Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Minn Kota Trolling Motor

Started by Fishmael, December 31, 2008, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

I have a 70lb thrust All Terrain Minn Kota on my boat.  It isn't very old at all, but every time I turn the motor, it makes this awful screeching noise like the plastic is too tight or something is rubbing.  I have a feeling that I am not as stealthy as I could be with my TM sounding like fingernails on a chalk board.  I tried using some WD40, but maybe I didn't get the right part because it still made the noise.  Any ideas?

Cy

Disclaimer: Take it in for repair. 

However the first thing I would check is that there isn't any fishing line or other things under the TM prop.  Line will get wrapped around the TM shaft under the prop and cause damage to the shaft, shaft seal or bearings.  This could cause a noise.  If I were to wager a guess I would think you have a bad bearing in the motor unit.

Oh, BTW.  Don't use WD-40 on anything ever.  It is the biggest dirt magnet known to man.  And from my experience can cause more harm then good.

Here is a link to Minn Kota service site.  You can find a repair facility or email MK.  http://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/index.asp

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skulley

Cy is right.......the only time to use WD40 is when the door hinges on your truck need lube.  When I had the same problem with my Minnkota, I took it to Wonderland Marine West.  They repaired it in about a week or so and did an awesome job.  Good as new and I didn't go broke.

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Durand Dan

Quote from: UAWBigDog on December 31, 2008, 10:27:02 AM
Cy is right.......the only time to use WD40 is when the door hinges on your truck need lube.  When I had the same problem with my Minnkota, I took it to Wonderland Marine West.  They repaired it in about a week or so and did an awesome job.  Good as new and I didn't go broke.

BD              ;D
WD40 on Senkos is the BOMB ;D

Fishmael

Thanks for the info.  I guess I have some time before I need it again, so this might be the prime time for repairs, huh?!  I live on the west side of the State.  So, I'll have to check the listing to see who repairs around here.  Also, good to know on the WD-40.  Now I probably really gummed it up!   :o

BryanP

Great Lakes Communications in GR,  D&R Sports in Kzoo,  and Trolling Motor Repair in Kingsley are the Authorized Service Centers on the west side.

FOB

Fishmael - BryanP is correct about the other service centers. ( he should know ) If they can not help you though, give us a call at Wonderland for our store hours.  If you or someone you know is going to the Ultimate in Novi, it could be dropped off then.  And yes, this is the best time to have it taken care of.  Not April or May.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

REEL_MAN

sounds like you have had a screw come out of the top pivot and the inner tube. I have seem this more that once. It can be as easy as lock tighting the screws back in or as major as needing to replace the inner tube. Not the thing for the average person to tackle because you must loosen the tension on the stearing (not hard) and tear down the control head. The problem is when it comes to putting it back together, getting the parts in the correct place, correct orientation and tansion on the cables.
I recommend you take it to a service center.

REELMAN

Fishmael

Thanks for the input.  I will definitely be taking it in to get fixed.  I cringed every time I was in water shallower than 10' this past year because the TM was so noisy.  It will be nice to get the "quiet power that catches fish" back! I think the fish that stuck around this year must have felt sorry for me.

Dan

Tom Soltow is a certified Minn Kota and Cannon repairman I have been to several times. He's in Kingsley just south of Traverse City. He certainly is the most reasonable and does good work. 119 E. Main St. PO Box 77 Kingsley, MI  49649 231-263-5998 His repair shop is in the other half of a laundromat he owns. He's trying to sell the place and may be getting ready to hang it up and retire.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."