Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the best hook for drop shotting goby baits?

Started by Erie660, June 23, 2008, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erie660

I mainly use the standout drop shot hooks (red ones) with drop shot tubes and have great success with them. I have also used goby's with this hook with some success also but there is not much hook left after hooking the goby on. I have tried the split shot-drop shot hooks but after hooking the goby the weight of the goby wants to make the hook lay down. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to matter which knot I try the goby always wants to lay flat and yes I always run the tag end back through the hook eye. After tying the hook on it looks good and sticks straight out like it is suppose to until I put the goby on. I know there are better hooks for using gobys than the stand out hooks. Thanks for any advise or tips.

McCarter

I have heard that the Nemesis Baits goby suspends horizontally on the hook in the water.  I even seen it do so at the Wonderland Marine West Extravaganza a few monthes ago.  This might solve your problem.

As far as hooks go, I really like a Gamakatsu finesse wide gap.  Its excellent for using baits with a bulkier head, like a tube, or a big goby.  I also really like the Owner down shot hooks.  A local pro by the name of Kevin Lynn Barrows turned me on to those a few seasons back.  As long as you find a light wire hook with enough gap to hold your baits, you should be fine.

McCarter himself :-\'

Erie660

Thanks for the quick reply. I have some of the hooks you mentioned. I also have been checking out the nemisis gobys and am interested in getting some. Thanks

SethV

I like the Owner Drop Shot in 1/0.  Works fine with the thick Gulp Gobies.

Revtro

Ditto on the Owner.  I really like the straight shank dropshot 1/0.  I just cleaned out BPS on them.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

MIBassKid

What's the best knot to be tying your hook onto a drop shot line?

Revtro

The only knot I've ever used is a Palomar.  If necessary, I'll pull the line back through the eye after I tie the knot to keep the hook facing the proper direction.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

I've always used the standout dropshot hooks. When I use the bigger goby baits like the Gulp goby, instead of going up through the bottom of the bait, I go in through the middle of the nose and out the top, same with tubes. Other than those 2 baits, there has always been plenty of gap for me, I use the biggest standout hooks they make. The Poorboy's and Nemisis baits work pretty good on them. And a palomar knot is all I use.

Bender

I have many different ones, but recently I have been using the normal drop shot hooks by Gammy I think, they are all in a Plano box. I like the way the Owner ones are shaped and hold the head, but I have bent several of them since the wire is so light.  ???
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Cheetam

I'm a big fan of the Gammy Split Shot/Drop Shot for most skinny baits (them suckers is sharp!).  I just got some 1/0 which is the largest size they make to see if they will handle the fat head goby baits (so far, I have been using a size 1 or 2 Gammy EWG and it has done pretty well).
Jeff

REEL_MAN

owner 1/0 mosquito holds the point much better than the gamakatsu

TritonTR20

I like the Owner mosqueto hooks. They have a bigger gap than the Gamakatsu's do. I also like them for wacky rigs.

bshaner

Quote from: TritonTR20 on June 24, 2008, 09:49:51 AM
I like the Owner mosqueto hooks. They have a bigger gap than the Gamakatsu's do. I also like them for wacky rigs.

That was my exact response right down to the punctuation. 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

TritonTR20

Great minds think alike. It also helps that I works at Disk's Sporting Goods and they carry them. Can't beat the 25% discount!

Waterfoul

I ran a little experiment today on Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids.  Fished about an hour and a half using a 1/0 Standout hook and my normal Reeds Lake drop shot bait (no, I won't tell you what it is!).  8 lb floro and 1/4 drop shot weight (it was windy!!).  Results were 2 of 6 fish HOOKED and fought were actualy boated.  I lost a fish that had to be on it's weigh to 5 lbs half way to the boat.  I lost a fish that was in the 3 pound range half way to the boat.

I then changed to the Owner Downshot hook.  Results were 5 of 6 fish hooked were boated including several in the 2.5 lb range.  The only fish I lost was a dink at around 12" or so.  These Owner hooks are the sharpest hooks I've found... if you look at them wrong they are stuck in your finger!!

This is not the first time I've noticed the Owner hook out landing the Standout.  My back seat partner on Wed. nights has lost several keeper sized fish the last couple weeks while fishing the Standout... while I have pretty much landed every fish that even looks at the Owner hook.

So if anyone wants several packages of Standouts... stop on by and pick them up.  I'm sticking with the Owners.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

csfishslayer

I Started using # 2 circle hook for drop shots and have had good success with them. They are much cheaper then the stand out hooks An I think they work just as good. I buy them at wally world for like 3$ a 12 or 15 Pk. good luck with your search
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

bassdisaster

Ive seen those standouts get tangled on the cast, and actually be in the water with the hook facing the wrong direction, tap, tap, hookset, no fish ha ha ha, why would you want to even allow a chance for a standout to tangle, Gamakatsu' and Owner make 2 of the finest Dropshottinng hooks you can buy, why mess with a good thing!