email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your favorite color/pattern for a popper in MI  (Read 2207 times)

detroithiker

What is your favorite color/pattern for a popper in MI
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »

I own one that has a frog pattern but I kinda think I should have another color option.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
Re: What is your favorite color/pattern for a popper in MI
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »

I like white - hologram flake bottom poppers with rattles on the inland lakes. On the bigger waters l like some chartreuse to show throw with a bigger pop and maybe a clacker instead of a rattle. Just my preference.

I use a number of colors but don't worry about the top too much because the bass are coming from below. Sometimes it's just nice being able to see the popper a little better with a flashy top or a red mouth.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »

I have Optic Poppers, Pop R's, a Splashoot and one or two Sugois left along with a few others that I switch up with. I had a no longer made Excalibur G3 that was really working well last year until a big dogfish ate it! I can't find anymore of those but I wish I could.

It had a nice rattle that the bass seemed to prefer last summer the way they were blasting it! Should have bought several but I didn't know the bass would like the rattles that much.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • 1995 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Evinrude Vindicator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

I usually fish a gold color or a perch/bluegill pattern. Ghost bluegill/perch in the spring and early summer then chrome bluegill/perch with orange belly in the summer/fall.

detroit1

• GLBass Friends
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:23:09 PM »

I think it doesn't matter what color you use for a popper or any surface lure. Years ago, vacationing on Otsego Lk. (Gaylord) I went swimming with my surface lures both sunny and cloudy days, to look at them from underneath. I had baits with white, yellow, clear, chrome,green, blue, and black bottoms. I looked up at them from about 4 and 8 feet below, and I could only see shades of grey, not colors. Of course, black was the easiest to see, followed by green, blue, and yellow. White and clear were about the same. My favorite popper is a chug-bug that I painted a perch bottom and a white top with a row of black dots. (which makes it easy to watch while doggin' it). I know others will swear by their favorite color(s) for topwaters, and if it works for you, that is great. Go paint a cheap poppers' bottom black and give it a try.
WAVE THERAPY

YpsiBass

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • 1995 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Evinrude Vindicator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »

Also keep in mind the similarities between fish eyes and human eyes.  It's like looking in a mirror.

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

I one time wasn't getting bit on topwater on Kentucky Lake but my co-angler was. He was using all black. I took a Super Spook Jr. and put black electrical tape on it and started catching bass!

detroithiker

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:19 PM »

I thank you all for the help, you are a great group of people, I picked 3 colors and can't wait to give em a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge