Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Working on your bowling yet?

Started by WayneC, October 28, 2008, 12:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneC

I am, and I'm going to attend this clinic because I need it soo much.  There may still be spots open for the video training.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

kennsandy

bowling, do people still do that, lol.  this is my second year off and i couldnt be happier, except not to live in michigan in the winter, lol.

apparently everyone kept telling me bowling was supposed to be fun, but after carrying a high average for 20 some odd years, it just seem to lose its luster.  probably like if you went fishing and all the fish jumped in your boat, would you continue to do it, lol.

well your bowling clinic, i have went to a few of them in the past, they are usually pretty good.

McCarter

i like bowling because its the only sport in which the more i drink the better i do. and not to mention the bowling alley babes!

joshimoto son

I have found out that there's a weird correlation between bowlers and fisherman. I wrote a little article for our club news letter a while back. Keep in mind you probably won't recognise any of the names, but it might put some things in perspective.

Bowling or Fishing?!?!?

It wasn't until after my first season with the club did I decide
to venture out to the bowling alley with Scott Ferris (who's been
known to bowl a few games) to pay my dues and banquet fees
to Mike Pritchard. It was out at Airport Lanes where we met up
with Mike on his league night and I thought to myself it's nice to see
somebody from the club since it has been a couple of months since
our last tournament.

To my surprise there stood Art Honsinger next to Mikey, I turn around
and there is Dick Morris, then Tanya Pritchard down the lanes,
then Carl Adams, Wayne and Mary Lawrence, Mark Deraedt!!!
All of a sudden I felt like I had stumbled on a lost Aztec city that
has been hidden from civilization for years.

I fished with these people all summer long and with the
exception of the banquet and an occasional meeting they disappeared
for eight months, and that was just the Friday night league!

I couldn't believe it, what the heck were all these fisherman doing bowling?
What was the connection? I had to find out. So the next year I found
myself on a Wednesday night league to start my research. Again, more
people from the club, stories of people from the club that used to bowl
for years and has since retired.

I then had to ask myself, "What are the similarities between the two sports?"
One of the obvious connections between the two is the competition,
but there's so many other activities out there that will provide the
same spirit of competing, like euchre, billiards, trap shooting... Yahtzee!!!
So I then decided to find another aspect of bowling that draws
all these moths to the same flame.

Maybe it was having to figure out the changing of the lane conditions
every week, the cool equipment, or maybe it was just the funny
cartoons on the monitor. I couldn't figure it out. I finally had to ask
myself the most disturbing question of all. Are these people bowlers
at heart who just fish together in the summer? Tell me it isn't so!!
I felt like somebody just told me that Santa Claus wasn't real. (He is by the way!)
I went through the rest of the season pretty depressed about having
to come to grips with the reality that fishing wasn't more important than bowling.

Then!!! Finally... it hit me. I began to smile again. My faith in humanity
was being restored. I figured it out!!! We were fisherman at heart.
The one thing that ties it all together. We as fisherman love to bowl
because of one common denominator.
We're still throwing a hook in hopes to get a strike!

joshimoto son ;D

bassmandan

LOL!!

i never hoped to get a strike in bowling, i learned how to make them instead. i havent been bowling in over a year, i was on my high school varsity team for 3 years too. my average was around 190-200 it prolly dropped to 120-150 since i havent picked up my bowling balls for some time now, gimme a couple games and itll shoot right back up
"dont stop keep fishing"

WayneC

That's a great story...It should probably told every year as the fishing season winds down to keep everyone's spirits up.

The event at Thunderbowl was great.  It was the first time I've tried something like this and it was worth a lot more than the $25 I paid (you could recoup the $25 later as a discount on a ball purchased at the pro shop you signed up with).

First off I got 30 minutes of video training with a local pro.  That straightened out a couple of things.  Next, it was time to get out on the open lanes and try a bunch of different bowling balls.  There were experienced Ebonite staff to help you get into the right ball and I must have tried about 6.  While I'm testing these, the staff guys were there and I ended up getting two more lessons.  Nobody tried to change me around, they each worked on some small thing that would help me.  They also resurfaced one ball for you, gave you a bottle of ball cleaner and other info.  The bottom line is I just got a Momentum Swing (one of the balls I demo'd), took it out on the lanes and threw 7 strikes in a row my first game with it.

I have to agree that there are a lot of similarities between fishing and bowling.  The more I learn about the latter, the more I see conditions change on the lanes, even after a few shots.  It's a lot of fun for something to do in the winter months.

djkimmel

Quote from: kennsandy on October 29, 2008, 07:14:51 PM
probably like if you went fishing and all the fish jumped in your boat, would you continue to do it, lol.

I'd enter more tournaments!!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: joshimoto son on October 30, 2008, 08:46:56 AM
I then had to ask myself, "What are the similarities between the two sports?"
One of the obvious connections between the two is the competition,
but there's so many other activities out there that will provide the
same spirit of competing, like euchre, billiards, trap shooting... Yahtzee!!!

joshimoto son ;D

Nice one Josh. Surprised no mention of shuffleboard though...??? Or maybe lawn darts? ;D

bosshawg

could do shuffleboard. bowling definately out of the question right now due to back. always have done, golf & fish in the summer - bowl & ice fish in the winter.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

WayneC

Good idea Dan...Think I can get that ball out there with a flippin' stick and some braid?

djkimmel

You can do whatever you set your mind too (and don't mind being laughed at about ;D )