars within a 1/4 mile of me.  The pavement looked fine and I didn't slow down or speed up or make any movements one way or another.  I haven't trusted that car since.  I've been driving my Dakota lately and happy to do so.

Best of luck on your trip.  It sounds like you're prepared for the worst, I hope you get the best possible conditions under the circumstances.  Happy trails!

djkimmel

I didn't see any snow any where last week!!! Lots of burros, cows, horses, and funny talking people in short sleeve shirts... not sure why I left and came back??

WayneC

Got Fish??

I drive a snowplow for the city of Livonia. I have to be out driving around in this stuff. Can't wait for it to go away. Looking forward to ice out and with the sun beating on the top of my head, and the water coming over the frount of my boat and hitting me in the face. Oh what a dream!

Langer

How about you come plow my rd in Redford. Seems the City doesn't remember the rds there because they never plow it! I could leave a 6 pack by the rd!
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

WayneC

That sounds like winter in Detroit in the 70's.  We had nothing but very deep two tracks to run on and when cars passed, each car got one track and the other wheel had to be up on the hard packed snow and ice.