Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

weigh-in story

Started by dashaver63, July 01, 2008, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

From Bassmaster.com  I've never heard of this and never thought it could happen.

The Best Weigh-In Ever!
July 1, 2008

Jaison Annarino
My bass club had a tournament last Saturday, and I wish everyone could have seen what I saw.

Everyone came in safe and caught fish. The bags at weigh-in were kind of small, though ... except for one, and it was exceptional in many ways.

After I'd weighed my fish, one of the club members, Gerald, pulled me aside and said under his breath, "Jaison, you see Kelly over there on my boat?"

"Yah," I said, turning toward Kelly who was shoulder deep in the livewell.

"Does he need some help?" I asked. For some reason, I was whispering, too.

"Nah," Gerald smiled, "We fished together today. Go over there and look in the weigh-in bag he's got hanging off the side of the boat."

I started to mosey toward Kelly, who was still struggling with something in the livewell.

Now, Kelly's one of those "good men" that women are always wondering about meeting and men just feel comfortable around because of his character. He asks how you're doing as soon as he sees you, wears a cowboy hat and often has a cigarette dancing around under his mustache while he's talking to you. He's fished for years and has always — always — been happy to share his experience. And, by the way, Kelly's nearly 80 years old, a non-boater and still works every day as an electrician.

I reached Gerald's boat and said, "Hey, Kelly! How'd you do today?"

"hello, young man," he replied, cigarette dancing, his arm still struggling in the livewell.

"Open that bag up, would you?" he asked ... and proceeded to pull out a monster largemouth that barely fit in the livewell.

"Let me be the first to congratulate you on your win," I said to the big grin wearing a cowboy hat. "Well done, sir!"

As Kelly crawled down off the boat, I pulled the bag off the cleat and handed it to him. He had a pretty proud swagger walking toward the scales.

When he reached the weigh-in line, he stood around talking with the other guys for a few minutes waiting his turn.

Suddenly, we all heard Kelly shout, "Oh, no!"

Everyone turned toward him and asked what's wrong.

"Oh, no!" he shouted again holding his bag wide open with both hands.

It looked like Kelly's bag had two cats fighting in it as water splashed and sprayed over the top from the turmoil within.

"He's eatin' him!" Kelly shouted.

"What?" about 10 of us asked in unison.

"He's eatin' him! He's eatin him! ... He's ate him!" Kelly said in disbelief as the bag suddenly became calm again.

He reached down in the bag and pulled out that huge bass ... with a two-pound bass' tail sticking out of its mouth.

"He ate my other bass," Kelly said. "Dang!"

Most of us just stood there looking dumbfounded, but one fellow quickly grabbed Kelly's bass and put it on the weigh-in table. A few extra hands helped to pull the smaller bass out of the other's giant maw, scared but breathing, and return them both to Kelly's bag.

When it was over, Kelly fixed his hat on his head and said he felt sorry for "any critter that was that hungry."

All of this took probably took less than 30 seconds but it seemed like several minutes. No one had ever seen that happen before in a weigh-in bag and, unfortunately, except for one fellow with a cell phone, no one had a camera to record the sight.

My friend Kelly ended up winning that tournament with three fish — one almost 6 pounds and the other two just glad to be out of that bag!

Watch those weigh-in bags guy's! a limit could turn into 1 huge fish just like that!