Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Skegemog Lake

Started by Atlas0017, September 29, 2018, 08:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlas0017

My wife and I are going to fish Skegemog the weekend of October 12th. It will be our first time on the lake and any tips or areas to fish would be awesome.

djkimmel

Make sure you search the forum for past reports and information on Skegemog. There's some available. Fall is a good time to fish there. I like the shallower east half of the lake. Lots of cover from way out to closer to shore to fish.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Atlas0017

Thank you for the information!I will definitely search the website for more information.

TheFishinPollock

IT should be set up just right by this coming weekend. Unfortunately , the weather will not be the best according to the local reports last night. Bring warm cloths for sure. From south of the launch where the houses end , all the way around to the torch river mouth is huntable state land so watch out for the duck hunters  early morning.

As for where. Straight across from the baggs road launch south is a giant weed flat . Always cruzers  motoring around. Along the narrows leading to elk lake is also a transition area where bass out of Elk come in to feed and go right back out to elk lake. Both sides of the narrows  are fantastic spots . From the torch river north along skeg's shoreline in 10 foot of water is a hefty weedline this year.  If there is bait running in Torch river, that is also a great river to find bass comming down from Torch lake to winter up in Skeg.

What to use:  hard jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits. Fish will want something moving if there are not a bunch of fronts moving through this week. If we get constant fronts moving through they will want something much much slower.  Fishing has been excruciatingly  slow the last 2 weeks . Lots of cold fronts  and 2 warm fronts moving through .  We will get one warm front mid week, then back to 50's with a cold front moving in Thursday daytime.

On saturday or sunday we will probably do a 20 dollar cheapo fun tournament out of baggs. You are more than welcome to join if you guys want to. We have not set it up yet so contact me before hand to see if we are doing one. Also. Check the MI tournament info site to see if there are any big events being run out of the baggs road launch. I have no clue if there are , but this time of the year brings up lots of downstate/ out of state clubs to our chain for their classics. If there are. I can guide you to  different launches around the connected lakes that might not be so busy .
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Atlas0017

Than you for the detailed information Matthew! If I can talk my wife into fishing your tournament I'm definitely game. I will message you on Friday to see if you're gonna have a tournament. Thanks again! Hope to see you on the water.

djkimmel

I'm thinking bass winter in Torch Lake because it is deeper and more stable than a shallow Skegemog that probably has some water flow even. Just my own theory (that I've heard other anglers share as well). Many think some bass travel TO Skegemog from the deeper lakes to spawn as well.

It seems like there's a point in very late fall where Skegemog gets really slow and tough - maybe because many bass have left to winter in the deeper lakes?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.