Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

While out....

Started by Northern Bass Bum, October 06, 2008, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Bass Bum

While out and about this weekend, I happened to spot Scott Dobson out fishin' East Grand Traverse Bay.

We were up in the area for the early duck season, but also did some fishin' for whitefish and perch out of EGTB. Really cool seein' a pro (my first, too) around a local area. Is he from this area? Practcing for an event soon?

-NBB  :)
Bass Fishing... What can I say, I'm hooked!

TritonTR20

He was at the "Fishing with the Pros" at traverse city 10/2-10/5. He is from Clarkston, Michigan

Northern Bass Bum

What is "Fishin' With The Pro's" exactly? I didn't see any other, just him. Who else was supposed to be there?

-NBB  :)
Bass Fishing... What can I say, I'm hooked!

Firefighter Jeff

As I understand it.  Anyone willing to pay somewhere around $1,200 can fish with a pro.  Not sure how many pros show and I think it's for some charity.  Sorry i don't know more than that.  I was on East Bay the 5th up past Elk Rapids and got a couple dandy smallies in 35 feet of water.

TritonTR20

I know several people that have gone and loved it.

October has long been known for the beautiful fall colors it brings to the Grand Traverse region, but for the last decade it's also become known as the month when you can "Fish with the Pros."

The attraction for a small number of eager bass fishermen has been the chance to spend a weekend throwing lines with some of the nation's top professional bassmasters. Since 1999, Lifeline Youth & Family Services has been gathering top pros from across the country to spend a weekend fishing with amateur guests, who pay $1,250 apiece for the privilege.

This year's event is slated to take place Oct. 2-5 and will feature such luminaries as Ranger Boat CEO Forrest L. Wood, 2008 Bassmaster Classic winner Alton Jones, 2005 Forrest Wood Cup winner George Cochran, Scott Suggs, Mike Iaconelli, Jay Yelas, Mark Davis, Zell Rowland, and Kevin VanDam -- to name just a few. Each pro takes out a pair of amateur fishermen for what amounts to a two-day private fishing clinic.

All money raised by the event is donated to Lifeline, an agency that works with at-risk youths and their families in northern Indiana, Ohio and southern Michigan. The idea was that prominent pros would spend a weekend, donating their time and gear to the cause, and in turn the amateurs would take away invaluable knowledge gained from fishing with the bassmasters.

Traverse City was selected as the site because of its natural beauty and the fact that Field & Stream considers it one of the nation's top fishing areas, according to Fish with the Pros coordinator Ann Hettig.

"This has grown from a small fundraising idea to a sought-after event," Hettig said. "What's not to like? Fishing on a professional bass boat with a pro and all his gear, great food and prizes, fish stories and some friendly competition."

Fourteen people signed up for the first event, mostly businessmen from the Ft. Wayne, Ind., area where Lifeline is headquartered. Today, Fish with the Pros draws over 150 guests and instructors from all over the Heartland.

"When this first started we thought it might be difficult lining up the pros, but now they are calling us to make sure they're included," Hettig said. "Everybody wants to come to Traverse City -- beautiful area, great fun and great fishing. We've had to set limits on the number of available slots, and, because of the success of this event, other Fish with the Pros events have been started in Texas and Florida."

Participants stay at Great Wolf Lodge where all the dry land activities take place. Many participants bring the whole family with special packages being offered for the tournament. The registration fee of $1,250 includes three nights lodging, the fishing, raffle tickets, and meals for the contestant.

Contestants pair up -- two per pro -- and fan out around area lakes for two full days of fishing. Some of the more popular lakes, according to Hettig, are Elk, Torch, Skegemog, Lake Leelanau and Grand Traverse Bay. Although the main theme behind the event is a clinic on smallmouth bass fishing with the pros, there are some fun competitions and a weigh-in on Saturday to determine which team had the heaviest catch-of-the-day.

Fishing enthusiasts are encouraged to come out Saturday afternoon, Oct. 4, starting at 4 p.m. and meet the pros, which is when the weigh-in also takes place.

"It's a chance to get some autographs and some pictures with the pros, and there will be lots of activities going on," said Hettig. "They will be tossing all kinds of fishing goodies into the crowd from the stage. There will be a 4,000 gallon aquarium stocked with bass, and kids will be able to fish atop the aquarium under the direction of one of the pros; who will be giving out tips. You can experience the Ranger Boat Simulator, and all the top of the line bass boats with matching haul trucks will be on display in the parking lot. It's a lot of fun, and, of course, supports a worthy cause. It raises much needed charitable funds for Lifeline."

For more information on the event or to sign up as a guest fisherman, contact Hettig at (231) 632-3535, or log onto fishingwiththepros.com.

REEL_MAN

I fished the "Fish with the pro's" again this year. The event pairs two guests with a pro on Friday and Saturday. I went up to TC on Wed. night then took a guest out on Thur. for some extrs fishing. Good day to fish but loosy weather wind rain and I think I saw some sleet. Friday went back to Skegmog with a father and son. The weather improved but the fishing was rotten. Saturday I had two other guys and I decided to go to Platt. What a leap of faith, never saw the lake before, just a map. The weather was FANTASTIC and the fishing wasn't half bad. Had almost 8 lbs. in 2 fish (on Sat. the guests are allowed to weigh in one fish) it took 11+ to win. The guests get to experence what a tournment weigh in is like. As a pro it is fun to listen to the comments and answer questions. The best one I heard was what happens to the fish after you weigh in? Do you have a big fish fry? I think he was hungry.
The fee of $1250 covers everything while you are there (Great Wolf Lodge, Travers City) Rooms, food and passes to the indoor water park. Plus in the evenings before and after dinner the guests have the opportunity to interact with the pros, just talk, ask questions find what its like to be so crazy about fishing.  Many of the guests make arrangements to take their families, I took my wife. On Friday there were events planned for the wives while we fished.

For those who aren't familiar with Life line youth and family services it is a faith based orginzation that helps youth and families in trouble. They are in Fort Wayne Indiana. Not sure how any years they have been helping people but I know it has been over 15. The "Fishing with the Pro's" is one of the largest fun raisers they have each year (along with the Texas and Florida events). Along with the fishing they have a silent auction as well as an auction for trips, equipment, this year even a motor scooter and may more items. It all goes a good cause. If you want additional info;  info@lifelineyouth.org
I know with the economy the $1250 is high but the money bennifits so may people.  Many of the contributors are companies that use it as a tax write off but then give the trip to company associates as awards. If your a company owner you might think about it.
For those who have participated in the past thankyou, your participation has helped more people than you can imagine (past and future)

God Bless
REEL MAN

skeeterman190

Who do i have to contact to be involved in this event? Theres alot of big name in this deal but I also know that theres some not so known names that should show up.. I wanna be involved as a PRO. Id love to take some people fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-skeeterman190-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

REEL_MAN

you might give Ann Hettig a call. I know right now she is busy with the Texas event.

Reel man

Durand Dan

Here is a link that tells you about the purpose of the event and gives a contact number

http://www.lifelineyouth.org/events.aspx?pid=101