Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

TC Area

Started by 8pt172, February 15, 2017, 11:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8pt172

Hello, I am new to this forum.  I have read many great threads and learned some valuable information. THX  I was an avid fisherman for the first 35 years of my life, but sold my Bass Cat and started a family (2000-2015)...Now I have recently purchased a new 16' G3 deep V boat and am getting back into fishing big-time.

My question is a very general one...not looking for secrets: 

I will be taking my 2 kids to TC for a week of camping and fishing June 13-19. We will be staying at the State Park.  I have fished the East Bay with some decent success.  Also had good success on Long Lake.  That is the extent of my northern fishing trips, but that was several years ago.  I am looking just to catch fish, preferably smallmouth.  I know depending on water temps, early or late spring, etc will have a big impact on the spawn and fish location. 

If anyone could recommend a couple smaller bodies of water that hold good numbers of SMB.  I can do the rest.  When the weather cooperates, I plan on hitting the East and West Bays, Little Traverse Bay, and Skegemog. when the winds won't allow me on the Great Lakes I was looking at Charlevoix, Walloon, Crooked, and Pickerel as possible waters to try.....

Thanks, Jim

TheFishinPollock

You pretty much have the lakes you are going to need to hit covered. Elk and Torch are also good lakes. Green lake has smallies and is out of the wind. Charlie will be windy on the north lake if the bays are windy. Waloon can get gnarly also depending on wind direction. 

Make sure to send me a message a few days before you get up here. I can shoot by with some waypoints for you to use on all those bodies of water.  I might even have a secret lake for you to fish on if the wind is real bad, but you will need 4 wheel drive to get in and out.

I'm the only member of GLB up here that I know of.

Matt "the polock" Novak
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

8pt172

Thanks Matt,

I will definitely give you a bump before I head up that way.  I am really looking forward to seeing what the TC area has to offer during that time of the year.  I hear and see so many great reports about the Brown Bass fishing up there.  I was a Big Green Bass Hunter before selling my boat.  My personal best is 10.79 from Blue Cypress in FL... My personal best in MI is 7.64# after spitting up a 6 inch perch.....I haven't caught a Brown one that will tip 5#....

LennyB

Ditto to what Matt said. I wouldn't worry about finding to more lakes. The ones you mentioned are good lakes and big bodies of water. They will take many trips to really learn and  fish them.

djkimmel

Yes... you have the best of them covered pretty much already!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

intermediate is good if its windy. bellaire you can also get out of the wind. both great lakes.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

8pt172

Thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated.