Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:54:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Silver Lake/Grand Traverse Bay

Started by Chewy, June 15, 2008, 10:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chewy

My family and I are renting a cottage on Silver Lake just outside of Traverse City 6-21 to 6-28.  I have never been on Silver Lake but I have read there are Smallies and Largies in there.  My question is what stage of pre-spawn-post are the fish in? 

I also have a queestion about the Bay.  I have an 1992 with a 150.  I have no  big water experience.  Is it safe for my son and I to put in on the leeward side of Old Mission Point and fish out of the wind in a 18' bass boat.  I have read many articles about big smallies spawning there this time of the year and would like to try it, however I want both of us to come back in one piece.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

chrisvmo

yah its awsome up there I have a 95. 18 ft. and have had no problems up there...also take a day and fish long lake its right by silver and its my favorite smallmouth lake in the state this time of year.

TheFishinPollock

Most of the lakes up here are either in a late prespawn or a full on spawn. Only lake I have not seen beds on up here is Six Mile lake by East Jordon.  Water temps are anywhere from 68 to 72 degrees. 

I fished silver this year 2 weeks ago and got a few. Some good solid fish, some I was not sure how they got the spinnerbait in their mouths.

As for the bay. It's cold still. Ive seen some smallies in the Elk River  dam area this past week. My guide friends doing salmon  have seen them moving around  near the drops and shallows on both bays on the way out to their fishing grounds.  Running out there isn't bad in my 17 foot Champ as long as the wind is not over 10 from the west or east. South winds put some good rollers out there and anything brisk outa the north or northwest will make ya think twice.  Just use common sence. You know what your boat will handle .

Chrisvmo is right about long lake. It's chock full of nice big smallies also.  It's very clear and  bluebird days make it hard to fish most of the time.   
A few other lakes in the area ar Leelanau, Glenn, and lake Ann.  All good choices for smallies and a coupla largemouths.

Good luck up here and hope you enjoy the area. We love it up here.

Matthew
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc