Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

black lake, secord lake

Started by brg_bassmaster, January 24, 2008, 11:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brg_bassmaster

coming home on leave beginning of june from new mexico going to my wifes parents house in onaway. we will be staying on black lake wondering how the bass fishing is i have never been there. some tips and techniques for early summer would be helpful. also going to be going to secord lake when i lived in michigan did alot of tournaments there but not the early summer ones mainly fall. have done ok in summer fishing the back waters any tips there wold be nice to ok thanks for the help. we did good on frogs and docks. thanks.

blakstr1

Quote from: brg_bassmaster on January 24, 2008, 11:41:19 AM
coming home on leave beginning of june from new mexico going to my wifes parents house in onaway. we will be staying on black lake wondering how the bass fishing is i have never been there. some tips and techniques for early summer would be helpful. also going to be going to secord lake when i lived in michigan did alot of tournaments there but not the early summer ones mainly fall. have done ok in summer fishing the back waters any tips there wold be nice to ok thanks for the help. we did good on frogs and docks. thanks.

There are 2 of us on here that are actually from Onaway; Savage and myself.  Send me an IM and I'll fill you in on Black Lake.  Secord is alot of fun too, we both live in Saginaw now and make it up to Secord a little bit.  A lot of great lakes / rivers in that area.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Skulley

I am headed up to Black Lake for a week in Feb.  I hope to catch some fish through the ice.  Like to get some walleyes and crappies. 

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Savage

For early summer Black lake is hard to beat, you can really fill the boat with smallies in a hurry.  If you are not familiar with dropshotting, I suggest you learn that one fast.  The smallies start to get into wolf packs on Black when they get out of the pre-spawn funk, and they are really aggressive, even on sunny days.  It's funny, but some of the best fishing (for numbers) can happen right in front of the state park in ultra shallow water near the breakwalls.  If you use a small dropshot worm and keep it about 6 inches off bottom, you are going to get bit.  Another good place in early summer is the inside weed edge on the long weedbeds that form along the eastern shore, right at the dropoff.  If it's a calm day, you will see plenty of fish as you use your electric motor to move along the weedline.  Just cast well ahead of the boat and hang on.  You're likely to get a walleye or two doing this as well.  Same technique as above, use the dropshot worm.  If you can drag out of bed early enough to get out before sunup, you can really nail the walleye and smallies on white jerkbaits in the area too.

When you get up there, maybe we can go out one day.  I spend alot of time up there in the summer.  Just hit me with an IM and we can work out some details.  Always happy to help out a guy from the military.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

BigSmallie

If you will be there early June......just go to the North end of the lake and whack the hell out of them on beds.

When your arm gets sore.....take a boat ride to another promising location and start looking for more beds.   You will have fun......it's a nice lake with big Largies and Smallies.

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"