Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

YEA BABY!! I got sunburned today!!!

Started by djkimmel, April 21, 2008, 02:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Went out non-ice fishing for the first time in 2008 and I got my first sunburn. Not that big a deal - the sunburn part, I mean. All part of being a fair-skinned, blue-eyed redhead. I got burned just a little around the edges despite 2 slathers of 50 sunscreen.

We used to put some big crappie in the boat on this lake when the water was much higher, up in the wood and brush, but the water dropped several feet. There's still some wood, but not in as many areas so the crappie moved on to lilly pads and roots, and up into the cattails.

Several seasons ago, big crappie in the cattails was a blast!! But the water has dropped more and now the cattails may be too shallow? Last year didn't pan out much, but I must have some optimism in me because I go back.

Wouldn't you go back to fish stuff like this?!?

Actually, here is a stretch more like what we've wacked them from before:

You can see some pads just coming up. In fact, they seemed to sprout out of nothing as the day progressed. I was casting to them on the way in to the back when I caught my only crappie of the day. Probably doesn't seem wise to give away the climax of the story already, but it's the truth. Caught this one on a Gulp! maggot and slip bobber from youth pads:

Not huge, but it's a crappie. And that's all she wrote.

But that is not the end of my story. It takes time to get sunburned with a lot of 50 power sunscreen...

I was thinking how nice it would be to slam the metal to a big ole dogfish when I looked down to see one swimming right out from under my boat.

Like a gift! A big slimy, ancient, tooth gift...

A little jumpy though because it started to swim off when I reached for my ever present (in the spring for sure) dogfish wacking lure. But when my dogfish wacking lure hit the water, ole doggy changed its mind and that was all she wrote... well, after some spectacular jumps, body-jerking, rolling, twisting and teeth-gnashing, I got it in:

Way to start off the year!! After that though, it was a bunch of bait-stealers although I did manage to snatch this little bandit. Little being the key, but huge compared to the real tiny bait stealers...

Still, a little show stopper with all of the colors though, don't you think?

But the real cool deal was way in the very back. Normally, there are a lot of bass roaming around these same areas and I wasn't seeing many... until I got right on top of the cattails - then I saw this dude here. Not a big surprise, but a pleasant one nonetheless:

April 20th and I see my first bass on a bed!!! 15 to 16 inch male. I'm pretty sure it's the male because an 18 or so inch female was swimming in and out, but much more shy than this little trooper - he wasn't shy at all as long as I didn't make loud noises.

Then I saw, farther back in the cattails, another suspicious spot followed by having an almost 4 pound female come out to see what I was up to. I watched what I thought was the bed, but saw nothing at first. Finally, a shy 13 to 14 inch male stuck his head out from other some grass. I'm thinking, you go boy! Got hisself a pretty big female and she wants me to leave. For crying out loud, I interrupted their happy time.

I tried and I tried to get a picture of both of them on the bed. At times they were getting frisky, nipping, bumping and pecking at each other. I just couldn't get a good shot of both without glare or spooking the big female off. The best I could do it use super stealth mode to get them unawares of my presence and shoot this pic:

I could see the female just to the right pointed right at me behind the new cattails to the right. Oh well, I tried. I saw another good sized male hanging out farther down the edge near a hole in the cattails. I figured I'd got back to the bait stealers and leave the lovebirds alone.

Eventually, I had to get more exercise and row back to the campground. I'm thinking though, opening weekend might be more than a little exciting on the lake next weekend...?!?

Problem is, I don't think I can float my boat at the ramp and without 4-wheel drive... I may not make it out from even trying (the last time did not go well...). Anyone have a smaller boat and 4-wheel drive want to meet me in Barry County here next weekend???

I happen to know there's a nice one living here... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cheetam

April 20th, bass on beds...didn't we have snow a week ago?  Crazy...
Jeff

blakstr1

Awesome Dan!  That t-shirt is 11 years old and it still fits you!  :P  Pictures are really good too.  ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Flippin222

Very nice. I was at Wolverine Lake and the water temps were as high as 65 degrees in some areas. There were several fish on beds.

Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

Jay-MadWags

Nice story / pictures Dan.  Did you get those pictures I sent you from my fishing trip to Tennessee where I fished Percy Priest, Old Hickory and Guntersville?  Oh yeah, count me in as a non boater.  But you probably aready knew that. . .

Jason
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Jay-MadWags

If you didn't get the pictures I'll try to post them here. 

I went done to Nashville, TN April 4-9.  I fished with my good buddy Shay Doming.  Fished Percy Priest, Old Hickory and Guntersville.  The two days we fished Guntersville we had 20 - 24 pound limits. 

Good times.
Jason
Jason Madigan

Jay-MadWags

Wait, forgot these pigs!
Jason Madigan

djkimmel

I got the pics. I was jealous (VERY). I thought I emailed you back asking if I could use them? I sometimes think I do things and don't acutally do them... Glad you got them posted. And yes, I have you down on the new nonboater list in the DK Open board. Boater list up too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I can't believe no one has taken me up on fishing that tree above opening weekend. I had a nice one swim right up to my boat and say, "see you next weekend - I'll be waiting right here... maybe with some bigger friends?!?"

Oh yeah...

Durand Dan

Heck, I'd have went with ya! I was under the impression that the only time you had a chance to fish was the DK Spring Open and the DK Fall Open. ;D

DD

djkimmel

Seemed like that last year... especially for about 7-8 weeks late summer. Sadly.

Actually, I want to go back either Saturday or Sunday the opening weekend, but also sadly, I can't get my boat onto the lake because the ramp is too shallow due to several years of low water, and my dually gets stuck on the ramp even trying.

I need to find someone with 4-wheel drive and a boat that is 18 or smaller to get into the lake...?? Otherwise... I may just rent a boat again and row as far as I can - it's an awesome lake and the bass are calling me... I can hear them even now...

Probably go to Ovid for a few hours the other day. They're calling me from there too...

Durand Dan

Dan,
Let me know. I've gotten my boat down a lot of substandard launches.

DD

djkimmel

The ramp is shallow water with a steep approach. A couple dips and humps. I think my boat is just too heavy and my present dually is as low in traction as dually's seem to be. I almost didn't get out last time I tried to float the boat (it wouldn't float).

If you think you can make it down and back out - I saw a single axle Skeeter was in and out the other day, and he didn't look to have 4-wheel drive - I love the lake and want to get out there with a trolling motor and gas motor to cover some water looking for the rumored 25" 10 to 11 pounder caught 2 weeks ago by local crappie anglers!!! I'll take some 2 to 4 pounders just fine too though!!

If you want to go, pick Saturday or Sunday and let me know. It's in Barry County about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, but it is well worth the drive. Just ask cameraguy! He was talking about wishing he could make it over there about an hour ago... but he as to wooor-rk. ;D

MIBassKid

Dan if you go to Ovid on Sunday and don't have anyone riding along in back I'd love to get over there with you. Too bad I don't have a boat or I would take you up on that offer on the other lake. Let me know.
-Luke

djkimmel

Well - lets see if Durand Dan wants to go opening day after that 11-pounder...

Durand Dan

Quote from: djkimmel on April 25, 2008, 12:18:51 AM
Well - lets see if Durand Dan wants to go opening day after that 11-pounder...

I'm already committed to the gathering at Kent Lake with the EBA group! 11lbs.? Bass?:( :( Maybe I can call in sick ;D

djkimmel

I probably knew that - the memory is not linear and fully retrievable at times ;D

How about Sunday then? Maybe Luke can go with us? I really want to hit that lake, but I know I can't get my boat off the trailer there... I may have to go to the other lake nearby then Saturday. Just being close makes me feel better... and there's some pretty darn big bass in the other lake too. Haven't heard about any giants (over 8 pounds) in a while there - I usually get a few over 5 to pushing 6 there each spring, but a guy swears he caught a 12 pounder there about 15 years ago and the MDNR has a 9-4 mounted from the lake from 20+ years ago.

Now look... I've got myself all worked up. I have to go out and get the boat ready... tires... then brakes...

MIBassKid

Well let me know whenever you find out, if we can't get out Sunday I'll be fishing on a lake that my grampa caught a 8+ through the ice this winter in Barry County, they have alot of real small lakes that hold giants over there.
-Luke

Durand Dan